Low pitch rumble

Fenriz

Reaction score
Hi guys
Not sure if this has been covered before, so sorry if it has.

When I accelerate and reach 70mph there is a deep low pitch rumble coming from the rear, it only happens for about 5-10mph above 70 then goes away. Any ideas what the problem could be.

Car is as per signature.

Things to check;

>Tyre pressures - Makes ure they are all correct and set to the sticker on the insde of the fuel filler cap
>Tyre tread - Any signs of abnormal wear. I.E. bald on either edge/feathering or "stepping" on the edges of the tread
>Suspension play - Jack up one corner of the vehicle and secure with an axle stand. Release the parking brake/put it in neutral. Grab the wheel at the top and bottom (12oclock and 6oclock, if you imagine it as a clock). Alternate between pushing the top/pulling the bottom and pulling the top/pushing the bottom. if no play is found, repeat at 9oclock and 3oclock.

Try the above and report back.

Good luck.

Move your rear wheels to the front and see if the rumble follows the wheels - not uncommon for tyres to become noisy.

It's defiantly not a tyre related issue, did it before I had the latest set of tyres fitted, it seems more mechanical as it only occures while accelerating above 70 for 5-10 mph then disappears. With cruise set at say 68 it's dead quiet, but as soon as I hit 70 the rumble starts.

Another thing not related to this is when accelerating in 4th or 5th the engine seems to pulse as it picks up speed, if that makes sense, any ideas?

It's defiantly not a tyre related issue, did it before I had the latest set of tyres fitted, it seems more mechanical as it only occures while accelerating above 70 for 5-10 mph then disappears. With cruise set at say 68 it's dead quiet, but as soon as I hit 70 the rumble starts.

Another thing not related to this is when accelerating in 4th or 5th the engine seems to pulse as it picks up speed, if that makes sense, any ideas?

Have you Checked the rear prop-shaft donut? Mine has the same issue and there is a lot of play in the rubber donut, So I will be changing mine.

Reactions: crunchie
How do I go about checking the prop shaft donut, is it an easy job to replace and what sort of price would I be looking at to get it replaced.

100% thats rear prop shaft doughnut bush it was same with mine had I replaced now its silent and good again.

I too get a deep low pitch rumble coming from the rear. Mine seems worst on the way home from the local Indian restaurant.

Thanks everyone, cars in for its MOT on Friday so I'll ask how much to sort it.

Just an update, although very late I know.

I have replaced my rear propshaft doughnut (massive help from BMH.01) and the silence is heaven..

Well worth doing just to stop that annoying rumble