A3 N/S rear breaks/wheels heating -smoking

Adam_A3_

Reaction score
Hi all. Was driving yesterday a and smelt some burning from the rear. Smelt like rubber. I pulled over and checked the car and found hot smoke from the rear passenger wheel area. The smell here was strong and a lot of heat..

Not too sure what to think. I had to park up for ten mins and drive slowly home,

i had the drivers side rear calliper changed after my mot as the hand break wasn't working on that side n both rear shockers too.. My discs are worn but got a decent thread pad in there.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

thanks

Something is holding the brake on on the NSR.

Pads stuck in caliper carrier
Seized caliper sliders
Seized caliper
Seized park brake lever
Sticking hand brake cable.
Collapsed brake hose not releasing the pressure off the piston (The most unlikely one of the list)

Start by having a look at the caliper to see if the park brake lever is fully returning when the park brake is released.

If it does, then next step would be a strip and clean of the rear brakes, making sure that the brake pads are able to move easily in the caliper carrier. Also while it is apart remember to remove the caliper slider pins to apply some copper grease and make sure they move freely. Wind back the caliper piston and reassemble. Pump the brake pedal and then go for a road test to see if it has cured it.

If you have little mechanical experience then I would strongly suggest you have a garage do the above.

Agree with the above,i would be looking for a kinked brake pipe not releasing the fluid if you've had a new caliper

Thanks for your replies

I have no mech experience. Took it to the garage today. They took everything (pads and calipers) off and couldn't find anything wrong with the caliper. Mechanic said the disks were completely shot so I had rear disks and pads replaced.

Hoping this will cure the problem. Drove home four miles and went near the wheel to smell and there was a little bit of smell. Well take it out later for a longer drive and see if it happens again

If the disks and pads werent bad and now there shot i would say its obviously something wrong with the braking system

The pads were fine. the disc was shot. this has been the case for a while. the outer rim on the disc was quite badly corroded, and bits were falling off. im assuming maybe some of this got caught up in the pads and disk on breaking.

new discs and pads have been ok so far - touch wood.