need help, coolant leak. audi 1.6 fsi

kaliber

kaliber
Reaction score
hi guys,
in the last week my coolant level warning came on, didn't think much of and refilled it. its now happened again and I've noticed a small puddle of coolant coming from the exhaust.

does this definitely mean I have a cracked head, or could there be any other minor repair that is at fault.
its a 2005 a3 1.6 fsi sport btw.

this is my worst nightmare. :(((( absolutely gutted
thanks in advance

hi guys,
in the last week my coolant level warning came on, didn't think much of and refilled it. its now happened again and I've noticed a small puddle of coolant coming from the exhaust.

does this definitely mean I have a cracked head, or could there be any other minor repair that is at fault.
its a 2005 a3 1.6 fsi sport btw.

this is my worst nightmare. :(((( absolutely gutted
thanks in advance

Are you sure its coolant or could it just be moisture produced by the cat ?

99% sure its coolant mate.

anyone heard of this issue on a 1.6 before.

and how much am I looking at to repair??

I haven't heard of it on 1.6 FSI before (I have an interest though as I have the same car)

It could be the head gasket rather than a cracked head or block - but in either case, the head would have to come off.

If you're wrong about the coolant in the exhaust, it could be a cracked pipe or thermostat housing according to these -

Fsi expansion tank

Over Heating A2 1.6 FSI

I haven't heard of it on 1.6 FSI before (I have an interest though as I have the same car)

It could be the head gasket rather than a cracked head or block - but in either case, the head would have to come off.

If you're wrong about the coolant in the exhaust, it could be a cracked pipe or thermostat housing according to these -

Fsi expansion tank

Over Heating A2 1.6 FSI

To find the source of the leak you would need to have the system pressure tested if you can't find it visually.

That said I think your egr is liquid cooled so it could also cause this you could remove it and see if it has coolant staining or if your level drops when not running bypass it and see if it holds water overnight.

Last edited: