Chris NottMonster Motorsport
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SmithyAG

Thread: WARM START FIX

6th Gear

Status

WARM START FIX

why is it some cars need a warm start map to make car start first turn of the key when warm.

i have this in mine but wonder since ive had a new head and bottom end rebuilt if i need it .

going for another map soon
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs / Oil catch can

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm

FLYWHEEL + HELIX CLUTCH KIT FOR SALE

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I have this problem takes 3/4 turns when engine is hot. Anyone know the cheapest and quickest way to resolve it?

07 170 DSG

Status
    Coolant temperature sensor gives this fault.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Reverse Gear

Status
    I had it mapped out. Wouldn't tell me what the actual cause is but it's been spot on since.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleseo View Post
    I had it mapped out. Wouldn't tell me what the actual cause is but it's been spot on since.
    How much was it and where can you get it done from. If I get a remap done will that solve the issue?

Enthusiast

Status
    New battery fixed it in my case.
    VCDS USER

6th Gear

Status
    I changed every Think didn't fix it so was mapped out.
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs / Oil catch can

2nd Gear

Status
    I checked/changed loads of things, nothing worked so I got it mapped out when I got my car remapped from R-tech.
    2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG S-line (8p1)
    Mods: 18" Gloss Black RS4's - 8p2 S-line Front Bumper - Black Grill - A5 LED Number Plate lights - LED Sidelights - Euro Style Plates - EGR Delete - RTech Custom Remap - Hot Start Issue Fix
    Pipeline: Lowering, Wheel Refurb, Coming Home Lights

2007 VW Golf 2.0 GT TDI 140 (Wife's)
    Mods: 18" Charlestons

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by emznjav:1958778
    How much was it and where can you get it done from. If I get a remap done will that solve the issue?
    Was done by a Quantum tuning rep locally. Got it generically mapped at the same time and had the EGR light disabled. Think it cost about 180 for the lot. I had to request the hot start fix and EGR.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE69 View Post
    Coolant temperature sensor gives this fault.
    Ive tried this when I have removed the coolant temps sensor off and it still does it? is it the crank shaft sensor? or the clutch?
    A3 8P 2.0TDI 140 Sport | Blue | Full Leather Heated Seat | BOSE | 6 Disc Changer | None Smoking Pack | | Nav | Xenons |
    Mods | 18" Rotiform Staggered | Tinted Windows | S3 Spoiler | 2009 S-Line t Rear | Front Chin Spoiler | Wind Deflectors | Re-Map |
    | MY11 Lights | S3 Side Skirts | Private Number Plate | Milltek Exhaust | S Line Gear knob

2nd Gear

Status
    Was done by a Quantum tuning rep locally. Got it generically mapped at the same time and had the EGR light disabled. Think it cost about 180 for the lot. I had to request the hot start fix and EGR.
    Had quantum map on mine, hows it been on ur car? i never thought to ask them about the hot start fix :/
    Last edited by AudiMafia; 2nd September 2013 at 12:26.
    A3 8P 2.0TDI 140 Sport | Blue | Full Leather Heated Seat | BOSE | 6 Disc Changer | None Smoking Pack | | Nav | Xenons |
    Mods | 18" Rotiform Staggered | Tinted Windows | S3 Spoiler | 2009 S-Line t Rear | Front Chin Spoiler | Wind Deflectors | Re-Map |
    | MY11 Lights | S3 Side Skirts | Private Number Plate | Milltek Exhaust | S Line Gear knob

Reverse Gear

Status
    Apart from the turbo recently blowing lol? I'm pretty that is a turbo issue and the map didn't cause it though. The extra strain might not have helped but it was going to go eventually.

Happy with the map. Power wise it was conservative but MPG increased by about 10% on a good run. The hot start fix worked and has been fine ever since. I doubt they would charge much just to add the hot start to your file.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I need help! Hot start problem!

I have a 1.9tdi PD105 which used to take ages turning over when warm. On cold start its fine, however it used to turn over for ages till it actually fired up. I had it remapped to 135bhp by Midland Remaps and he cured the problem. He said it is a common fault being a slow crank speed, so he set the ECU to send the fuel in sooner causing it to fire up first time every time.

HOWEVER! Around 10,000 miles since the map, on hot start there's been a couple times where it just about turns over and just gives up and simply doesn't start, literally like as if the battery is dead, the battery test shown that its still strong. So I have no idea what it is? Starter motor maybe?

Its like the car picks and chooses when it wants to fire up on hot start. Sometimes it turns over really slow but still fires up, sometimes there's no issues, and twice now it just hasn't started until the engine cooled down.

Thanks, Gavin
    20140211_163746.jpg

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow SmithyAG On Twitter
    Your tuner is correct. The hot start problem is caused by a lazy starter motor. The ECU doesn't inject fuel on a warm engine until its over about 280rpm. On a cold engine it injects fuel straight away to help it start.

It sounds like your mapper has lowered that 280rpm figure, which helps it start when hot. The problem is now your starter is so lazy that it struggles to get to the revised figure.

People often think a coolant temp sensor is at fault, because when you unplug it the car fires first time. This is because the ECU defaults to a cold start when it has no reading from the sensor.
    SAiLO and kanecullen89 like this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SmithyAG View Post
    Your tuner is correct. The hot start problem is caused by a lazy starter motor. The ECU doesn't inject fuel on a warm engine until its over about 280rpm. On a cold engine it injects fuel straight away to help it start.

It sounds like your mapper has lowered that 280rpm figure, which helps it start when hot. The problem is now your starter is so lazy that it struggles to get to the revised figure.

People often think a coolant temp sensor is at fault, because when you unplug it the car fires first time. This is because the ECU defaults to a cold start when it has no reading from the sensor.
    Excellent advice. Makes a load of sense. I'll be getting the starter motor changed today and I'll let you know how i get on. Many thanks.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Please do, would be good to know its worked!

Reverse Gear

Status
    It`s nothing to do with the map , my brother was checking for error codes on mine and on doing this he noticed the **** slow warm start issue . He promptly did some googling as he remembered something about it , then he advanced something witch actually worked . So i don`t know how but it can be done on VCDS and ever since has started really well when warm

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

So he may have advanced the fuel injection point on a hot start?

Which is exactly what we have being saying. Maybe we were a bit lazy and called a software change a "map". However, the principle remains the same.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SmithyAG View Post
    So he may have advanced the fuel injection point on a hot start?

Which is exactly what we have being saying. Maybe we were a bit lazy and called a software change a "map". However, the principle remains the same.
    hot start fix is definately done in the map ,never heard of any fix via vcds . fuel isnt injected if the rpm is too low .

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

That's what I thought. It was the previous poster who suggested it was done via VCDS.

I've only ever seen it done through a map. Although it can be done without a performance gain, so not necessarily part of what most think of as a "remap".

3rd Gear

Status
    yeah was re-enforcing your post

Reverse Gear

Status
    Well my car starts better than it ever has and it has not been near a mapper . I will ask my brother what he did later in the week

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Let us know alastair, would be interesting to see what he changed to see an improvement.

3rd Gear

Status
    maybe adjusted cam timing . but wouldnt be with just vcds, spanners required as well

Reverse Gear

Status
    No, i buggered around for hours trying to get the cam timing just right . It was no better so i gave up , he fixed it in no more than 5 min , i`ll see him thursday so i will ask

3rd Gear

Status
    out of curiosity what year / engine do you have alastair0903

6th Gear

Status
    hot start fix is definately done in the map