Air Filter

• Thread starter imported_ANNANBHOY
  • Start date
I

imported_ANNANBHOY

thinking about getting an aftermarket air filter eg K&N, Pipercross,

Does anyone else have one and what would you recommend ?

Did it have any effect eg noise, fuel consumption, power ?

cheers in advance

Are you looking for a panel filter (direct replacement for stock) or an induction kit?

dunno im still undecided. probably an induction kit !

Panel you don't need to declare and it will make a small noise increase and little else, induction you do have to declare on the insurance and makes a whale of a noise and will give about 3bhp.

dont care about the insurance, be alright. so you think induction will be better ?

BWUUUUUUUUUUURP !
BWWWWUUUUUUUUUUUUURP ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bloke (fully grown man as well,not a teenager) across the road has an Impreza with an induction kit,exhaust and dump valve thingy.
He obviously drives it so that he makes as little noise as possible,which begs the question as to why he's fitted them all in the first place..

Bwwuuuuuurp...rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
FfffffffTSSSSSSSSSH !
Bwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurp...rrrr
Fffffffftssssssssssssh !

It's comical.

What engine do you have?

The only induction kit that is around at the moment (that I have found) is for the 2.0TDI and made by BMC. Its about £220 from http://www.passionmotorsport.co.uk/solenew.htm

You will need to e-mail them so they can give you their part numbers as its not set up on the site.

Go to http://www.bmcairfilters.com/ select Audi then A3 series II (near to the bottom of the list) scroll down and see the CDA this will show you the 3 part numbers you need to e-mail them.

I have fitted one before so if you need any more help let me know.

[ QUOTE ]
Bloke (fully grown man as well,not a teenager) across the road has an Impreza with an induction kit,exhaust and dump valve thingy.
He obviously drives it so that he makes as little noise as possible,which begs the question as to why he's fitted them all in the first place..

Bwwuuuuuurp...rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
FfffffffTSSSSSSSSSH !
Bwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurp...rrrr
Fffffffftssssssssssssh !It's comical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Bowfer I have a mature neighbour who has an Impreza too with go-faster noisy bits attached. I wonder if realises we are thinking 'utter tVVat' every time he drives past......mind you he built a wooden climbing frame in his garden for his adult buddies to play on.........

waste of time on a road car - car design and filters are a lot better than the 70's where k&n's etc were needed to get 10bhp out of a mini etc.
waste of money and time unless you need the noise?
rarely show any difference on a rolling road.... 3bhp at top end... might as well have a sh*te before getting in the car to reduce the weight!

I'm so glad when I don't have to add my twopennies worth about the 'value' of these systems.

I particularly liked the tVVat comment John!

But hey, if you want to spend your money on your car, it's a free country. Honest!

However I may have found a new entry for volume 2 of that excellent book:

IS IT JUST ME OR IS EVERYTHING SI-I 1T:?

Which is currently keeping me in stitches, it's a bit like Grumpy Old Men, but with extreme attitude! My wife thinks I wrote it, a high compliment indeed.

I'm reading this one at the moment as well, and would tottaly agree with the **** comments on dicks that drive around in loud cars, but real twats are the c*unts on bikes with cans that make the two wheel death on a stick sound like a f*cking screaming banshee....... (I live on a main road)

oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Is it just me or is everything $hit:...

i recieved 2 copies for christmas...

are people trying to tell us summat guys?

Jesus you lot sound like a right bunch of moaning b's.

I used to be a 'tw@t' and so did my other half, I couldn't give a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif what any one else thinks.

I have owned so many different cars and it is always the same on every forum, you always get a stereotypical view of other brand owners.

So I guess that now I own an Audi I'm a good guy

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'm reading this one at the moment as well, and would tottaly agree with the **** comments on dicks that drive around in loud cars, but real twats are the c*unts on bikes with cans that make the two wheel death on a stick sound like a f*cking screaming banshee....... (I live on a main road)

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking as a motorcyclist,I'll first of all say I agree with your sentiments towards loud cans on motorbikes,although I don't agree with the hyper-ignorant "two wheel death" comment.

I feel I should point out that loud cans on motorbikes very frequently lead to prosecutions by the police,yet loud exhausts on cars go completely unchecked.

I would also say the ratio of loud car to loud bike,these days,is vastly weighted towards cars.

Every other bleeding car,from Audi's down to ancient Rovers/Corsas has these intensely annoying wheelie bins whacked on the back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Mr Moaning B oops I mean MikeP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif how you getting on with the remapping for the DSG TDi?

Just to point out, I don't agree with sticking on loud exhausts just for the sake of it.

In actual fact there are some Subaru owners that I know that get off on that sort of thing, but the vast majority tend to be more interested in the performance increases than the ear ache factor.

With my Audi I love it the way it is, it looks great and as it is an oil burner the quieter the better.

[ QUOTE ]

Just to point out, I don't agree with sticking on loud exhausts just for the sake of it.

In actual fact there are some Subaru owners that I know that get off on that sort of thing, but the vast majority tend to be more interested in the performance increases than the ear ache factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously,what performance gains are you going to notice in a car, just by sticking an exhaust on ?

I'd venture very very little and any that do say they notice a difference are suffering from a 'placebo effect',wherein if you expect a difference,you will believe there is one.

From what I can see from every day life,most of these people are purely interested in the 'look at me' factor.

It really is about time the police started prosecuting loud car exhausts,as they are a growing social menace.

Unfortunately,it's evidently a lot more hassle for plod to get down on his knees and look for a BS kitemark on a car's silencer,so they prosecute the bikes,where the markings are easily read,instead.

Bowfer I'm afraid as you seem to not know much about Subaru's I'll take your comments with a pinch of salt.

A full system will give about about 30+ bhp take the down pipe off and replace it with a decat version and your looking at 50 bhp with a remap.

So there are considerable gains to be made by just sticking an exhaust on.

[ QUOTE ]

what performance gains are you going to notice in a car, just by sticking an exhaust on ?

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon bowfer, surely you can appreciate this depends on the car? I've read enough replies from you to know you do in fact. You would be suprised with the gains over some of the OEM ones out there.

the best gains are usually from turbo'd or supercharged cars, but they are usually one of the cheapest methods to release a few extra HP in NA cars. When tuning a NA car, another 5 HP for about 200 quid is really cheap in comparison to say, a 15hp port and polish which can easily run into the £700-£1000 mark.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

what performance gains are you going to notice in a car, just by sticking an exhaust on ?

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon bowfer, surely you can appreciate this depends on the car? I've read enough replies from you to know you do in fact. You would be suprised with the gains over some of the OEM ones out there.

the best gains are usually from turbo'd or supercharged cars, but they are usually one of the cheapest methods to release a few extra HP in NA cars. When tuning a NA car, another 5 HP for about 200 quid is really cheap in comparison to say, a 15hp port and polish which can easily run into the £700-£1000 mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine,there are big gains on Subaru's,although it still doesn't excuse the godawful racket the rest of society has to put up with.

However,the message above just points how utterly pointless it is on other cars.
A 5bhp gain ?
Who the hell is going to notice a 5bhp gain in something that weighs over 1000 kgs ?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Bowfer, 85% of my mates and colleagues with Bikes have fitted aftermarket exhausts so i do not agree that the ratio is more weighted towards cars, look at the sheer amount of un modded cars there are!!!!!

as you say, the power gains are more noticable on a bike, so there's probably more value in performing these mods

[ QUOTE ]

....it still doesn't excuse the godawful racket the rest of society has to put up with.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="black"> absolutely. They annoy me everytime they drive past my house </font>

[ QUOTE ]

However,the message above just points how utterly pointless it is on other cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="black"> Does it? i thought it illustrated how cost effective it was against other mods you can perform on NA cars. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
A 5bhp gain ?
Who the hell is going to notice a 5bhp gain in something that weighs over 1000 kgs ?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="black"> Point taken there. But on cars that weigh less than 1000kg's it can be a nice improvement. The whole idea of any worthwhile modification is that its improves performance, and provides a base for any further modification. Exhausts usually do this, and sometimes have the added bonus of a lifetime guarantee too - its just a shame that some people also decide to make their car sound like a chav charriot at the same time. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
Bowfer, 85% of my mates and colleagues with Bikes have fitted aftermarket exhausts so i do not agree that the ratio is more weighted towards cars, look at the sheer amount of un modded cars there are!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

In terms of numbers it is.
You stand by any road,anywhere in the UK and count the number of bikes with loud exhausts v cars with loud exhausts.

Which do you think you'll see/hear more of ?

Christ,come and sit in my living room any night.You'll hear noisy cars going past all night long.It could be weeks before you hear a bike.

So noisy cars ARE more of a social menace than noisy bikes.

no -you said that the ratio of modded cars to bikes was vastly swayed towards the cars, which i disagreed with, stick with the comments Bowfer..

as for which is a noisy menace, IMO both are, although bikes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif me off more as they are higher pitched, (As they rev much higher) and as you'll agree,m a bike doing 15k RPM in a town is pigging annoying (You'll probably not agree actually, hey ho)

[ QUOTE ]
no -you said that the ratio of modded cars to bikes was vastly swayed towards the cars, which i disagreed with, stick with the comments Bowfer..

as for which is a noisy menace, IMO both are, although bikes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif me off more as they are higher pitched, (As they rev much higher) and as you'll agree,m a bike doing 15k RPM in a town is pigging annoying (You'll probably not agree actually, hey ho)

[/ QUOTE ]

Semantics.
I was saying that noisy cars outnumber noisy bikes considerably and no-one could possibly disagree with that.

As for bikes doing 15k rpm in town,that's just typical of the ill-informed pish spoken by the anti-bike brigade.

Personally,I find the noise of a Subaru with a loud exhaust one of THE most annoying noises ever.

Believe me,if umpteen noisy bikes were to drive past 'Mr average's' house every night,he'd be up in arms and his complaint would be taken seriously,yet umpteen Subaru's/novas/rovers can drive past and nothing is said or done ?

A lot of it is prejudice/ignorance towards bikes (as per the 'death-trap' comments above),but it's still amazes me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You stand by any road,anywhere in the UK and count the number of bikes with loud exhausts v cars with loud exhausts.

Christ,come and sit in my living room any night.You'll hear noisy cars going past all night long.It could be weeks before you hear a bike.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Bowfer - where do you live, I'll borrow my mates 5.5L TVR griff with no cats and drive past every few hours for a weekend? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Bowfer - once again, another flippant remark, with no foundation whatsoever....

ill informed pish? Just sold my Blade, toying with getting an old 996, but I MUST be against bikes eh, sheeesh

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Bowfer - where do you live, I'll borrow my mates 5.5L TVR griff with no cats and drive past every few hours for a weekend? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh,look at the big man.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I'd actually quite like you to do that,as I quite enjoy a game of 'gravel darts'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Now chaps, you are just letting good 'ol Bowfer wind you up.....

1 nil to Bowfer by my count.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh,look at the big man.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I'd actually quite like you to do that,as I quite enjoy a game of 'gravel darts'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

are you calling me Fat??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sorry was just reading this post and it made me smile... thought it needed some more humor as everyone seems to be getting a little over excited... ah well misunderstood again... story of my life! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bowfer you don't live down at the beach do you, it is the only place I can think of that you are likely to hear noisy exhausts all the time.

naaah - he lives near a place he can throw gravel at cars and damage others peoples goods in public car parks, while saying there's no point in getting married unless you are going to have kids and the world hates motorbikes....

fair points of view I guess!!

w00t, w00t, its bowfer baiting time again! Real him in, real him in.

They are death on a stick, everyone I know that has had one/has one (including my brother) have been knocked off more than once, took great pleasure in trying to do 150Mph + , told great storys of getting the toe pegs down and grinding them on corners

I agree with you on that cars are more common and the Scooby brigade are in my opinion *unts. But when a bike does go past, boy do you know about it.

LOL!! much better tack that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Bowfer you don't live down at the beach do you, it is the only place I can think of that you are likely to hear noisy exhausts all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I don't,but that's exactly my point.
Noisy cars are everywhere these days.

Why the hell anyone would want to advertise their impending presence is beyond me.

For example,there was an article in the local paper that summed it up.
A guy in some chavved up Jap car got caught doing over 100mph on the Huntly road.

The article went on to state that the police were packing up to leave but HEARD HIM COMING AND HAD TIME TO SET UP AGAIN !

If he'd had a legal exhaust,he wouldn't be banned now.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]

A guy in some chavved up Jap car got caught doing over 100mph on the Huntly road.

The article went on to state that the police were packing up to leave but HEARD HIM COMING AND HAD TIME TO SET UP AGAIN !

[/ QUOTE ]

oh now thats a peach! i would have paid good money to watch the coppers scramble back out to see that....