S3 stage 1 remap done now which panel filter?

prt57

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought my S3 new in 2007 and resisted the remap route until a couple of weeks ago.
After much thought, I ordered a bluefin as I liked the idea of DIY in my own garage and the fact that
I could uninstall it and get a refund if I did not like it. My son tweaked up his fiesta with a bluefin and installation was trouble free.

Many of you will say I should have gone down the revo AMD, R-tech route as they extract yet more power but I am happy with my purchase and the car goes very well IMHO with the map following the original bhp and torque curves.
In addition to the map I removed the early diaphragm based diverter valve and fitted the later oem valve. I looked at the forge version but like things to look original. Hence I am not really interested in a CAI as butchering the engine cover is not the route I want to take. I do not want to change the exhaust.

Just for information, which is the currently preferred CAI by the community and which other engine cover is a straight swop.

Will a panel filter improve my stage 1 further or is it a waste of time? I had a revo branded filter on my Mk 4 GTI 1.8T and it just tore along one edge so was basically rubbish!!!
So which is the best filter if it is worth fitting bearing in mind I still want the air to be filtered and not let all of the nasties into my engine!
Thanks for your thoughts,

Peter

Thats a long time to resist remapping, I lasted about a month I think it was.

CAI, either Revo or AMD seem to be the better ones at the moment - good improvments to be had with these, I wouldnt even bother putting in a different panel filter.

The TTS engine cover will go on the engine but will need a few bolts to fit.

Me, personally, I have never been a fan of bluefin - always wanted my cars set up properly by a tuner. I have always been of the thought that you have to live with the map everyday so I want it to be nigh on perfect :)

That said I have never been in a bluefin'd car - just my own feelings on the matter.

So when is stage 2/2+ pencilled in for :racer: :rockwoot:

Hello Dean and thank you for your reply. My thoughts about the bluefin go along the lines that Audi did not set up the original to suit my exact car and they used a generic map. The car drove very well on this map and I am still happy with the standard car's performance. So Superchips will have developed their map on an S3 in a similar way, no doubt they rolling roaded their test car and then thrashed it around until they were happy with a product that could be marketed.
I understand that the increase in bhp and torque will not be as great as others out there but the pull is smooth rather than the power band type maps of some companies.
We went to a local tuning company to see how they measured the increase in bhp without a rolling road. The guy said that he takes the car up the road making a mental note of which tree was reached when 60mph was shown on the speedo. They then install the map and then rethrash the car down the road to see if it was going quicker by the same tree!! This is not for me.
Before my son had the bluefin on his Fiesta he went to a custom mapper often praised in Fast Ford magazine. The car went very well at high revs but was jerky and splutters at lower revs and so was not smooth to drive around town. He had the map put back to standard and then bought the bluefin. This map felt oem but with a bit more power.
Any more information as to whether a panel filter would be worth while on my stage 1 and if so which is best. No stage 2 planned as this is where the big money starts being spent which you never recoup when you eventually sell the car. 37 years of motoring has taught me that every £ you spend on aftermarket goodies only benefits the 2nd owner of the car in the long run!
thanks,
Peter

Last edited:
Reactions: SPARTAN91
I did alot of research on this forum about panel filters and the general idea was, put the £50 in the bank and use it for a proper CAI. You wont see any gains in reality i don't believe.

And the generally thought on filtering qualities, is stick with the OEM paper ones if thats what your worried about.

AND as regards to the engine cover, when fitting a CAI you dont need to 'butcher' the cover, only remove it. If you wanted to sell up etc, you can just place the cover and olf filter back in. And as Dean mentioned the TTS cover fits and alot of people have done this.

JJ.

Thanks JJ,
do you have a link to any photos or guides of modded cars with the TTS cover and a CAI installed. When I referred to butchering the cover, this is what some people did in the early days back in 2007/8 before there were alternative covers available.

Peter

I cannot see any other panel filter making a difference imho. For a stage 1 there is no need to change anything at all and for me that was the massive reason I went for it. Unlike my Subaru, the Audi has had nothing changed at all and still goes like stink.
Enjoy the new power!

Thanks JJ,
do you have a link to any photos or guides of modded cars with the TTS cover and a CAI installed. When I referred to butchering the cover, this is what some people did in the early days back in 2007/8 before there were alternative covers available.

Peter

I should be able to get you pics on Wednesday as thats when I'm getting mine but there are other pictures of the fit on here :)

Glad to hear from another happy bluefin customer the map had the same effect on my A3 but it still didn't stop me from putting in a pipercross filter in the box even if you don't much out of it.

Here you go prt57:

Uploadfromtaptalk1380464234590

Not the full engine bay but I'm sure you get the idea