Headlights adjustment or diffusion sticker in UK?

synthdood

Reaction score
Going to the UK for the weekend to spend newyears eve with family.

This is going to be the first trip in the UK for my continental sportback. Do I need to stick a pair of those horrible stickers on the headlamp units to avoid blinding oncoming traffic or does the A3 have something I can adjust on the headlamp units?

I get blinded all the time by other drivers, I shouldn't worry about it, no one else seems to!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Going to the UK for the weekend to spend newyears eve with family.

This is going to be the first trip in the UK for my continental sportback. Do I need to stick a pair of those horrible stickers on the headlamp units to avoid blinding oncoming traffic or does the A3 have something I can adjust on the headlamp units?

[/ QUOTE ]

My UK spec car has German headlights fitted, tend to dip them a little bit when I go back and its never been a problem in the past so doubt you will need too...

Probably worth remembering a boot full of luggage will effect them as well.

You can just flick a switch inside to take them from RHD to LHD, its that simple.

Somewhere on this site is a link.

However, take the rear cover off your headlamp unit and look at the back of the dipped beam reflector. There is a small metal switch, flick this the opposite way to the position it is currently in (downwards I believe) and it changes the beam pattern to LHD.

Do this on both units and you're ready to go!!

If you have normal rather than xenon headlights, there are no levers for adjustment on the current 8P A3. The method of changing headlight for continental driving is to purchase a set of plastic headlight protectors from your Audi dealer. These include small black stick-on patches. The protectors have marks on them to show where the patches should be applied.The part number is ZGB8P0072100. They are very easy to fit and when you come back just remove the protectors, leaving the patches in place and they are ready for the next time. This allows you to retian the normal settings for the dipped headlights and just blanks out part of the beam that is designed to light up the near side of the road more intensely

This is covered in the 'Driving abroad' section in the Owner's Manual. (page 277 in my manual). According to the same section, for safety reasons, xenon headlights should have the dip settings changed by a qualified workshop.

Also worth being aware that a very high percentage of vehicles in France, Germany and Holland drive with dipped headlights all the time. The Governments in these countries 'recommend' this. In Austria it is a legal requirement.

Aha, I guess a trip to the dealer is in order then since I don't have xenon. I am Dutch and my car came configured to always have the dipped lights on. Auto lights was a waste of money for me :-(

The dutch government is curently working on legislation to make it required to have the dipped headlights on all the time.

As I understand it, it will be a EU wide requirement within the next few years.