Hid what brand

PhilLUFC

Reaction score
Wanting to get some hid's for my 07 2.0 tdi

wanting a bluey tinge to them so what temp ?

also what brand are good off ebay what wont throw up errors cheers

Reactions: Minstadave
6000k is white with a slight blue tint
I have these, very clear when driving and match with most "white" leds which comes in handy when changing side lights.}

most kits on ebay are fine, just understand if you pay £30 over £80 there will obv be a difference in quality.

just make sure they have a warranty on them. Usually 2 year on ballast and 1 year on bulbs.

Don't bother:

1) it looks pikey
2) HIDs in reflector lenses dazzle oncoming drivers
3) they'll blow your front wiper motor

Yea HID kits will most likely blow your wiper motor - not a cheap repair bill

Just buy some decent normal headlight bulbs, HID's are awful

6000k is white with a slight blue tint
I have these, very clear when driving and match with most "white" leds which comes in handy when changing side lights.}

most kits on ebay are fine, just understand if you pay £30 over £80 there will obv be a difference in quality.

just make sure they have a warranty on them. Usually 2 year on ballast and 1 year on bulbs.

All kits i have had over the years, and other have noticed, the kits are identical all built on the same production line just a differnt box at the end.
My £25 ones lasted years and are still going now in my old cars headlights.

Before someone comes on and says "my HIDs don't dazzle" - I am quite often dazzled by HIDs that have been fitted to reflector and even projector lights - I don't flash the "offender" because there are usually plenty of other folk about who don't need dazzling by me.

Ask yourself why MOT regs and Construction and use regs require auto levelling, washers and light units designed for HIDs.

Reactions: danb986 and PaulAr
I find the worst offenders are range rovers, due to their height

Although if you insist on HIDs, get the well done hid kit, it won't blow your wiper motor but costs approx £130

Reactions: blazedani
I don't mind the proper ones - any dazzle is very temporary (like when they crest a hill). My two previous cars had proper factory HIDs and they are very good, I'm talking about the ones off eBay that every 10th or so car around here seems to be fitted with - they can be really blinding.

Considering how few people seem to know what that thumbwheel height adjuster is for on their lights, I consider auto-levelling for HIDs to be essential and that's why it's in the C&U and MOT rules.

I don't mind the proper ones - any dazzle is very temporary (like when they crest a hill).
Not if you have them in your rear view mirror.

Reactions: The Engineer
Just buy some decent normal headlight bulbs, HID's are awful

:ermm:

What I meant was buy some Osram Nightbreakers, instead of dazzling all the normal people on the road just because having bright blue headlights "looks well cool, innit"

All kits i have had over the years, and other have noticed, the kits are identical all built on the same production line just a differnt box at the end.
My £25 ones lasted years and are still going now in my old cars headlights.

You can not be more wrong.
All HID's are not the same.
There are hundreds of different factories & thousands of different ballast & different technologies.

Some HID kits fry the wiper motor & some don't.

What you are saying is just like saying all OEM HID are the same.
And they are not, different factories & different technologies again (D1S, D2S, D3S, D4S, D5s, D6S)
Integrated starters, not integrated, AC ballast, DC ballast, mercury free bulbs, not mercury free, 3000 Lumens, 2000 Lumens...

I could be all day telling you the difference between them.

This is why you can find £25 & £200 HID kits.
And no, again they are not the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although if you insist on HIDs, get the well done hid kit, it won't blow your wiper motor but costs approx £130

+1 to the welldone hid kit.

They have been tested on Vortex forums for more than 2 years.
Nobody had any problem with the wiper motor.