Broke down

Biggles44

Reaction score
Hi all, driving home this afternoon in the rain, and all of a sudden the oiled pressure light came on, engine cut out so I stopped, rang up to get recovered, when they turned up it started, so I drove on again, two hundred yards from home and it stopped. So garage has towed it away.
any suggestions as to what happened ?

oil pick up blocked? Not sure if still a common problem on later cars.

It's a 2007 model, 170 bhp engine. Really pis...g me off. Is that an expensive fix ?

Great, not I wanted to here. Is that what it might the oil pick up, or is there anything else it could be ?

Seeing as you drove it again i'd be chancing and saying it's ok.
No abnormal noises i take it?

Not a single noise at all, sounding perfect, no power lose, just cut out. But why no engine management light ?
and thank you for responding

If it is the oil pick up, the engine will have been effectively starved of oil.

It really needs to be investigated further. Might even be an electrical gremlin ? All in all it needs to be scanned to see if this yields anything untoward and then take it from there as well as the usual checks that should be carried out

If it just cut out it could be something like a faulty dash pod or immobiliser. Like I said get it scanned and take it from there. Should cost you no more than £40 at an Indy garage to do this.

Could be dodgy wiring to the oil pressure sensor, that's the sensor that flashes up the warning on the dash.

Ok, the car went in last week with this starting issue, which turned out to be the starter motor. They plugged it in then and no faults. I'm new to modern cars so excuse me if I sound thick, lol.

Thing is we are all guessing, a scan might show what it is straight away.

Starter motor. Maybe wrongly diagnosed and could be that your alternator is goosed and you have a majorly flat battery. Strange how it started again though. Get it scanned !

Sorry. I had another thread a while back with a starting issue, it was plugged in and the starter motor showed up as fault.
I don't understand why the engine management light didn't come on with what happened today