Volks AutosChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

Oil leak - 2.0tdi

Hi,

Our car has started making a whistling noise which sounds like its coming from the rear passenger side of the engine. Has gone in to limp home mode a few times, especially when travelling 60-80 mph.

Our local garage has had a quick look and can't see any obvious split hoses - I have had a look and there is oil leaking from the place shown in the attached pics - I'd be grateful for any help as to whether this oil leak (perhaps a seal has gone?) could be the causing the noise.

Many thanks

mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    It looks like the oil is coming from the egr valve, the seals needs replacing but from what i can see from the pics the oil is coming from the egr valve inside in that case you might need to get a new one.

And for the whistle noise that could be from the turbo and specially when going to limp mode indicates the turbo is sticky
    A3 8P 2.0TDI 140 Sport | Blue | Full Leather Heated Seat | BOSE | 6 Disc Changer | None Smoking Pack | | Nav | Xenons |
    Mods | 18" Rotiform Staggered | Tinted Windows | S3 Spoiler | 2009 S-Line t Rear | Front Chin Spoiler | Wind Deflectors | Re-Map |
    | MY11 Lights | S3 Side Skirts | Private Number Plate | Milltek Exhaust | S Line Gear knob

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hey, many thanks for your quick reply. I've had a look and the egr valve looks quite easy to change, so I'll have a go at that tomorrow!

if turbo is sticky, does that mean that it needs to be replaced?

Sportback owner

Status
    What he means is that the variable vanes inside the turbo are not operating properly. These vanes are moved by an external vacuum actuator mechanism, and control the amount of boost pressure. If the vanes 'stick' (don't move) then you get an over-boost situation and thus a limp mode to protect the engine. Get the garage to check on the actuator mechanism to see if it does move properly. If it does not, then check on the vacuum feeder pipe. There is a strong possibility you will need the turbo serviced/cleaned or changed for a new or refurbished one.
    French A3 Sportback 2006, 2.0L 140 TDI, DSG, RSN-E, Ambient lighting, Auto-lights/wipers, Reverse assist, Dolphin Grey, 17" wheels, Leather seats, Cruise control, Roof bars.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thank you for your quick reply, that's handy to know