Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TDI140
  • 1 Post By phil76
  • 1 Post By c_w

Thread: Whats best way to get LM reps dish shiny ? Pic inside

5th Gear

Status

Whats best way to get LM reps dish shiny ? Pic inside

Got tube of auto sol and will buy buffing pad that connects onto my drill will that do it ?

image.jpg
    Thats how the dishes look ill be plasti dipping the centres in gun metal grey but if i can get the lips shiny again would be better if not the whole wheels will be plasti dipped so any solutions would be good don't want refurb as there just winter set
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 225bhp 351ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    looks like youll have to remove whats left of the laquer first

5th Gear

Status
    What will i need to do sand them down and then just repaint them instead of auto sol ?
    Yolo_8p3 likes this.
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 225bhp 351ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch

2nd Gear

Status
    Put this on the detailing Forum, might get more help/ideas
    2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG S-line (8p1)
    Mods: 18" Gloss Black RS4's - 8p2 S-line Front Bumper - Black Grill - A5 LED Number Plate lights - LED Sidelights - Euro Style Plates - EGR Delete - RTech Custom Remap - Hot Start Issue Fix
    Pipeline: Lowering, Wheel Refurb, Coming Home Lights

2007 VW Golf 2.0 GT TDI 140 (Wife's)
    Mods: 18" Charlestons

3rd Gear

Status
    I think they have gone a bit far to be autosoled as they are quite badly pitted,i would either use them as is through bad weather which will no doubt be coming soon then send them away or sort them after or send them away now if you have a spare set
    NHN likes this.

Phantom Black S3,Giac stg 1,Evoms intake,Lamin-x
    (to do list,update signature pic)

5th Gear

Status
    This is my spare set ill just sand the lips down and have them plasti dipped in one colour will be fine for winter wheels

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    They're in a fair state tbh, I would get them stripped & done properly, give N8 a shout if you want the best finish.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    Whatever you have done they don't last long! If you have them laquered on polished metal it doesn't stick too well and suffers chips which leads to corrosion as water gets underneath. If you leave them unlaquered they need polishing everytime you drive it!
    WOLF likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Just want cheapest possible way of restoration as like i said there just for winter but i dont like the state of them

5th Gear

Status
    LM reps for winter?! You clearly have no clue what so ever.

You polish them up, then overnight during the winter months they will have corroded.

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfworth View Post

You polish them up, then overnight during the winter months they will have corroded.
    nothing wrong with lm reps for winter wheels, not my first choice, but hey what ever floats your boat
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfworth View Post

And wait till you see what the RS3 boys buy for their winter wheels!
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    nothing wrong with lm reps for winter wheels, not my first choice, but hey what ever floats your boat
    never bought them i sold my porsche wheels for £700 and the guy also gave me these as part of the deal who would turn that deal down

5th Gear

Status
    Considering you are recommended to clean lm's every single day in the winter I'd rather not have them during the winter.

They are like speedlines, you are only happy with them on two occasions.
    1. When you buy them
    2. When they are clean

they are horrendous to clean in the summer, let alone when you can't feel your fingers in winter.

Neutral

Status
    You'd be able to buy a new set of lm reps on eBay for the same price of getting them refurbished :-/ I use to have these on mine. Nice wheels just a shame the lacquer on the reps are poor. Genuine all the way!!
    Back to the point yeh refurb or new wheels buddy you wont be able to save them now not unless you polish the lip right up.

Short Back

Status
    ...besides, won't the Plastidip peel the first time they smell a Jet Wash?
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

2nd Gear

Status
    Have you been using Acid wheel wash on them or taking the car to a cleaner who uses a wheel wash containing acid?
    MY10 S3 Sportback - 6Sp Manual - Sprint Blue
    REVO Stage 2+ /
    Forge Twintake / 3" Miltek Hybrid DP/​ Autotech HPFP
    Bilstein PSS10
    / H&R 10/12mm Spacers / BFI Dog Bone /EBC Yellowstuff

BUILD THREAD

Diesel Power!

Status
    Sand blast them, or rub them down then Plasti Dip?
    Black Audi A3 8P 2.0TDi

V-Maxx Coil overs | S3 Rear Spoiler | De Wiperd | TTRS Alloys | S3 Rear Bumper | S3 Side Skirts | Votex Front Spoiler | LED Ring in Fogs | LED Interior Lights | LED Number plate lights | Custom Foot well lights | DPF Removed | Green Cotton P/F | JBS Phase 2 | Pressed Plates | LED Side lights | Custom Rear Light tint | Complete Matt Black Plasti Dip | Honey Comb Front Grill | Silvertec Indicators | BOSE | Sunroof | Forge Short Shift

1st Gear

Status
    Put them on the front of the car, jack the car up, stick it in first, and use some 2000grit wet and dry paper on them. That'll strip any remaining laquer and get them shiny.

Then give them a coat of ceramic wheel sealant and they'll be good for winter

(Note: the above only works on fwd cars)

5th Gear

Status
    Ive only had the wheels a week like i said above someone traded them in against my porsche cayenne turbo wheels and paid cash on top so i decided to keep these as winter wheels, i tried 400 wet n dry and it took remainder of laquer off so i will take the wheels off one by one and wet n dry the lips until they are smooth and have left them with a standard silver style colour theb ill plasti dip the centres the outside can stay a standard silver as they look quite good when sanded with wet n dry