JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Westy
  • 1 Post By JJ.Foulds

Thread: Please dont flame me, cheap alternative to the carbonio carbon intake? opinions

5th Gear

Status

Question Please dont flame me, cheap alternative to the carbonio carbon intake? opinions

So firstly am i right in thinking these kits just replace the stock air filter and place a new cone inside that shell, and it just fits on the end of the original engine cover? if what i say is right then move on to my next paragraph.

APR CARBONIO COLD AIR INTAKE CAI INDUCTION FILTER AUDI A3 8P 2.0 & 1.8 TFSI | eBay

So in place of these kits, why could i not just fit the correct sized pipe to the same place in the engine bay as the kit would go, EG,
    45 Degree Silicone Elbow Bend Hose - Silicone Rubber Coolant Radiator Pipe | eBay

to a correct fitting cheap filter that all the 8L's seem to use, EG
    GENUINE HONDA S2000 AIR FILTER 2000 | eBay

and with a few jubilee clips job done? and disregarding 'looks'

Please tell me if im missing something, but as i can see you can get this stuff together for like 30 odd quid and surely with a bigger filter it should be better anyway? lol let the noob flaming begin!

JJ.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    So looking into pipe diameters, the engine cover is just over 70mm, (about 73 ish it looked) and am i right in thinking the filter is 80mm? so a slightly bigger pipe for that.

Did notice a possible problem, will that perticular filter actually fit in the space? even if i angle it down it still looks tight on space, anyone can recommend another cheap alternative thats maybe slightly smaller?

JJ

5th Gear

Status
    i bought the stuff anyway, so i will see how it turns out! lol (if it works...)

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    good luck mate!

Im after a K&N Typhoon Cold air intake for my tfsi, i love that noise it makes
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

5th Gear

Status
    well id be getting the AS/AMD intake by choice, but this worked out to be £26 ha, and now i have a filter for the MTC intake when i actually get some money like!

Hopefully this setup will sound good aswel!

JJ

5th Gear

Status

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Found this on facebook, what im looking to do.

Will have the hoses tomorrow so shud be able to update! (if it all fits lol)

JJ

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Good luck!
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    What happened with this?

I've just come from the 8L boards as I now own an 8P 2.0 TDI. The 1.8T boys are all running S2000 filters and as a result I have a brand new one in my garage. I found this thread from doing a little search.

I took my 8L S3 to Badger5 where I had my car dyno'd with the stock airbox then with a big cone filter. I saw an extra 5bhp and 7lbft just from fitting a cone filter so I'm very interested to get my S2000 filter fitted.
    Sandra likes this.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    What happened with this?

I've just come from the 8L boards as I now own an 8P 2.0 TDI. The 1.8T boys are all running S2000 filters and as a result I have a brand new one in my garage. I found this thread from doing a little search.

I took my 8L S3 to Badger5 where I had my car dyno'd with the stock airbox then with a big cone filter. I saw an extra 5bhp and 7lbft just from fitting a cone filter so I'm very interested to get my S2000 filter fitted.
    Yeah i ran it for a few months, then upgraded to the cheapy mtc intake using the same filter.
    If you check my profile u shud see the outcome thread somewhere! Post on it if you find it lol

But i got the s2000 idea from the 8L section lol. Caus it makes sense!
    Westy likes this.
    05, A3 8P 2.0TFSI Quattro