Radio removal tips

• Thread starter imported_Watson
  • Start date
I

imported_Watson

I have fitted a Parrot kit in my A3, but need to get it out to fiddle with things as the volume is too low (I suspect this is because of a 5 Ohm resistor in-line that I was advised to fit to stop the volume being too high!). However, I can't get the ****** headunit out again.

It's a Symphony II and I have Audi 'keys' but now have cut hands as if I've been in a fight after several hours of messing. I've also tried the other tips of a cut up credit card and picture hooks straightened out. Does anyone have any ideas about the best way to do this or should I bite the bullet and order the 'official' keys from VAG parts - do you reckon I will have better luck with these?

Thanks,

Toby.

I have these ones. However - and searching online formus shows I am not the only one - have found them not to work very well. The ones I have are Autoleads branded ones so that is a bit surprising.

These ones from VAG parts may be a more up-to-date design - you can see they are a slightly different shape. I think that the problem with the ones I have is that although they are stamped Audi, they are the same ones that are also labelled 'Euro' on some packaging and are supposed to fit several makes. I couldn't give a hoot about other makes at the moment though, he says, nursing plasters on cut fingers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Am I right here or just been cack-handed with the keys?

Toby.

The ones you have are the autoleads universal one's, they work perfectly well in most cases, I am having trouble getting my Symphony out myself, one side comes out OK the other is firmly stuck.

I had the opportunity to talk to the stealers the other day, and he recognises that this is sometimes a problem, it appears the locking clips can get damaged and if that happens it's trouble, he said that on my car for instance (RS4) there is no other way of getting the unit out, even the centre console bolts are behind the radio faceplate.

He said in extreme circumstances surgery is sometimes needed that destroys the radio /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

He did give me a word of caution however, if you decide to use the proper VAG keys (the second picture in your post) they lock positively in "working" clips, they can only be released when the unit is out, or use brute force and wreck the retaining clips.

For my part i reckon after 3 hrs of trying i need to resort to surgery, I don't need the radio anyway.

I have the official Vag ones and they take a bit of persuading to unlock the head unit. When I wired in my car kit there was a fair bit of swearing but once I had it sussed they do work ok. Bit of wiggling and the unit will come out.

J.

[ QUOTE ]
The ones you have are the autoleads universal one's, they work perfectly well in most cases, I am having trouble getting my Symphony out myself, one side comes out OK the other is firmly stuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, me too. The right side is ok, but the left is firmly stuck!

[ QUOTE ]

He said in extreme circumstances surgery is sometimes needed that destroys the radio /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

He did give me a word of caution however, if you decide to use the proper VAG keys (the second picture in your post) they lock positively in "working" clips, they can only be released when the unit is out, or use brute force and wreck the retaining clips.

For my part i reckon after 3 hrs of trying i need to resort to surgery, I don't need the radio anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trouble is the Symph is good for my needs and I'd hate to wreck as it's fairly new and will presumably be expensive to replace (although I suppose that would give me an excuse to replace with Navi Plus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif , although with the miles I do and as I already have a TomTom GO I can't really justify that!). I guess I have nothing much to lose with getting the keys stuck...

Thanks for the information. Has anyone else had this problem and rectified it?

[ QUOTE ]

I have the official Vag ones and they take a bit of persuading to unlock the head unit. When I wired in my car kit there was a fair bit of swearing but once I had it sussed they do work ok. Bit of wiggling and the unit will come out.

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks marriedblonde - which keys do you have?

when buying keys for my headunit, there were two types listed. One set for horizontal keys, and another for vertical keys...

[ QUOTE ]
when buying keys for my headunit, there were two types listed. One set for horizontal keys, and another for vertical keys...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I bought the latest design, which allows the turning of the keys through 90 degrees before use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

madvw is right. the symphony (i think) and other units with verticle slots for removal keys have a slightly differnt lockpin location to the horizontal ones of the concert etc.

Bit confused by this - my Symph has four horizontal slots.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I bought the latest design, which allows the turning of the keys through 90 degrees before use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

they are really different, so unless they are double ended i cant see how:

Horizontal keys:
181320-02.jpg

Vertical Keys:
181320-01.jpg

with the horizontal keys, make sure you put them in the right way, flat edges facing away from the stereo (notched side inwards).

Thanks for that Madvw - the top ones look the other images I've seen of the VAGparts keys and a bit like the dreaded ones that I have that don't work.

Had another fiddle and still at a loss as to how to get it out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif - and more ideas?

Toby.

Thanks very much MrLapou - those keys look more like the ones that I have now ordered from Vagparts. This gives me some hope, although I am not sure it will be an easy job to get the unit out if it turns out that the pins have been damaged... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Pins simply push flat clips on the side of the unit in. The cut out on the pin, hooks behind the clip so it's a positive lock and thus allowing the unit to be pulled out using the pins.
Well that's the theory......
Perhaps Audi will pop the unit out for you foc?

[ QUOTE ]
Audi..........................foc?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

before I bought the 4 x removal pins, they offered to do it foc.

They popped the unit for me foc. However, I had just bought a new glovebox and cd changer lead, and asked to purchase a set of keys, but they didn't have any in stock/want to sell me any so they pulled the radio for me.

A quick followup on this:

The VagParts keys arrived and I tried them yesterday and they worked first time! What a difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Toby.