help locking bolt on wheel damaged

Reaction score
Hi all, as the title says im after some advice, I have a puncture and was going to put spare on only to discover the splines in the locking bolt itself are damaged so the key wont grip to turn, has anyone got a possible solution?. The key is fine and removes the locking bolts on the other three wheels.
Thanks in advance

Do you have breakdown cover? They will come out and butcher it off

Do you have breakdown cover? They will come out and butcher it off

I had a missing key for my shogun I used a 1/4" drive socket and hammered it in to the bolt it made it form the shape and I was able to remove it .

Thanks for the replies will call my garage tomorrow to see what they can do, mine are genuine audi wheels nuts that came with the car

I had a missing key for my shogun I used a 1/4" drive socket and hammered it in to the bolt it made it form the shape and I was able to remove it .

+1 if all else fails, time to use a socket & a heavy hammer :)

do you mean hammer a socket over the external diameter of the locking bolt?

Machine mart do a locking nut remover kit, they have a reverse self tapping thread inside so they grip, most decent garages should have some too

Depends on the locking type fitted as they don't fit/work on some, as I tried myself, the outer protector metal ring stopped the extractor from getting a grip & just turned on itself.

Depends on the locking type fitted as they don't fit/work on some, as I tried myself, the outer protector metal ring stopped the extractor from getting a grip & just turned on itself.

I have irwin rounded bolt sockets but as above the outer sleeve stops this but sometimes you can rip it off I hammered the socket into the bolt it formed the shape of the key with bit of hard hammering then used it on all 4 wheels.

the bolts are the standard ones and they do appear to have a ring around the inner part

Managed to remove the nut by parking close to my house and using a jack to hold the breaker bar on the nut and turn

Reactions: NHN
Now that is thinking outside the box, well done that man :)