Chris NottAH Fabrications
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By smurfworth
  • 2 Post By h5djr
  • 1 Post By coxy8329

Thread: Keeping my car long term is a DPF delete worth it??

1st Gear

Status

Keeping my car long term is a DPF delete worth it??

Hi guys.
    I know the DPF delete plus remap is an endless discussion on here and gets a bit boring.
    However, I can't seem to find an answer to my subject.
    We have a December 2008 170 that we have had for a year now, I do approx 20-22k a year and now the mileage is at 90k without any DPF issues.
    I was wondering if a delete is worth while. I intend to keep the car until its that tired it has to go to car heaven. (Scrap yard) so I hope this is many years away.
    However, I don't want to jeopardise the life span of the engine by doing things that could reduce its life.
    At the same time I don't want to have to shell out for DPF problems.
    The question is, do you think a DPF delete is worth it?
    If so, which is the best one to go for in terms of not destroying the clutch and other things.
    Is an EGR (think that's what it is lol) delete worth while too?
    When the exhaust needs replacing I intend to fit a stainless system so it never has to be changed again. Other than that are they any other modifications worth doing?
    your help is appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Wait till it starts playing up and then have it done.

If it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

You may find with the usage that you get out of it that you don't actually have problems with it.
    davesimmo likes this.

If you intend keeping the car for some time, be aware that the DfT could change the rules of the MOT and require a check that all cars that had a DPF when they were Type Approved require one to pass the test. You would then have to pay to have a new one fitted which could work out a lot more expensive than removing one.

I have so far had four A3 2.0 TDIs and three of them have had DPFs and I've had no trouble at all from any of them.
    davesimmo and SPARTAN91 like this.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks guys. I thought that might be the best way. Like you say if they change the rules it will be rather costly to re fit one. Plus have to loose power that your are used to.
    The only reason we intend to keep it is because I do so many miles and to change it after a few years would be daft because it would loose so much money.
    We have two cars, the other one hardly does any mileage so we change that every 3 years.
    I am using dual carriageways for half of my journeys everyday so it's not like is is labouring along in town all the time.

Reverse Gear

Status
    with no dpf car does not fail mot on emissions but like mentioned if its not there it will fail the mot. we generally cut a small square out back side of dpf so hidden by engine block and remove all internals and weld back up. that way still looks standard and as if it still contains one.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by davesimmo View Post
    Hi guys.
    I know the DPF delete plus remap is an endless discussion on here and gets a bit boring.
    However, I can't seem to find an answer to my subject.
    We have a December 2008 170 that we have had for a year now, I do approx 20-22k a year and now the mileage is at 90k without any DPF issues.
    I was wondering if a delete is worth while. I intend to keep the car until its that tired it has to go to car heaven. (Scrap yard) so I hope this is many years away.
    However, I don't want to jeopardise the life span of the engine by doing things that could reduce its life.
    At the same time I don't want to have to shell out for DPF problems.
    The question is, do you think a DPF delete is worth it?
    If so, which is the best one to go for in terms of not destroying the clutch and other things.
    Is an EGR (think that's what it is lol) delete worth while too?
    When the exhaust needs replacing I intend to fit a stainless system so it never has to be changed again. Other than that are they any other modifications worth doing?
    your help is appreciated.
    I had my DPF removed, an egr delete and remapped a year ago and have put 28K on it and (touch wood) not a single problem. I just keep on top of the service schedule..

I did however have mine gutted and did not replace with a through pipe. Personally IMHO it was worth it as it transformed the car completely and made it a lot more fun to drive
    Current:
    8P2 S3 Phantom Black | Sunroof, RNS-E, AMI, FBMFSW, Bluetooth, Auto lights & wipers, CHL, LED Interior light pack, Black Styling pack, Miltek Catback, MY11 rear lights and remapped by Unicorn Motor Developments

Previous:
    8P2 A3 2.0 TDI 170 S Line Quattro Grey | Remapped
    8L A3 1.9 Tdi 100 Sport Black | Remapped to 130

4th Gear

Status
    If you're doing a lot of mileage, think of the fuel savings
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave@remaps View Post
    with no dpf car does not fail mot on emissions but like mentioned if its not there it will fail the mot. we generally cut a small square out back side of dpf so hidden by engine block and remove all internals and weld back up. that way still looks standard and as if it still contains one.
    i do like this idea. Hmmmm thinking now......

Quote Originally Posted by stetheo View Post
    I had my DPF removed, an egr delete and remapped a year ago and have put 28K on it and (touch wood) not a single problem. I just keep on top of the service schedule..

I did however have mine gutted and did not replace with a through pipe. Personally IMHO it was worth it as it transformed the car completely and made it a lot more fun to drive
    thinking even more now, do you loose potential performance by not having a through pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. View Post
    If you're doing a lot of mileage, think of the fuel savings
    how much of a difference does it make to the fuel economy? Do you get loads of black smoke on boost?. What is the potential performance gains?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stetheo View Post

one more question..... How often do you have yours serviced?. Mine is on the long life plan which is ideal as I do 20-22k a year. Would I have to do it every 10k?.

1st Gear

Status

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by davesimmo View Post
    how much of a difference does it make to the fuel economy? Do you get loads of black smoke on boost?. What is the potential performance gains?
    Small vid of a 170 on the Dyno

You get a bit of smoke but not too much.
    My car's done over 125K and Rick map transformed it.
    It took them about 4 hours to do everything.
    davesimmo likes this.
    Audi A3 Sline 170 2.0 TDI

Mods Done
    -
    RNS-E mkII fitted, Tinted Repeaters, Center Armrest,
    LED Interior Lights, Cruise Control, LED Number Plate Lights,
    VW fan windshield washers, S3 Pedals, Metal Footrest,
    DPF & EGR delete, Unicorn Remap, De-badged the tailgate.

With DPF Without DPF

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by coxy8329 View Post
    Small vid of a 170 on the Dyno

You get a bit of smoke but not too much.
    My car's done over 125K and Rick map transformed it.
    It took them about 4 hours to do everything.
    thanks for sharing that, I am ready for a remap and delete, which one to go for is the next question lol

4th Gear

Status
    How much depends on your circumstances, but poster above yours has gained 6.5 mpg after one of my remaps and DPF deletes

Rick
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. View Post
    How much depends on your circumstances, but poster above yours has gained 6.5 mpg after one of my remaps and DPF deletes

Rick
    PM SENT