EM TuningChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

A3 TDi 2.0 Blown Turbo

I did put a post up yesterday but it doesn't seem to have materialised...

Apologies for the abrupt first post - I've been a long time lurker of all the info on here.

As the title suggested, the turbo on my A3 blew yesterday. 3rd gear, WOT, a little short of 4k rpm - bang/pop, lots of white smoke, loss of power and a nasty whine. Shut the car down as soon as I could pull over, only a short distance. Fair bit of oil on the floor and it was down to the minimum on the dipstick (had been at max).

Had a look under and the turbo has quite literally split. The picture below is from another thread but that is essentially what has happened:

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG_0371.jpg

I could still see the turbine (from what I could see) so fingers crossed nothing has gone flying down the inlet

I've been questioning whether the power has been right for a little a while and I've also noticed a slight whine at low speeds. Anything more and any whine is drowned out. Sods law is, I was logging when the turbo blew! Boost grapah is below.

Something was clearly wrong. No idea how high it did actually boost and it won't record above 2600. Not sure if it went into limp mode at the time either.

Any thought on cause? I'm leaning towards jammed vains or actuator which a new turbo will hopefully solve. Could it have been anything else? Mileage is 117k and it has been mapped.

Any input or experiences would be great.

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    117k for me it was caked up majorly coupled with imbalanced shaft from worn internals.

Stick a new turbo on, job done

Got a brand new bkd turbo with 360 thrust bearing boxed for sale if interested, ping me a PM.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    I'm hoping that's what it was. Does the graph look indicative of that? I'll run another log when the car is back on the road and hopefully the graphs will match.

Is it likely to have caused any additional damage? It was idling fine before it was shutdown (touch wood!). Assume the pipework will just need a good clean to make sure there is no shards in there.

Garage will be ringing tomorrow to give me a price. NHN, is there any chance you could PM me a price for the one you've got? If they take the 'P' I'll source my own instead.

5th Gear

Status
    Was you getting any sort of siren noise from your turbo prior to it going?

Reverse Gear

Status
    There was a very slight siren noise at low speeds. Any faster and the road noise drowned it out so it wasn't bad by any means. Only noticed it navigating new work car park in first gear about 3 months ago. It's not got any worse in that time.

P R N D S

Status
    Mines 105k on the stock turbo. readind this has worried me. is there anything i can do to prolong the life of my turbo?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jphc View Post
    Mines 105k on the stock turbo. readind this has worried me. is there anything i can do to prolong the life of my turbo?
    Not sure if there is anything you can do. They seem to go at almost anytime. So could be partly down to driving styles. My 2.0 TDI (170) is just past 125K with no turbo issues yet...May have just jinxed it!
    Audi A3 Sline 170 2.0 TDI

Mods Done
    -
    RNS-E mkII fitted, Tinted Repeaters, Center Armrest,
    LED Interior Lights, Cruise Control, LED Number Plate Lights,
    VW fan windshield washers, S3 Pedals, Metal Footrest,
    DPF & EGR delete, Unicorn Remap, De-badged the tailgate.

With DPF Without DPF

5th Gear

Status
    My bet is you've remapped the tits off it, what power you running from it?

P R N D S

Status
    Hmm what's the average cost of a new turbo on the 140's? I might need to increase the emergency fund!

1st Gear

Status
    mine popped at 100k standard 140 car bkd, replaced with a recon and a remap,cost me £290 recon and £20 gaskets from audi

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfworth:1958955
    My bet is you've remapped the tits off it, what power you running from it?
    No idea on power. It only had a conservative flash map done when EGR light was being disabled and hot start fixed. It's the work horse so emphasis was very much on longevity.

The requested boost is visible on the graph and isn't asking too much. The actual boost is suggesting a physical problem rather than mapping. The late spool up and overboost is making me think the vains or actuator weren't working. The spool up looks like that of a non VNT turbo.

2nd Gear

Status
    Ive got the siren thing going on in my car for about a week now and most likely is the imbalanced shaft from worn internals as NHN stated
    A3 8P 2.0TDI 140 Sport | Blue | Full Leather Heated Seat | BOSE | 6 Disc Changer | None Smoking Pack | | Nav | Xenons |
    Mods | 18" Rotiform Staggered | Tinted Windows | S3 Spoiler | 2009 S-Line t Rear | Front Chin Spoiler | Wind Deflectors | Re-Map |
    | MY11 Lights | S3 Side Skirts | Private Number Plate | Milltek Exhaust | S Line Gear knob

Reverse Gear

Status
    Well; I got the car back last night although I couldn't go to pick it up.

It seemed to be driving alright although to be honest it didn't feel much different from before the turbo went. Took it easy on the way to work this morning but first incline and some load and it started to leak boost quite heavily. Que back to the garage. There is a split on the elbow straight off the turbo so I'm now waiting for that to be replaced. No doubt a piece of turbine struck the bend when it went and weakened it.

I got to have a look at the turbo when I went back to the garage:

The inlet turbine has come loose and smashed itself around but the exhaust turbine is intact. The actuator rod was also fairly easily movable as well which is concerning.

What else would cause the boost to be so far from the requested? Vacuum leak on the actuator line or an issue with the solenoid block? Very much open to ideas.....

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ouch!!!!

Thats fairly fatal there, I'm guessing you've been lucky and no other damage done.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Other than the delayed split in the turbo hose, all else seems to be ok. Touch wood. Intercooler and pipe work have been cleaned of oil and shrapnel and it doesn't look like anything went down the exhaust side.

Now I just need to work out if it was the turbo at fault or something else. There were no error codes following failure.