Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By S3Alex
  • 1 Post By drnutta
  • 2 Post By drnutta

Thread: Alcon advantage extreme kit

3rd Gear

Status

Alcon advantage extreme kit

Has anyone fitted the Alcon advantage extreme 6 pot kit to their 8P A3 or S3?

I'm interested to know if they fit under the standard facelift S3 wheels?

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

2. # ADS
    ADS

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DeckedS3 View Post
    Has anyone fitted the Alcon advantage extreme 6 pot kit to their 8P A3 or S3?

I'm interested to know if they fit under the standard facelift S3 wheels?
    Might be best to ask AMD,as I know they use Alcon gear on the BTCC Golf.

The Alcon is probably the most expensive of the current kits,and I can certainly vouch for them having used their gear before,but it's not neccessarily a huge step performance wise over AP,or similar.

2nd Gear

Status
    I have the Alcon kit... but I can't tell you if it fits with the new face lift wheels...
    Although you can download the Alcon PDF tech sheet which gives you the clearance measurements.

DeckedS3 likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    When I was running the R32 I went with the Porsche bbk kit and I liked it but it needed spacers. Guys in the US were running the Alcon without spacers with some very good reports.

Drnutta, Are you running your setup without spacers? Is it the 4 or 6 pot?

ill see if I can find the data sheet. Thanks

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

2nd Gear

Status
    Before I bought the Alcon's I had a run in the 6 and 4 pot versions... and to be honest you will hardly notice the difference between the 2 on the S3 (the car is just not heavy enough).

If you are going to use the brakes for weekend track use I would recommend just going for the 4 pot save yourself the extra money and get RS29 Pads all round.... (RS29 pads are £280 for the front pair!). Although No fading, kind on the disc's and they last the whole day

P.S you can use the RS29 on the road as well.

Are the brakes worth it? Depends... if your go for the occasional track day then YES!

So to answer your question the one on the car is the 4pot unit, RS29 Pads, No spacers.
    DeckedS3 and S3Alex like this.

3rd Gear

Status
    I want something that works well with the standard master cylinder. I've tried kits in the past that lost that bite you get initially.

Ive absolutely cooked my brakes after a few high speed runs in Europe and I need my brakes replaced. As they need to be done and I've recently had a bit of a power increase i'd like to replace with something that has a little more feel over the stock brakes.

I think the 4 pots will keep the feel, but i do have a heavy right foot. I'm undecided over the 4-6 pots at the moment.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DeckedS3 View Post
    I want something that works well with the standard master cylinder. I've tried kits in the past that lost that bite you get initially.

Ive absolutely cooked my brakes after a few high speed runs in Europe and I need my brakes replaced. As they need to be done and I've recently had a bit of a power increase i'd like to replace with something that has a little more feel over the stock brakes.

I think the 4 pots will keep the feel, but i do have a heavy right foot. I'm undecided over the 4-6 pots at the moment.

Actually the feel is improved and sharper...hard to describe but certainly not like OEM (more controlled). In the kit there is a requirement to use the provided brake line, as well as replace brake fluid with motul dot 4 also in the kit.

Alcon are racing / track brakes... the 4 pots have immense stopping power.... And unlike the Brembo brakes are significantly lighter.

If u have the money... Go 6 pot but at at disc size of 365mm you will need to increase rim size to 19"

another thing to note is replacement parts is not cheap. So the added cost for 6 pots may scare you when the time comes to do maintenance.

3rd Gear

Status
    Ah..... Could be a show stopper.

I have a couple of sets of 18's, one of which is a set of lightweight alloys for messing about/track use. My 19's are heavy and the car isn't setup for them on the track. I'm going to see if I can get any of my wheels over them......

Thanks