D3S 6000k OEM Replacements

JoeDeeJay

Reaction score
Just thought id share something I bought on eBay that I have never heard of in UK

2X PHILIPS XenStart Ultra Blue D3S BULBS LAMPS HEADLIGH 6000K BMW VW AUDI | eBay

I put in a few offers, £57 was accepted, only a £1.99 saving. Paid £3 extra postage, delivery took 5 days from Bulgaria which is pretty quick really!

Thing that attracted me to these was they are genuine Philips 6000k rated bulbs which will match the LED DRL's on my Facelift. There are loads of bulbs out there but I wanted some branded ones so will be looking forward to fitting these in next few days. Plus seemed a good price, the chinese 6000k bulbs go for roughly £40 on eBay so to foot an extra £20 to get something branded seems a fair deal

Anyone else bought these or heard of Philips UltraBlue before?

Last edited:
Make sure they are genuine, also 6k can have a very low light output aswell, so compare side by side as such as I had some 6k's ages ago on D3S & they were terrible, could hardly see the road, swapped to oem's & much better.

Strange as I cant find the D3S showing for these bulbs from Philips.

Last edited:
They are genuine. The numbers on both of the bulbs registered online as they come with a 2 year warranty. In the uk they are called BlueVision but we dont have d3s as a bulb type for them hence why I sourced some of the UltraBlue which do have d3s as bulb size.

Unfortunately, fakes are indeed very believable, numbers are added to be authentic, so check 100%, as I looked at the Philips automotive lighting brochure which shows the ultra blue xenon bulbs & it didn't list D3S as a viable fitment, so does beg the question.

Right, I have searched high & low on multiple Philips websites, also downloaded the 2013 marketing brochure for the lighting systems for automotives & I can say without a shadow of a doubt, there are no such D3S Ultrablue bulbs available from Philips, there are D2S & D1S fitments.

Also I have contacted the Philips automotive lighting division, they've stated to me none of there systems show this bulb in the D3S fitment, only D1S, D2R, D2S.

Also, the sellers on ebay haven't responded to my questions about them being genuine, not once got a reply, which indicates to me, they're choosing to not reply because the point being made by me is they're fake.

Also, the code on the boxes shows up for the standard D3S bulb, not ultrablue, so also makes me curious as to where they came from.

Here's 1 Philips marketing pdf:

http://www.lighting.philips.co.uk/p...s/documents/automotive/xenon_all_lamps_en.pdf

Reactions: sliced
Balls. Most delayed replied ever but, I just checked the serial numbers properly and they only matched to a plain D3S bulb. I thought I was onto a winner when the website took the serial number, should have read in detail hah.

I opened a case with the seller, trying to get a partial refund on them seeing as they do actually work as bulbs. Trying my luck at £30 back which seems fair really. No doubt i'll have to wait the full 28 days for eBay to intervene with the case.

Id edit my original post to reflect this if I could, wouldnt want anyone else buying them when they could just get a pair off eBay for cheaps

It's SO annoying when this happens, but I had read on HIDPlanet about these fake D3S 6K bulbs coming from Eastern Europe as I was looking for similar bulbs for my new car. If they are effective though and look good, it would be great if they accept your partial refund terms. I doubt they would want to kick up a fuss to be fair, bearing in mind they are selling counterfeit bulbs. Let us know how you get on.

The closest OEM quality (though only sold as aftermarket) bulb you can buy is the Philips X-Treme Vision D3S, which is rated at 4800K colour temperature. Considering that the Philips D3S bulbs in facelift 8P's are rated at 4150K, the 4800K bulb is much whiter and a lot more pleasing on the eye, without losing any light output on the road. They are not cheap though, ..the cheapest I've seen them for is £180 for the pair on EBay. I always found the OEM Xenons to be very yellow and looked for ages for something better to replace them with.

You can get 6000K bulbs in other fitments such as the Osram Xenarc 66140 CBI (Cool Blue Intense) in D1S fitment, but so far they haven't manufactured OEM 6000K bulbs in a D3S unfortunately.

Managed to get £30 back off them, so all in I paid £27 + £3 postage for them, which is what a pair of unbranded ones would have cost anyway.

They didnt kick up a fuss or argue the point so something tells me that probably already knew they were counterfeit.