New caliper's and pads on rear and now spongey breaks.

heap1000

Reaction score
Just had both rear callipers and pads changed due to one seizing and the other would not go back on. When I drove the car i now have to press the break peddle twice as far for it to break (found this out by overshooting a junction!) do you think that they have not got all the air out at are the breaks likely to settle down?

Not bled at all possibly, they should of done a prolonged road test & they would of found out then, not the best I'd say.

It was done at a Seat garage (father in law works there so just pay parts, he is not a mechanic though). Don't think it had been road tested though but then again I am not sure. I mentioned it to him and he said just break them in.

With the engine off I pump the break 3 times and it goes hard (does sound like air is coming from the pedal area?) but once the ignition is turned on it goes soft again. I can pump it again but itdoes not get as hard and goes soft a lot quicker, (****** hell that like a paragraph out of 50 shades of grey!) r

You'd think a competent seat tech would of sprayed something on the rubbers, but hey who knows.

Take it back, slowly & get them to bleed it properly.

what the hell kind of garage doesn't do a BRAKE job properly???!

ANGRY to read threads like this

That's frightening that they let the car go back out on the road in that state.

I would take it back to them to get it done properly

That's frightening that they let the car go back out on the road in that state.

I would take it back to them to get it done properly

Maybe his father in law is trying to tell him something

Reactions: DomH and stuartm
We had the exact same problem in my a3 my partner picked the car up the mechanic said nothing and my partner drove away down a hill to the junction only to discover the brakes weren't working properly she went back and he said they just neede to bed in that was
more than 2 years ago they did sort themselves out having gone to another garage and had them tested

The difference you describe with engine off/on is the servo effect (not saying you are wrong about the brakes, but what you describe when stationary sounds normal-ish). If you pump enough times with engine off, the vacuum in the servo is exhausted and the pedal goes hard because you now have no servo (or power boost if you're American) assistance to the brakes. Start the engine and you get new vacuum (via pump if diesel as they don't make much vac), so the pedal is lighter (softer).

It does sound as if you have an issue there all the same - I had my rear discs and pads done a while back and whilst they weren't any better feeling, they weren't any worse.

I'd take it back to them, drive it straight through the window pinning them against the back wall then get out and calmly say "I'm not sure you did my brakes properly"

Hi sorry for the late reply been very busy.

I took the car back to the garage and they took it out for a good test drive and also put it on the break testing machine. The out come is that my breaks are very good and will fly through a MOT.

The reason they feel worse to me is due to them been seized since i got the car so when i have been pressing the break pedal it did not move very much as it was only pushing the front callipers, now it is pushing all 4 there is more movement. I just need to get used to how my breaks should be and not how they were. To be honest i am already used to them as they don't feel as bad (or maybe they did do something to make them better???)

So they feel fine now, no more having to press the pedal twice as hard?

They probably didn't bleed them and just didn't want to own up to not doing it. Even with all brakes working correctly you shouldn't have to press the pedal twice as hard to stop