S-Tronic or manual.?

Phil-1

Regional Rep
Reaction score
Website
www.philseagust.co.uk
I'm finding it really hard to find a 5 door 2L 170bhp black edition with S -Tronic gear box. What are your views on the S - Tronic compared to the manual?

Should I just get another manual?

It really is up to you. I've had both and prefer the manual gearbox but it will depend on what type of driving you do. If your on the motorways a lot then I'd probably have the S Tronic

S tronic is very good, however bear in mind the costs of maintenance, clutches etc.

I was in a similar predicament, after bearing in mind the fact the tip tronic is still an auto (apparently it will switch gears if you rev too high), the Maintenence and cost if it fails, and the fact it wouldn't feel like I was really driving the car I settled on manual unless a perfect car came up that was s tronic in which case I'd get that.

Ive seen AMD have an update for the s tronic gearbox that gives you more control, if I did end up getting an s tronic I'd consider this. I'm viewing an a3 on Monday (manual) but if I don't get that I have my eye on a good deal for a s tronic.

I like the idea of the S Tronic for around town, and the paddle shift for when I'm driving it.
Might have a drive in both on the same day. Are there any issues with the S Tronic boxes?

I drove both and settled on stronic, always wanted a car with a double clutch gear box after hearing the hype etc!

i bought a manual because i had to, to get the quattro on my A3. But the gear changes are SOOO smooth and fast i would deffo of got Auto if i could of, looks wey more fun, faster, launch control, ease of driving and it is clearly the new way in cars. Expensive merc's and things dont even have a manual option anymore! This is the future! Wish i had an S3 with quattro AND s-tronic lol.

I have an s tronic black edition a3 and it is honestly very good. However, I only use my car at weekends really and I don't think you feel as involved with the driving as you would in a manual even with the paddles. When I go to buy an s3 for my next car ill seriously consider going back to manual. S tronic makes you lazy!

id have manual less on maintenance costs.. and cheaper to fix if the gearbox ****s itself and you have more control i think....

Had S-tronic boxes since 2003... Love them.
Perhaps the fact so few 170 S-tonics going around tells it's own success...

On another not. The DPF may not like been driven around town so much albeit you say it's your car at the weekend.

Had S-tronic boxes since 2003... Love them.
Perhaps the fact so few 170 S-tonics going around tells it's own success...

On another not. The DPF may not like been driven around town so much albeit you say it's your car at the weekend.

Sorry what's a DPF?
When I get my hands on it, it will get used ;-)

Diesel Particulate Filter. It collects carbon and when you are on a motorway run at a constant speed and revs it will regenerate which I believe means a flammable liquid is pumped in to burn out the build up of carbon. The one on my Focus caused me problems and apparently it's the one big thing to look out for on the A3 diesel.

By removing the DPF (or hollowing it) and having a remap so the EML doesn't appear you will gain power and economy as well as improve reliability.

Diesel Particulate Filter. It collects carbon and when you are on a motorway run at a constant speed and revs it will regenerate which I believe means a flammable liquid is pumped in to burn out the build up of carbon. The one on my Focus caused me problems and apparently it's the one big thing to look out for on the A3 diesel.

By removing the DPF (or hollowing it) and having a remap so the EML doesn't appear you will gain power and economy as well as improve reliability.

Thanks for the heads up.
Long time plans are a remap and induction kit

No problem, obviously get the DPF removed first. Not sure if they have an EGR but I guess they do so maybe get an EGR delete kit too or blanking plate. I'm sure diesel owners on here will know all the details as I am talking from a Ford diesel POV :)

No point in removing a DPF from a 2010 plate (or that kind of age)! If it starts giving you problems when it hits around the 60/70K mark then act on it.

No point in removing a DPF from a 2010 plate (or that kind of age)! If it starts giving you problems when it hits around the 60/70K mark then act on it.

Is that just because they are more reliable than the predecessors or are they more efficient too i.e. little to no impact on power and economy? Someone I know works for Audi in the servicing department and he was telling me they have sorted the newer DPFs but I assumed he was referring to failure rate only.

I only ever hear of DPF problems on cars that get to the 60/70k mark. I guess the more they've been used the bigger the build up of diesel particles in the filter and eventually they don't work as efficiently, especially when the car is only doing short runs.

Fair enough, I thought the DPF being present physically and in the ECU was enough to reduce power and efficiency but perhaps it's just when the DPF is 'clogged'. I am hopefully going for the 1.8 TFSI but if not might get a 2.0 170 TDI so it's useful to hear all of this.

Well, you are right in that you will have better power and efficiency but with the cost of removing the DPF etc. it's going to take you years to recoup that money!

I was just thinking about more power :p I spoke to AMD and they reckon a DPF removal and remap would bump it from 170 to around 220bhp, I guess most of this power is just the remap. As far as I know AMD are one of the best in the Essex area.