S3. Sportback vs 3 door

R90 STL

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my car to an s3. I love all the styling that I have on my car but I feel it lacks in power sometimes. During my searches iv become quite fond of the Sportback whereas I had never really given it much attention before in the a3 models. I am curious. What is everyone's thoughts on the Sportback? There are a lot of things I have taken into consideration between that and my current car and I think it might be the way to go..

If you have more than 1 passenger ever in the car, get a sportback lol. 2 doors is a pain. xD

JJ

Reactions: DeeGee68, Artimus and MrLapou
Sportback in my opinion looks like an estate! Horrid

Reactions: Paradox1 and TDI_TIM
Older 8p2 a3 sportbacks looked like estates, the s3 sportbacks not so much!
Adds practicality of passengers and maybe cheaper than it's 3dr counterpart, well that was the case for a3's anyway!

Sportback deffo :)
A lot better looking than the 3 door ;)

Reactions: jphc, pwilliamson1991 and OVRA3
sport s3 look good mate better practicality me thinks and as in performance doesn't weigh much more then its 3 door counterpart

I have a 3 door at the moment and think it looks great but it would be quite refreshing to have a bit of change plus the led tail lights are very smart! Might just be me but with the 5 door you are getting more car for your money? Plus most s3s I see are 3 door

I've just got a sport back black edition and after never owning a 5 door I'm finding it a revelation. They are certainly more expensive than the 3 doors but I think that's mostly because they are rarer. I know everyone has a different opinion but I think It looks better proportioned as a 5 door.

even if it is quicker its got to be a matter of milliseconds which is hardly worth mentioning. Both look amazing and I like the idea of there being less 5 doors on the road. They made the RS3 as a sportback for a reason!

Ive had both.
Looks are subjective and although I used to prefer the 3 door I think the 5 door has aged a little better.

After the 3 dr S3 I was in a 3 series for a while and quickly got used to the ease of 5 door access, so went for a 5 door S3 second time around.
Obviously much easier to live with if you use the rear seats.

I might have a lurverly 12 Plate Ibis white Black Edition with Pan roof etc.. coming up for sale soon...:happy:

Ive had both.
Looks are subjective and although I used to prefer the 3 door I think the 5 door has aged a little better.

After the 3 dr S3 I was in a 3 series for a while and quickly got used to the ease of 5 door access, so went for a 5 door S3 second time around.
Obviously much easier to live with if you use the rear seats.

I might have a lurverly 12 Plate Ibis white Black Edition with Pan roof etc.. coming up for sale soon...:happy:

yeah I would almost never use the extra doors to be honest. I don't have any children or friends for that matter :p maybe I will have more when I get an s3. Or maybe even less! Black edition is what I am after. Not huge on chrome! You best let me know when you are thinking of selling up!

Older 8p2 a3 sportbacks looked like estates, the s3 sportbacks not so much!
Adds practicality of passengers and maybe cheaper than it's 3dr counterpart, well that was the case for a3's anyway!
its the same body with different bumpers and spoiler how does the 8p2 look more like an estate ?

Get sportback when have women ever said the shorter the better ?

its the same body with different bumpers and spoiler how does the 8p2 look more like an estate ?

Get sportback when have women ever said the shorter the better ?

Bumpers make a huge difference! Look at a M3, look how mean that looks in comparison to say a 320i.

All I know is my old A3 looked like an estate, probably because it was an SE 😂 ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380118759978605

ImageParked side by side both s line one obviously newer than the other

ImageDont think it looks like an estate and not that much longer than a 3dr but clearly better car lol

Reactions: sliced
I bought a 3 door S3 and within a month realised I wanted a 5 door. Went back to Audi thinking they would exchange with maybe a grand or so their way. They wanted nearly 7! Lost the VAT! God damn! Still search aurotrader for a 5 door with rails every now and then but can't see me changing soon. I have people in the back if my car most weekends so a 5 door would be real handy!!

I just seen a stunning ibis white Sportback a3 on the way home with black roof bars! Then a black 3 door afterwards. 5 door looks more impressive IMO. Sportback it is!!!

I just seen a stunning ibis white Sportback a3 on the way home with black roof bars! Then a black 3 door afterwards. 5 door looks more impressive IMO. Sportback it is!!!

Rails are Ok, Pan roof is where its at...:happy:

Reactions: R90 STL, Sevv and sliced
I bought a 3 door S3 and within a month realised I wanted a 5 door. Went back to Audi thinking they would exchange with maybe a grand or so their way. They wanted nearly 7! Lost the VAT! God damn! Still search aurotrader for a 5 door with rails every now and then but can't see me changing soon. I have people in the back if my car most weekends so a 5 door would be real handy!!

Give me a shout before you speak to a dealer, mine might end up on Benfield Silverlink`s pitch so might as well cut their margin out...

Dont get me wrong S3 sportbacks are impressive in their own way... But as far as looks go, then 3dr S3's win that battle hands down!

its that back window that makes the car look like an estate... Think it doesnt look like 1... Compare it to a picture of an estate and tell me the difference! Maybe thats why they've brought out the new A3 saloon, to give a 5dr option that doesnt look like an estate...

if someone offered me a sportback, i'd take it in a heartbeat, but the choice of buying 1 (Without needing the function of the extra doors) then 3dr for me everytime!

but if I had the money, defo a RS3.. Work that 1 out if you will! ;) haha

Last edited:
I'm not just saying this because I own one but I think the sportback looks much better, more in proportion. The 3dr looks stubby in my humble opinion...

Test drove the new 8V SB last night and the dealer had an A3 saloon in the showroom. Lovely it was.

Myself and everyone in my family find my 3dr more comfy than my parents sportback

possibly due to the extra wheelbase length it bucks around a bit more giving motion sickness.

Wheel base is the same.
Overall length is 2.5" extra.

Never noticed any difference between my 3 dr and 5dr in ride quality and chassis response??

Give me a shout before you speak to a dealer, mine might end up on Benfield Silverlink`s pitch so might as well cut their margin out...

What you planning on moving on to? I'm toying with the idea of some kinda 5 door and then a cheeky little Mini GP (2006) to play with.

What you planning on moving on to? I'm toying with the idea of some kinda 5 door and then a cheeky little Mini GP (2006) to play with.

Depends who can do another PCP deal with sensible payments mate.

The BMW M135i is a cracker and good deals to be had, waiting on figures coming back on a new S3 though, which is also a belter.
Maybe even one of those 3 series XDrive 335d things.

i have been a looking for a sportback and trust me its hard finding the right one. PaulAr out of interest whats you gonna want for yours and how soon you looking to chop

at the end of the day it is all down to personal preference. I think I will look for a sportback model because other than a few subtle aesthetic differences between my black edition a3 and an s3 there isn't much in it. The sportback would feel and look like a new car to me

i have been a looking for a sportback and trust me its hard finding the right one. PaulAr out of interest whats you gonna want for yours and how soon you looking to chop

Depends ,still talking to dealers regarding delivery times. Some stuff is stock, some stuff is on 6months!
Price will be very keen, somewhere between trade and private, and its a rare car in this spec/condition/mileage.

Will drop you a PM once I have better visibility on timescale.

cheers