Possibly buying an S3

Briand88

Reaction score
Hello Everyone :) first post be gentle lol

Im looking at potentially buying an S3 there is just a few things that are making me hold back. i would like to clear up first, I have previously owned a facelift focus ST and had it mapped and modded and after 3 years of ownership putting 70.00+ a week in fuel in the thing just started to really get on my nerves and paying 330.00 per month for it. I admit i did drive it in boost a fair bit but why not its what the car was built for. My average mpg was 17.8 when i traded that in. I then made a somewhat silly/impulsive buy decision, i traded it in for a 2.0 CDTI Insignia SRI Nav. And at the ripe old age of 25 and 16 months later felt that this was just to i dunno drab/OAP/reps car for me. So what i was after was something with a little power when needed, turns heads can also be driven nice and calmly and return decent mpg when doing so.

So when i was browsing the forecourt i came across the S3 in Black it was a car that never even crossed my mind to buy. But i really liked the look of it and speaking to the salesman, he said ill show you the current average mpg it was. 15.1 now i know this is NOT from it being driven normally it has either been reset and then just diddled about the forecourt OR on small short journeys after being reset or the person that brought it up from down south was hammering it all the way up .

The salesman's boss the owner off the company then went onto tell me that he had and S3 and was doing city driving and some country driving to a destination about 30 minutes from where we were and told me he was getting 37 MPG. The salesman then told me he could show me the goverment figures for that car and it was 23 About town/short journeys (door to door as he said) and 40 combined doing both.

The salesmen then took me into the sales room to start talking figures the car was 15,595 he was after 280 odd a MONTH which is not bad in one way its a cracking looking little car the pictures do it no justice at all, its a good spec has sat nav, full leather etc, BUT when you look at it in the other hand this car is almost 6 years old and i admit the mileage is not to high at 48k BUT isnt this alot of money to be parting with on a car at almost 6 years old? What is a realistic figure of MPG with sort of normaly driving and the occasional bit of fun? Are there any common problems with Audi S3? And how do they hold their value so well? are there any tell tale signs under the bonnet to suggest that the car has been modded? and lastly would YOU pay this for an S3 and WHY? what makes it so good that at alost 6 years old its still worth 15.5k?.

Here is a link: Used Audi S3 Hatchback S3 Quattro 3dr in Edinburgh, Midlothian | Deutschmarque Ltd

Thanks for reading.

Brian

S3's seem to hold their value good style, ive just paid alot lot more for a 2009 S-tronic from an Audi dealer with 27k miles, but in fairness theres no option this one hasnt got. From my research, they hold the value very well, even better with more spec!

I bought my 2009 facelift S3 for £16000 back in February and mine is quite well specced although way above average miles at 68k. I have averaged 29.3 which is general commuting to and from work with the occasional blast every now and then. Motorway I can quite easily manage 450 miles to a tank.
I averaged 39.2mpg over 180 miles to Cumbria recently so it isn't bad on fuel.

The S3 is a brilliant all round car and that one you have linked too looks like a good example. The price may be a little high I'd expect more like 14k from a dealer for that age.

Last edited by a moderator:
From where i was looking about 15k from a non franchise dealer for an S3 with 50k ish miles with an OK spec. Good to hear the mpg is nice and high :) Bear in mind and i was told this by an audi dealer, that as we are coming into winter, quattro cars are in higher demand... especially in scotland i would imagine!!

Price is a tad high.. I bought my 56 plate black S3 with every factory option bar recaros and a sunroof and at 52k, private for £13,200. Paintwork was immaculate, completely standard car, FSH @ audi cardiff and 2 months since I bought it I've had no problems. Haggle with him and show him some examples of more reasonably priced examples or better yet go and see more cars, I looked at 3 before i bought this one.

They are great all round cars, deliver decent MPG considering the performance on tap and the cabins are very nice places to be, best in class IMO. Running costs would be higher than the focus ST in terms of parts. So its worth finding a well looked after one.

So is this spec not very good? what would be a better spec than that? recaros and what else? aslo I am in no rush at all to jump into a sale. I have plenty of time my current OAP car still has a few years left on finance so. i can take my time it seems to be really hard to come across an S3 here in Edinburgh i have checked my local Audi dealer and they seem the charge WAYYY over the top even for just normal A3'S im sure they had one s3 at 25k which is way over my budget. Dont get me wrong if i wanted to pay that i would but i dont. right now on piston heads theres 5 audi S3'S 08-09 only 1 facelift and its a five door, Its more the MPG side of things that i am worried about i just dont want to make an expsensive mistake. like the ST was. is the exact diff between that model and facelift the headlights with DRL's? also ar ethere any common issures with the S3?

Last edited:
Hi mate,

I live in Glasgow, got a s3 and do a lot of door to door driving, got a company vehicle so dont do a lot of communting... On average I get around 24mpg excluding motorway journeys, usually around 30-34mpg on motorways visiting my sister in Kilsyth.

If you want to know why Audis are so expensive and hold their value so well, take it for a test drive and you'll instantly be able to tell the difference... The cars are very highly engineered, rock solid and generally bullet proof! Buying an S3 from a audi dealership would be a no go for me... they add at least £2500 onto a car you would get the same privately because it comes approved and has went through audi 150 point check stuff. But if you buy 1 privately that has a complete dealer service history then your getting pretty much the same thing... An example of how bulletproof these cars are comes in the service book.. e.g according to audi, the timing belt on these cars dont need to be changed until 115k miles although i'd never let mine get that far... The power delivery through the 4-wheel drive is something else... I've drove focus st's and my mates vxrs and theres nothing quite like an audi for quality.. You only need to start taking 1 apart compared to a ford to see how well engineered they are...

Buying 1 on the private market.. A decent 06-08 plate 1 standard will cost you anywhere between 12k - 13.5k the facelift 58 plate model seems to demand a higher price, starting around the 14.5k mark... depends what model you prefer but personally I prefer the pre-facelift... but thats just me.... You get all different factory spec'd options on the pre-facelift whereas the facelift model comes with a lot of this kit as standard, but that also has options (Bose sound system)... i.e the flat bottomed steering wheel... this was not a standard feature on pre-facelift cars, but 58 plate onwards this is standard.. there are some basic s3's out there... so just do a wee bit more homework before you buy... but my own recommendation is theres not a lot out there much better

Last edited:
So is this spec not very good? what would be a better spec than that? recaros and what else? aslo I am in no rush at all to jump into a sale. I have plenty of time my current OAP car still has a few years left on finance so. i can take my time it seems to be really hard to come across an S3 here in Edinburgh i have checked my local Audi dealer and they seem the charge WAYYY over the top even for just normal A3'S im sure they had one s3 at 25k which is way over my budget. Dont get me wrong if i wanted to pay that i would but i dont. right now on piston heads theres 5 audi S3'S 08-09 only 1 facelift and its a five door, Its more the MPG side of things that i am worried about i just dont want to make an expsensive mistake. like the ST was. is the exact diff between that model and facelift the headlights with DRL's? also ar ethere any common issures with the S3?
if your worried about MPG you might aswell get a A3 2.0 Tdi with all the trimmings to be honest. These arent the sort of cars you buy & then worry about fuelling, if you can afford to buy it, you can afford to fuel it! Just my two pennys worth!

With regards to buying from a dealership, im the opposite, buying private would be a no go for me, except from someone i knew and trusted, theres nothing im more worried about than parting with the best part of 15k to find the car might not be as described or as you expected. At least with a dealer & a franchied one at that you have fallbacks on every angle! Yes you will pay more, but when the majority of expensive cars these loaned/PCP'd or bought on finance, an extra £40 a month more for an approved one is always gonna be a goer in my eyes!!!

Hi mate,

I live in Glasgow, got a s3 and do a lot of door to door driving, got a company vehicle so dont do a lot of communting... On average I get around 24mpg excluding motorway journeys, usually around 30-34mpg on motorways visiting my sister in Kilsyth.

If you want to know why Audis are so expensive and hold their value so well, take it for a test drive and you'll instantly be able to tell the difference... The cars are very highly engineered, rock solid and generally bullet proof! Buying an S3 from a audi dealership would be a no go for me... they add at least £2500 onto a car you would get the same privately because it comes approved and has went through audi 150 point check stuff. But if you buy 1 privately that has a complete dealer service history then your getting pretty much the same thing... An example of how bulletproof these cars are comes in the service book.. e.g according to audi, the timing belt on these cars dont need to be changed until 115k miles although i'd never let mine get that far... The power delivery through the 4-wheel drive is something else... I've drove focus st's and my mates vxrs and theres nothing quite like an audi for quality.. You only need to start taking 1 apart compared to a ford to see how well engineered they are...

Buying 1 on the private market.. A decent 06-08 plate 1 standard will cost you anywhere between 12k - 13.5k the facelift 58 plate model seems to demand a higher price, starting around the 14.5k mark... depends what model you prefer but personally I prefer the pre-facelift... but thats just me.... You get all different factory spec'd options on the pre-facelift whereas the facelift model comes with a lot of this kit as standard, but that also has options (Bose sound system)... i.e the flat bottomed steering wheel... this was not a standard feature on pre-facelift cars, but 58 plate onwards this is standard.. there are some basic s3's out there... so just do a wee bit more homework before you buy... but my own recommendation is theres not a lot out there much better

whats your sort of driving style jacko just normal driving/cruising or do you put the foot down occasionally? i mean one good thing about Edinburgh is its quite an open city, i do not travel in rush hour or anything like that as i do not use the car to commute. and when i do drive the roads empty quite well in Edinburgh after rush hours anyway so its not like you stop - start, stop - start all the time.

if your worried about MPG you might aswell get a A3 2.0 Tdi with all the trimmings to be honest. These arent the sort of cars you buy & then worry about fuelling, if you can afford to buy it, you can afford to fuel it! Just my two pennys worth!

With regards to buying from a dealership, im the opposite, buying private would be a no go for me, except from someone i knew and trusted, theres nothing im more worried about than parting with the best part of 15k to find the car might not be as described or as you expected. At least with a dealer & a franchied one at that you have fallbacks on every angle! Yes you will pay more, but when the majority of expensive cars these loaned/PCP'd or bought on finance, an extra £40 a month more for an approved one is always gonna be a goer in my eyes!!!

Yeh dave i know what you are saying BUT is seeing 27mpg really hard to get in these cars just normal driving city/some dual carriageway. my diesel just now im seeing 38 cause i mostly do city driving but good thing about my case is, i dont commute to and from work i have a van so would really only be using the car at weekends and in evenings.

what would you guys say you put in the S3 fuel wise weekly?

Last edited:
I agree with Dave for that price u could get a 2.0 tdi 170 10 plate or newer.
Plenty torque to keep u happy with a much better mpg. :)

They do seem to hold their value pretty well, I haggled my S3 last year down from 22K to 20K and looking at the S-Tronics on AutoTrader at the moment mine is still worth £18,995. I've been looking at a TTRS but there is no way i'm going to part with my S3 for less than 18K. Lovely motors though, took me 6 months to find the one I wanted

So am I being foolishly unrealistic looking to get 26-27mpg with city driving :(

Paid similar to what yours is worth for an S-tronic with wingbacks, sat nav, black styling pack, cruise control, bose sound system and pretty much every other option audi spec. Was from a dealer so 12 months warrenty, full service, new tyres, GAP insurance, tax, fuel and fitted mats.

So am I being foolishly unrealistic looking to get 26-27mpg with city driving :(

Youd be lucky to get that out of a little 1.2/1.4 i would think only driving around town. If your worrying about MPG, an S3 probably isnt the car for you....

I'm not exactly making myself clear about my driving situation apologies, I do not commute to and from work I have a van, also I do not drive the car every day the occasional night to and from football I do most off my driving at weekends to restraunts shopping where ever/whatever I'm upto, like I said about Edinburgh it's quite an open city it isnt rammed car too car you can drive quite openly here outside of the rush hours which I do not drive in anyway, and thinking about that yeh my girlfriends 1.5 swift only gets about 30 mpg about town she's a care worker so she is door to door type of drive. What are your weekly fuel costs?

I'm not exactly making myself clear about my driving situation apologies, I do not commute to and from work I have a van, also I do not drive the car every day the occasional night to and from football I do most off my driving at weekends to restraunts shopping where ever/whatever I'm upto, like I said about Edinburgh it's quite an open city it isnt rammed car too car you can drive quite openly here outside of the rush hours which I do not drive in anyway, and thinking about that yeh my girlfriends 1.5 swift only gets about 30 mpg about town she's a care worker so she is door to door type of drive. What are your weekly fuel costs?

I only drive mine weekends and too and from football twice a week in the evenings. So if you drive it normally then 27mpg is achievable through town, but let's be honest, you won't be driving it normally. Mines a revo stage 2+ and I can see 31mpg into town. If I drive like I want to drive, like you'll end up driving it you'll see 25mpg ish. Mines a weekend car, like it sounds like what your doing. I'll be selling mine in the new year though, going to buy a new motorbike for my weekends now though.

Don't get me wrong though, if you plant your right foot a lot. You'll be looking about high teens, if lucky, very low 20's.

I will admit I was kinda bad for doing that in the ST but I don't drive like that anymore since I got the insignia I've started driving less harshly, which I. Can only seems a good thing I would be driving the s3 more normally than I did the ST that's if I buying and can contain myself lol, I'm basically after that's something that can return sensible-ish mpg when driven normally but had the power on tap which why I was looking at the s3 I mean even normally driving on the st 30mpg would occasionally pop up but I would say 90% of the time it was about 23-26 on instantaneous mpg reading just normal driving what would be perfect IF there was an owner on here that has and s3 or had an s3 and has had or at least used a focus st and compare the two.

the ST was so bad on fuel it would only do about 180 miles on a full tank from Edinburgh to Glasgow and back all round about 100 miles I would use half a tank or just over cruising about 70mph in 6th gear

whats your sort of driving style jacko just normal driving/cruising or do you put the foot down occasionally? i mean one good thing about Edinburgh is its quite an open city, i do not travel in rush hour or anything like that as i do not use the car to commute. and when i do drive the roads empty quite well in Edinburgh after rush hours anyway so its not like you stop - start, stop - start all the time.

Pretty normal mate with the occasional heavy right foot.... I'm the same as yourself, got a van for work so thats my wkend and evening car.. I fill the tank, normally bout £70-£80 quid and usually see a return of 300 miles or just over per tank..

I had a look at the link of that car and I wouldnt pay that money for that! I was looking at a 58 plate car 50 something k miles for 15k but thought that would be a bit extreme for a car that spends most of its life in a driveway... In saying that though, I paid 13k for mine and another 1.5k on mods since I got it, so i'm kinda doing the same thing lol...

As Dave said, theres some right decent tdi's out there if your worried about the fuel... But its just not a s3

Saying that though i wouldnt buy a 2.0 Tdi for round town cos all the new ones are DPF which will become a nightmare unless you can blast it every week on a motorway, plus round town you'll struggle for 30mpg. As i keep saying, if your worrying bout MPG then performance hatches probably arent for you?

The only thing that's really going on in the back of my head is buying a car and it's as bad as the st on fuel that's the only thing nagging in my head really :/ I was also looking at BMW 320 m sport coupe in white stunning car on the outside but that just looks so naff inside :/.

I doubt it would be that bad but it depends how you drive, the ST is known for being bad on fuel, every hot hatch enthusiast and follower knows it, it uses an old 2.5 Turbo 5 pot engine that was never designed to be economical, whereas newer audis do go some way to being better for the environment than others, but also remeber that the S3 is quattro, so its 4WD all the time...

If you look on the Honest John real MPG the average is something like 27.5mpg which is 80% of the claimed figures from Audi. The S-tronic ones are supposidly better on fuel but it depends if you want to spend that much... If you havent driven one do that first, you'l soon forget all about economy and just want to know what date you can pick it up!!

Hope that helps.

As
I doubt it would be that bad but it depends how you drive, the ST is known for being bad on fuel, every hot hatch enthusiast and follower knows it, it uses an old 2.5 Turbo 5 pot engine that was never designed to be economical, whereas newer audis do go some way to being better for the environment than others, but also remeber that the S3 is quattro, so its 4WD all the time...

If you look on the Honest John real MPG the average is something like 27.5mpg which is 80% of the claimed figures from Audi. The S-tronic ones are supposidly better on fuel but it depends if you want to spend that much... If you havent driven one do that first, you'l soon forget all about economy and just want to know what date you can pick it up!!

Hope that helps.

Dave you hit the nail on the head man this is exactly what I was after! So that 27.5 is that mixed driving a bit of motorway some
dual carriage way and some town/city? I'm guessing what that stat, which living in the side of Edinburgh I do there's motorways bypass and dual carriage ways and quiet areas all around me so it will be using the car on all these types of roads and like I said Edinburgh is a quiet city outside of rush hour i mean you could easily hit a stretch of road 1/2 mile 3/4 mile long without encountering more than 2 other cars on the road, I'm going to test drive that black one on Friday I mean the only other thing my mrs pointed is your paying in the region of 14-16k for a car that's 6 years old I mean put it like that it's almost like a what am I thinking. But then I was in it yesterday and even sitting in it it felt awesome test driving it this Thursday.

Last edited:
I don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but if you're going to spend that much coin, have you considered paying a grand more & looking for a 58+ plate facelift model? You'll find it's not just the headlights that are updated & you won't later kick yourself for not realising that with a private plate it'll pass as a 2012 model. ;)

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but if you're going to spend that much coin, have you considered paying a grand more & looking for a 58+ plate facelift model? You'll find it's not just the headlights that are updated & you won't later kick yourself for not realising that with a private plate it'll pass as a 2012 model. ;)

Haha no spanner in the works at all mate like I said I'm in no rush to but any vehicle I wanna gather as much I do as I can and thus far everyone of you guys has done just that for me, reminds me of people on the STOC forum just willing to help a member out and 1k more isn't much but I didn't want to go more than 285-290 a month but I guess if I wait a few months I'll get a facelift possibly :) the one I have linked to what's that like spec wise mid range closer to high what one thing I did realise last night as there was no slot for the CD player in the glove box or in the boot :/ and no slot on the dash

Haha no spanner in the works at all mate like I said I'm in no rush to but any vehicle I wanna gather as much I do as I can and thus far everyone of you guys has done just that for me, reminds me of people on the STOC forum just willing to help a member out and 1k more isn't much but I didn't want to go more than 285-290 a month but I guess if I wait a few months I'll get a facelift possibly :) the one I have linked to what's that like spec wise mid range closer to high what one thing I did realise last night as there was no slot for the CD player in the glove box or in the boot :/ and no slot on the dash

The spec of the car you have linked is the same spec as mine except mines is in sprint blue, same interior....

Theres a 6 cd changer in the glove box and theres also 2x sd card slots in behind the screen...

careful if you get the car and your buying sd cards.... It only accepts sd cards up to 4gig each... Sdhc cards wont read... 8gb of music is plenty enough for a fair few mp3 albums though!

There is no cd changer in the glove box :s or in the boot I checked both I asked the sales guy he want in the glove box opened it there wasn't one only an iPod cable and a USB port also an auxiliary jack under the hand break I thought maybe the cd slot was behind the screen but didn't know how to pop it out / flip it round

I'm curious as to what exactly the differences are between the 08 and the 58 plate apart from the obvious... I was looking at a 58 phantom black s3 before I settled on the 08 sprint blue... Only differences I seen were

bigger mirrors
different light switch and electric window switch
different style alloys
and the obvious headlights

what else? I'm just curious?

I'm curious as to what exactly the differences are between the 08 and the 58 plate apart from the obvious... I was looking at a 58 phantom black s3 before I settled on the 08 sprint blue... Only differences I seen were

bigger mirrors
different light switch and electric window switch
different style alloys
and the obvious headlights

what else? I'm just curious?

haldex controller/rear & front bumper/ECU software revision/etc

There is no cd changer in the glove box :s or in the boot I checked both I asked the sales guy he want in the glove box opened it there wasn't one only an iPod cable and a USB port also an auxiliary jack under the hand break I thought maybe the cd slot was behind the screen but didn't know how to pop it out / flip it round

so I'm guessing it's been taken out or could it be behind the screen?

As

Dave you hit the nail on the head man this is exactly what I was after! So that 27.5 is that mixed driving a bit of motorway some
dual carriage way and some town/city? I'm guessing what that stat, which living in the side of Edinburgh I do there's motorways bypass and dual carriage ways and quiet areas all around me so it will be using the car on all these types of roads and like I said Edinburgh is a quiet city outside of rush hour i mean you could easily hit a stretch of road 1/2 mile 3/4 mile long without encountering more than 2 other cars on the road, I'm going to test drive that black one on Friday I mean the only other thing my mrs pointed is your paying in the region of 14-16k for a car that's 6 years old I mean put it like that it's almost like a what am I thinking. But then I was in it yesterday and even sitting in it it felt awesome test driving it this Thursday.

At the end of the day, its a car that holds its value very well, same with all audis and thats about the end of it, people can preach to you all day long about it being 5/6 years old and costing 65%/70% of its original value, thats surely a good thing though right?

If you can afford the initial outlay then its going to still be worth good money in another 3 years time. For the money I've just paid for my S3 i could have easily gone and bought the new shape Focus ST with only a few thousand miles on it, but i don't want one of them because its a ford, they are not aswell refined and slower than the S3 and within 3 years it will be worth about half of its value, whereas this in 3 years i would imagine is probably going to be worth much more than half of what ive paid, judging by todays prices (which will only get stronger as the price of new cars goes up) Theres not many cars on the market i've come across that if they are looked after reasonably well you can get inside after 5 years and think christ it still looks like a new car...!

so I'm guessing it's been taken out or could it be behind the screen?

I've no idea bout that 1 then mate? My cd changer is in the glove box... if your back at the car, press the square with the up arrow to flip the screen... the dvd rom for updating the sat-nav and sd card slots are behind mine

I will have another look when i go to test drive the car on Thursday. Still very confused about the average mpg obviously depends on driving style some people saying from high teens obv ragging it to 29 driving like an OAP, lol what does this thing achieve with NORMAL daily driving.

If you read the reviews on the s3, on autotrader and professional reviews they all say the fuel cost is the only con with the S3.

You either buy it and never look at what mpg it is doing or how much it's costing in fuel and enjoy it or don't buy it at all if spending 80 quid a week in fuel is not for you.

Being honest, doing 38 mpg in your diesel, you'll be extremely hard pushed to see over 25mpg let alone late 20's/early 30's in he S3.

Its a a performance car, with 265hp on tap and the extra weight of having 4 driving wheels, the minute you accept that is the minute you accept it's never going to be as economical as you want it to be.

I will have another look when i go to test drive the car on Thursday. Still very confused about the average mpg obviously depends on driving style some people saying from high teens obv ragging it to 29 driving like an OAP, lol what does this thing achieve with NORMAL daily driving.
Make a point of resetting the dis so you can see for yourself the economy on the test drive Brian.

Its well worth the money in my opinion. Mine is an absolute weapon and its standard at the moment, cant wait to start tuning it. Mine is a weekend car as I have a company vehicle as well. I don't take it out that often but I probably spend 50 - 60 quid a week in fuel because when I take it for a drive its usually for a while.

see when i had the ST i used to go on big long jaunts away oput the the country side sometimes me n the mrs would leave at 12 mid day and not come big till 6pm and have a massive good drive i love it, it was awesome I understand what you guys are saying and i dont expect the S3 to be awesome on fuel like the insignia BUT i FOR SURE DO NOT want it to be in par with the ST getting 180 miles to FULL tank of petrol -.- dont get me wrong i will most of the time be driving it normally but like us ALL im sure i will put the foot down on the odd occasion i read a review and he summed up the S3 as a great all round drivers car and it can be calm and collected for everday driving but the power is there when needed which is exactly what im after i mean 80% of the time i will be driving the car liek your EVERDAY driver does changing gears maybe 3k rpm or there abouts i mean is it unreasonable to get say 25mpg driving normally? or am i still dreaming lol, i dont mean to keep going on about MPG but i just dont wanna get one IF i like it and end up putting as much into the S3 fuiel wise as i did the ST

This will probably help answer most of your MPG questions: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...93257-s3-fuel-consumption-now-added-poll.html :thumbsup:

I know how you feel, in a few months time i can finally get affordable insurance quotes for an s3 (the S3 has been a dream of mine since i started driving) and the ONE thing that puts me off is the fuel consumption. Especially as i use it in town ALL the time, commuting to work in stop start traffic, and well.. i will be 21 and i'll use it like a 21 year old would.

Might just be a case of suck it up and see, the worst thing that'll happen is youll loose a slight amount of money on resale if it costs too much. S3's will always sell mate!

As I said mate, with general all round driving your looking about 300 miles or there abouts to a full tank