Volks AutosEM Tuning
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NHN

Thread: Fitting the Rear Number Plate

Neutral

Status

Fitting the Rear Number Plate

The first job whenever I buy a new car, is a set of number plates, they arrived this morning so promptly took the old ones off. Front first and new plate fitted, slightly off centre but only a few millimetres.
    On to the rear, removed the old plate to find there's a bit of a recess. I don't like having screws on the plate and always opt for the stickers, but there's not a lot of surface area so not sure what to do. I could get a couple more stickers and cover every inch of panel that meets the plate but not sure how good this will be. THe other option is to screw a mounting plate on and then fix the plate to that. Other cars have all been a nice flat surface.
    Any suggestions?
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    I only ever use the cushioned double-sided tape (comes on a roll), that's recommended for fixing plates... get the right spec with a hi-impact adhesive layer and you should be fine. I'm the same in terms of drilling plates - just seems so wrong.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    As above, grab some pads from audi parts departments which are great for plates come on a strip & just build up the area where it would stick, doesn't need the whole recessed area building up, just 2-3 strips & I never drill plates or use screws, looks awful.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3_Mayhem View Post
    I only ever use the cushioned double-sided tape (comes on a roll), that's recommended for fixing plates... get the right spec with a hi-impact adhesive layer and you should be fine. I'm the same in terms of drilling plates - just seems so wrong.
    Is this the stuff? I've only ever needed to use the strips that come with the plates. If it's not thick enough I guess I can just double up to bridge the gap.
    Halfords | Harris Number Plate Tape (12mmx4m)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Looks the ticket.

One of the review comments says it's quite thin; you might need to use more than one layer to 'build-up' the lower profile areas.

Neutral

Status
    Sorted, cheers!

Flying low level

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Helifella On Twitter
    Heavy duty Velcro either side of the indentation does the trick.
    Regards
    HeliFella

I.A.M. Member http://www.iam.org.uk/about-us/

'61 spec, A3 Sportback S-Line Black Edition in Ibis White, EM Tuning upgraded LED extended interior XL lightpack,
    Duxback Glass Treatment, Diamond Vision front fog lights, shortened number plates,
    gloss black rear rings & black edition S-line wing badges. Blackvue DR550GW 2 channel in-car camera with Smart Power battery protection.

1st Gear

Status
    Four vertical strips (double sided pad tape) equally distant and mines not budged!
    2007 A3 S Line Quattro 170 TDi

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    I've used lots of sticky pads, number plate hasn't fallen off yet! Front ones are screwed on due to curved front.
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    If you use the right strips & positioned well, the fronts wont come of even with curve, done it like that for years, also helps to bend the plate beforehand & give it a little bit of shape
    sliced likes this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    All done, got the car out and the gap isn't as big as I'd first thought. Put a strip of the tape all the way round the outside and a double strip in the middle padded out to meet the plate. If the next owner wants to change the plate he's going to have to change the bumper. That plates going nowhere.