Chris NottVolks Autos
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Audi S3 vs golf gti mk5 gti ed30

Reverse Gear

Status

Question Audi S3 vs golf gti mk5 gti ed30

Just looking at new cars and need a bit of help deciding does anyone have experince of both of these am coming form a mk4 golf which was problmaic to say the least and have settle on these 2.

golf is cheaper than the S3
    S3 has more power

so what do people reckon?

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    S3
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

5th Gear

Status
    Would you choose a cheap heart bypass?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by asbos3 View Post
    Just looking at new cars and need a bit of help deciding does anyone have experince of both of these am coming form a mk4 golf which was problmaic to say the least and have settle on these 2.

golf is cheaper than the S3
    S3 has more power

so what do people reckon?
    Why settle for 2nd when you can have 1st.

When I grow up, I want a 964!

Status

My Social Networking

Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    Even though they are quite nice, I've always pictured Golf's as a poor mans A3/S3.

Defo S3.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

2nd Gear

Status
    Stage 1 map takes them both to the same power.

Edition 30 for me

Reverse Gear

Status
    i love these responces fine i shall go for the S3 then looks like a trip to the bank to sort some money out
    RedDejavu likes this.

Bazinga

Status
    thats what i like someone who doesn't arse about !! you won't regret the S3 i've had 2 of 'em.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

1st Gear

Status
    i love these responces fine i shall go for the S3 then looks like a trip to the bank to sort some money out
    Goodlad you wont regret it!

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    both are excellent cars. audi is a bit more classier and it has quattro which is the big plus when driving on rainy, cold winter days and of course on snow. they are both tunable to the similar figures but as i've said putting 360bhp through front wheels on a wet road isn't easy :D
    whitex8p likes this.
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

/ Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...

Rarely neutral

Status
    If you have the money,get the S3,otherwise,the ED30.

The ED30 is an excellent car and can be very quick,but the S3 has that bit more capability.

5th Gear

Status
    just do it and you wont regret it! S3 is going to be a totally new car for you, better interior, quattro, luxury looks and plenty of friends willing to push you to go and tune hell out of it sooner rather than later:]
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDejavu View Post
    ...... plenty of friends willing to push you to go and tune hell out of it sooner rather than later:]
    That is so true.

Buy it,enjoy it,and make it faster.

Status
    Ask the same question on the mk5 forum
    OVRA3 likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    s3 happy days, but is the golf not meant to be better handler?

Reverse Gear

Status
    the reason i asked on here is because i was elarning towards the S3 but ED30 was just a thought at the back the mind

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Dave-S3's Instagram Channel
    S3, had a MK5 golf and an 8P A3 before my S3 and although similar the audi felt like you where in a prestige car. No rattles etc was a much nicer place to be.

Rarely neutral

Status
    the reason i asked on here is because i was elarning towards the S3 but ED30 was just a thought at the back the mind
    As I said,both are good cars,but there is so much more you can get out of the S3,if you want to.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow R90 STL On Twitter Add R90 STL on Facebook Visit R90 STL's Instagram Channel
    no biased opinions here haha!! MK5 Gti is a very nice car. My friend has a mk6 Gti Edition 35 and it can certainly go! I have only seen his one on the road so for originality id say ed35 depending on your budget..

Reverse Gear

Status
    well my budget will be about 13,000 as i am selling my car and all mods seprately and then a get a loan from the bank so i dont have to worry about it not being realiably

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vroomtshh View Post
    Stage 1 map takes them both to the same power.

Edition 30 for me
    Although only one of them will be putting the power into the tarmac....

3rd Gear

Status
    I've got both and up to stage 2+ the Ed30 is a lot more fun.

The s3 has AWD and is built slightly better.... Apart from that, what one looks better to you?

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Get dales ed30 it's up on ed38 forums, suprised it ain't sold yet
    Outstanding Stage 2+ Edition30 MK5 GTi ** 353bhp - Mk5 Golf & Jetta - Edition 38 Forums
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

1st Gear

Status
    S3 better looks no wheel spin or torque steer!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    Get dales ed30 it's up on ed38 forums, suprised it ain't sold yet
    Outstanding Stage 2+ Edition30 MK5 GTi ** 353bhp - Mk5 Golf & Jetta - Edition 38 Forums
    Fair point. Do that! £11995

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DeckedS3 View Post
    I've got both and up to stage 2+ the Ed30 is a lot more fun.

The s3 has AWD and is built slightly better.... Apart from that, what one looks better to you?
    But above Stg2+.....you must be very pleased with your S3!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    But above Stg2+.....you must be very pleased with your S3!
    It's a totally different car now! I wouldn't even consider going BT on the Ed30.

But I've got used to the DSG on the Ed30, it's taken a few years but I really like it. When I jump in the S3 I sometimes wish it had S-tronic (mainly in traffic). The missus loves the DSG also (and I prefer her driving with DSG) Gives her one less thing to concentrate on....
    voorhees and PaulAr like this.

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

5th Gear

Status
    well my budget will be about 13,000 as i am selling my car and all mods seprately and then a get a loan from the bank so i dont have to worry about it not being realiably
    For £13k you could have a VERY nice ED30 and an OK S3 with higher miles.. Same internals no 4WD on the Golf but they handle well tough choice, I'd go with ED 30 for that kind of money if you can stretch a few more k's Id go S3
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI S-Line Quattro Stage 1 Tune it up - Lowestoft Custom Remap- 6187 RPM developing 260 bhp 279lbs ft Akoya Silver, Roof rails, Black heated Vienna Leather, Bose upgrade, Bluetooth

3rd Gear

Status
    I came from a Stage 1 Leon K1 which is essentially the same as the golf Ed30.

Have no regrets whatsoever moving to an S3, knowing I have grip in the wet is great - the DSG box is an excellent piece of kit too

It would have to be a dry day to get the power down in my Leon - god knows what it would have been like at stage 2+.

S3 all day, especially if you plan to map - lets face it, the weather in this country is either wet / damp or snowing, quattro helps immensely.
    Dean.

NME
    1st Gear

Status
    I went from a MK4 Golf GTi to an S3, and it was awesome.

I have not really had much experience of other Golfs, but the main thing that struck me about the S3 (and any Audi for that matter) was the build quality and the confidence I had when driving in the wet was far better.

Little things like when you close the door on the Audi - it goes "CLUNG" with a heavy and solid feel - like the door will protect you from being hit from the side way more than the lightweight feel of the Golf.

After going from a company car Audi 2.0 TFSI quattro to the Golf was a bit scary at first, as I was so used to 4WD, and it took me ages to get my feel for the 2WD in the wet again.

When I then bought my S3, it was like an old friend coming home, and I was able to corner and drive more safely (or at least it inspired more confidence when I did).

I know this is an Audi forum, but it looks better in my opinion and it seems to project a more aspirational feel - like it is the upgrade to the Golf somehow.

And if you tune the thing up, you'll love it.
    Last edited by NME; 26th September 2013 at 20:22.

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    My best friend has an edition 30.

It was used as Revo's software development car.

stage 2+ is unreal in that thing, relentless power, no dips, no matter the heat outside, it just runs far better.

At the end of the day it's the same lump under there bar a slightly weaker bottom end. None of that matters unless you go more than 440bhp as it's capable of that just like the S3 is.

Whiteline anti-lift kit and rear ARB and it outruns (stage ahead granted) and out corner my S3 no problem at all and I don't drive slowly at all!!
    Some on here have had the pleasure of riding shotgun...

In the wet, different story completely. Audi much better, and the noise from the Milltek when you hit the limiter with DSG and the traction control off is insanely good.

Golfs come with a better spec, tilt down on reverse mirrors for example, can't get that on our Audi's.

Ed30 seats are far better than standard S3 seats.

Then you have the price of the thing initially, it's cheaper, but in reality, for no great reason other than VW sits lower in the VAG group in prestige terms.

In my eyes purely the badge makes it expensive. as most parts are shared with the Golf MK5 GTI and 4wd R32.

you could say a hybrid of them both make the S3.

I like the S3, and it gets the nod from most, stands out too.

However I'd love to leave it in the car park and not worry about it going walkies or something being broken.

With the Golf, common as muck, just another Golf in the car park to most, it's highly understated, and yes the S3 is too but not quite so.

If I were to choose again, I'll take the Golf, cheaper, lighter, often quicker in a straightline (not from standing start obviously) and with the Anti lift kit it's a dream to drive.

Nothing like 'bigging up' a VW on and audi forum but it deserves far more credit than most give it.

Find an Ed30, a 2+ one!

S3 is a little 'safe'
    S3Alex and OVRA3 like this.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

S3 (8P)

Status
    I went from a Golf 5 Gti (200ps) to an S3.
    Its not a massive leap but for me it did still feel like a leap.

The Golf is a superb car but I prefer the way the S3 looks and also the cabin.
    The Golf is probably more lively but the outright all weather grip of the S3 is a major trump card for me.

Funnily enough when I bought my first S3 nearly new (57 Plate) it was very similar in price to the ED30 at the time so the choice back then was an easy one.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Reverse Gear

Status
    right to end things now i will be getting an S3 i feel its little more grown up a car has 4wd system to help keep in check in the rain and such even if i do i got a 90,000 millage there will be a full service happening to it straight and i mean full everything getting done including the haldex system serviced.

i do ed30 but as i said the s3 looks more grown up and i have a wide range of racey little cars including a turbo mk3 fiesta was meant to be a 1l but ended up with the fiesta rs lump.

so has anyone got anything that is a must check for them when looking at the S3

5th Gear

Status
    Similar cars ive driven both as standard the s3 feel stronger and much better put together and felt much faster, S3 is the one mate
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

When I grow up, I want a 964!

Status

My Social Networking

Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    Birds like it more if you say you drive an Audi rather than a Golf
    voorhees, OVRA3 and JJ.Foulds like this.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

5th Gear

Status
    And arnt the golfs a little bit taller then the 8P's? wouldnt that mean the centre of gravity on the S3 would be slightly lower to the ground for better handling? :P

1st Gear

Status
    You could kill this debate in one fell swoop...

One is a an Audi and one is a Volkswagen, you'd be mad to take a VW over an Audi, enough said
    2009/2010 | Audi S3 Black Edition Ibis White | Black Optics Pack | Fully Loaded | S-Tronic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
    You could kill this debate in one fell swoop...

One is a an Audi and one is a Volkswagen, you'd be mad to take a VW over an Audi, enough said
    One ticket for the nuthouse please

1st Gear

Status
    same power but how it puts it down quattro all day long!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by OVRA3 View Post
    For £13k you could have a VERY nice ED30 and an OK S3 with higher miles.. Same internals no 4WD on the Golf but they handle well tough choice, I'd go with ED 30 for that kind of money if you can stretch a few more k's Id go S3
    Or have mine?? Going to sell in January, going to put it up at around £13000, low mileage, stage 2+ revo with Airtec intercooler. Sprint blue with black grills and alloys :D
    OVRA3 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast