heavy clunking 08 A3 S line

MBurrows91

Reaction score
hi

I have searched the forums and come across similar but cant locate my actual fault.

I have a 2008 s line A3 3DR.

since purchase (3 months ago) there has been a noise from the rear...

I would best describe it as a hollow clunk, reasonably loud and has gotten slightly worse as time has gone on.

I have had 2 garages look at it to no avail, first said they cant find nothing, nothing is loose or looks worn but suggested maybe the sport suspension is set too hard but they would require to strip all the components down ($$$).

The second garage claimed it was a worn tie rod, which they changed and it made no difference.

any suggestions are welcome!

had similar, turned out to be spare tyre was not correctly placed. Take everything out of boot including tyre jack, boot tray cover etc etc and see if the noise is still there?

I have tried that, noise is still there :think:
Does the clunking happen when you drive normally, on a flat or bumpy surface, acclerating, steady or braking? any extra info would be nice

Does the clunking happen when you drive normally, on a flat or bumpy surface, acclerating, steady or braking? any extra info would be nice

The slightest bump in the road causes it. acceleration, turning or braking doesn't noticeably effect the severity of the noise.