AP coilovers vs H&R 50mm springs - pics & review

smurfworth

Reaction score
Considering i struggled to find pics when i was looking for both setups heres a few

H&R:

IMG_0773.jpg

DSC00818.jpg

DSC00814.jpg

Very comfortable and handle very well for just a set of springs
Become bouncy after a while due to standard dampers not being adequate which becomes annoying
Go low enough to scrape the undertray
Wasn't low enough for my liking, i prefer a tight gap oooooerrrrrr missus

AP coilovers:

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

Harder than H&R springs but somehow comfier
Dont bounce half as much as H&R springs did
Go low enough for my liking even though they are wound all the way down, possibly has a little more to settle still though as these were fitted 5 days before these pictures

Definitely should have ordered the AP coilovers instead of the springs but i was afraid of coilovers due to ruining my last car with JOM coilovers, they are awful.

Definitely recommend the AP's, my advice would be don't be cheap on suspension like i did with my last car on JOM's, buy decent gear and you'll be happy, i certainly am with these AP's.

Reactions: V6 Quatt and Hoesty
I prefer the 50mm lower looks smart, mines like a 4x4 compared lol

Haha yea, thats based on the 8L platform, which you cant get as low as the 8P because theres too much stuff that hangs off the bottom, been there done that lol

The 8P can go stupidly low before you start scraping stuff.

Mind you, i dont have an undertray anymore which probably helps

Ahh right all new to the 8P was wondering if and how much i can lower by 50mm seems good, not after springs at the mo, too many other things i need lol

I have got the H&R Kit on mine too, I love the difference it made over stock but for me its still not low enough and doesn't feel as nailed down as I would like it too.. I will fit the Poly Bush kit and hope it feels better if not I will be getting AP's too! Attached some pics of how it looks on the H&R's now..

View attachment 28448
View attachment 28449

I have got the H&R Kit on mine too, I love the difference it made over stock but for me its still not low enough and doesn't feel as nailed down as I would like it too.. I will fit the Poly Bush kit and hope it feels better if not I will be getting AP's too! Attached some pics of how it looks on the H&R's now..

View attachment 28448
View attachment 28449

Thanks for taking the time to post some photos, but attaachments dont seem to work

I would say get some proper coilovers if you want your car to handle properly, potentially slightly thicker roll bars, anti lift kit etc. Putting £300 coilovers on your car will make it rock hard, and you might think because of this, your handling is better, but i bet my life on it wont be! low dosent always mean better, if you drop your car past its points of design balance, then you will in essence make it worse, and a good alignment set up is worth its weight in gold.

I was looking at h&r sprigs for my SE. Would you guys advise me to change the shocks or will they be okay?

Thanks

I'm on h&r 50mm and now fed up of hitting the speed bumps in London. Thinking of going with Eibach 30mm - I'm on Sline shocks ... Thoughts? Don't want the expense of decent coilovers.

I'm on h&r 50mm and now fed up of hitting the speed bumps in London. Thinking of going with Eibach 30mm - I'm on Sline shocks ... Thoughts? Don't want the expense of decent coilovers.

The EIbach Pro springs will give you more of a subtle drop and a lot more practical, should work well on the S-line dampers depending on mileage covered.

Damian @ DPM Performance

125,000 miles. also would 2.0tdi s line shocks be a direct fit onto my 1.9tdi? Both 8P

Ok thanks that's helpful. Would you advise against getting used shocks?