NEED HELP! Passenger seat air bag igniter. Code 01218 (N200)

zak151

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I recently installed half leather interior in my A3, airbag light came on as expected. Cleared all the codes but one is still remaining and wont clear the airbag light (it keeps coming back)
Want to get it sorted because I have my MOT next month, and its ****** annoying!
Comes up with the code 01218 (N200) which is the plug under the passenger seat I believe.

I read a few places online to clean the plug and connectors, but that didnt work.
So I decided to bypass it all together and connector each wire directly (no plug) and that still didnt work.
I don't know if I done it right because never done this before but its not rocket science. I followed a guide online, disconnected batter so on. I ended up with this:

Photo 3

Cleared the code and still the light comes back.

Anyone have any ideas what else I could do?
My dad is breaking an a3 so can get the plug that connects to the ecu and re connect it
If it is the airbag itself can I use the airbag off my old seat?

Any help would be much appreciated
Zak

Assuming it was an A3 half leather interior you fitted?

Airbag maybe an issue, I would swap for yours, but cutting plugs of wasn't a good idea as it obviously wasn't an issue before, so the connector in the floor wasn't the problem.

You need to check the wiring colours match up properly, so you need a wiring schematic as following online guides can sometimes cause more issues than fix.

Yea it was half leather,
and I know I kinda regretted it as soon as I cut it lol but that was the only way to connect the wires directly?
i did test them and the wires are all connected correctly that why I thought it might be an issue with the airbag itself? But would it show that code if it was?

You need to find the resistance of the airbag igniter and put a resistor across it but if you check the wires in the seat and reconnect them all you will properly solve your problem

did you cut the plug at the floor ?

if you did ots the wrong one
its the yellow plug on the underside of the seat can been seen when removed

is that normal wire aswell ?

yea i cut the plug at the floor. i got a wire with the plug off another a3 so gunna reconenct them and get the plug off my old seat and connect it to the other side see if that works tomorrow