Loosing water quicker than i can fill it up!

johnnynewell

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new here and hopefully you guys can assist me.

I have an Audi A3 2.0 FSI. 54 plate. At the moment the coolant is being used quicker than i can put it in. I have taken it to my local mechanic and he is saying that it is a O-ring in one of the pipes. (sorry for not being too specific, computers were always my thing not cars). I have spent a few hours googling around and it appears that O-ring seals are only £6. The mechanic is charging £192 (inc vat) to do this for me. My dad knows his way around a car, but these newish engines are a bit out of his comfort zone. I was wondering if any of you have ever heard or experienced anything like this?

Just to clarify, I am putting around 2 liters of water in the coolant bowl every day. The engine light comes on quite a bit which means i have to pull over and wait for it too cool down before putting more water in. I would really appreciate anyhelp, this is the last straw with this car as i have spent more time fixing problems than i have had enjoying it :(

what pipe is it ?

Hi mate, sorry to hear about your problem. Worth mentioning though use coolant rather than water if your topping up! otherwise you risk damaging your engine / cooling system further. Also i'd say don't drive it too, as over heating an engine is not good. I had this problem with my Leon Cupra R and it ended up being the radiator had broken (stone went through and damaged the fins) But it was the same, top it up and then it would loose coolant / flood out.

Its worth getting up / under the car and looking to see where the coolant is dripping from. What pipe, and where. Jack the car up, fill the coolant up and turn the engine on, then lay underneath and watch for the waterfall!

Once you have identified the pipe make sure its not a split pipe (easy to replace) but if its an O ring, make sure you know what pipe and then get it changed. Might be a PITA to get to and might take a couple of hours, hence the large price from the garage for labour costs, but if you can do it and save the money....

Hi mate, sorry to hear about your problem. Worth mentioning though use coolant rather than water if your topping up! otherwise you risk damaging your engine / cooling system further. Also i'd say don't drive it too, as over heating an engine is not good. I had this problem with my Leon Cupra R and it ended up being the radiator had broken (stone went through and damaged the fins) But it was the same, top it up and then it would loose coolant / flood out.

Its worth getting up / under the car and looking to see where the coolant is dripping from. What pipe, and where. Jack the car up, fill the coolant up and turn the engine on, then lay underneath and watch for the waterfall!

Once you have identified the pipe make sure its not a split pipe (easy to replace) but if its an O ring, make sure you know what pipe and then get it changed. Might be a PITA to get to and might take a couple of hours, hence the large price from the garage for labour costs, but if you can do it and save the money....

Thanks man, I appreciate your input. I have to drive it at the moment as i commute around 30 minutes to work and don't have access to another car. If i was to put coolant in the container it would cost me loads as i have to top it up after about 10-30 minutes of driving. Everytime we have put the car up on the ramps i can't seem to see where it is coming from. As my knowledge is limited on cars, I have to go from what my dad says. He thinks its not coming from the radiator but can't pinpoint which pipe its coming from.

I know i'm asking very open questions, so I am sorry guys.

Does the coolant go through lots of pips before/after the radiator? Or will it just be 1 pipe to the radiator?

Thanks man, I appreciate your input. I have to drive it at the moment as i commute around 30 minutes to work and don't have access to another car. If i was to put coolant in the container it would cost me loads as i have to top it up after about 10-30 minutes of driving. Everytime we have put the car up on the ramps i can't seem to see where it is coming from. As my knowledge is limited on cars, I have to go from what my dad says. He thinks its not coming from the radiator but can't pinpoint which pipe its coming from.

I know i'm asking very open questions, so I am sorry guys.

Does the coolant go through lots of pips before/after the radiator? Or will it just be 1 pipe to the radiator?

Ask the mechanic to tell you where the pipe is or get 2 sets of eyes, you underneath and you dad from the top. You can follow the pipes from the coolant bottle to work out where its going. Quite a few pipes that it goes through. Look for a powdery / chalk like residue (this is dried coolant) which might help identify where it is.

that's the best advice I can give without seeing the car.

Just pressure test the coolant system via the coolant reservoir & then look for leaks.

Rad corners are well known, heads, reservoirs etc so do pressure test 1st.