Steering wheel wobble, running out of ideas?

bailzey

Reaction score
I've got a 2.0tdi with a pretty severe wheel wobble at 70mph+ and dies out at about 90mph. The steering wheel shakes much worse on acceleration compared to when im staying at a constant speed. I can feel the vibration through my feet as well as the steering wheel. So far I have tried: Balancing the wheels twice (both at different places to rule out a dodgy balancing machine), swapling the front wheels on to the back to see if the vibration shifted due to the wheels not being true, jacked up and looked for any signs of wear/play in anything, swapped both drive shafts along with inner and outer cv joints and tracked the wheels. The next thing to try is the strut top mounts and wish bone bushes seen as they look cracked although there is no play in them! The cost is slowly rising I've spent over £400 so far and I am yet to get to the bottom of the issue. It's completely ruining driving the car for me! Can any body shed some light on what it might be as I'm running out of ideas!

To eliminate tyres, swap the wheels from back to front.

If a wheel has hit a bump it could be buckled. But I'd have thought the tyre place may have pointed this out during balancing.

Have you got any other wheels to put on the car that you know are not buckled or damaged ? That will eliminate the wheels ,

Bailzy, when you mentioned that you had 'swapped' the drive shafts and CV joints, did you mean you replaced them with new parts? If you did not, then an out-of-balance shaft or joint would still create a vibration no matter which side it was installed. On your car, the suspension/steering system is sensitive to a particular frequency however it is generated. A combination of suspension parts/bushes etc could well create this situation. Did you have the wheels dynamically balanced, or better still balanced on-car at 70+? Wide rims are particularly sensitive to, and need balancing weights both inside and out. Last thing, some tyres get out-of-shape only when they are spinning at high speed. That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck.

I have the same problem after putting used tyres on the front. Usually I put brand new on however it was sort of an emergency and funds were not there.

Could be a long shot but perhaps a deformed tyre? Has it sat for a long period or bubbled perhaps?

By any chance does the vibration feel much worse if you brake between 70-90mph also?

I'm having a similar issue on my car. However I tend to find if I give car a quick blast & get brakes hot it clears any deposits left on pad/disc which helps a little but still get vibration issues & on long drives it gets very annoying & ruins the whole experience of driving.

Ok I will attempt to answer all questions here haha! Yes I have tried swapping wheels from front to back.. made no difference what so ever. The drive shafts have been replaced with all new parts meaning new cv joints and shafts, they are handed so no way of swapping the right to left etc. The wheels are aftermarket yes but are fitted with correct spigot rings. No bubbles in any of the tyres and the car is used daily. I don't have another set of wheels to try however I have tried swapping the fronts to rears. The vibration is not when braking only on accelleration from around 70mph up to around 90mph it doesn't happen when braking so that rules out warped discs. I have not had the wheels balanced whilst on the car maybe that will be something to try although I'm feeling doubtful at the moment!

Thanks for the replies guys I will carry on searching for the problem :(

Oh and yes the tracking has been done, no improvement.

I fixed mine by changing spigot rings. Ones I had were slightly worn hence the intermittent wobble. Try get metal ones instead of plastic.

Well up to press I know that some of the bushes are a little worse for wear and the front strut top mounts are goosed. Going to change them this week and will report back with results!

I once traced something very similar to a single rear tyre - I found it by jacking up the front, then back, placing a piece of wood under each wheel in turn, then spinning the wheel. one tyre was misshapen - not obvious to the naked eye, and had been missed as I'd had all of them balanced trying to cure the wobble.

I once traced something very similar to a single rear tyre - I found it by jacking up the front, then back, placing a piece of wood under each wheel in turn, then spinning the wheel. one tyre was misshapen - not obvious to the naked eye, and had been missed as I'd had all of them balanced trying to cure the wobble.

I will most definitely give that a go, can't harm to try it!

Dannykn9 believe it or not I had originally thought it may be that because one of them was making a nasty noise, changed the whole near side hub for a new one which cost me £230 fitted. The noise went, but the wheel wobble persisted!

Play in the rack also could cause this i suppose ,when the racks are goosed the rack arms have a few mm play.

Been a while since I've been able to make any update here. Well to be honest it's not an update really as I have not done anything else up to now as I've run out of cash! Going to try a different set of wheels soon and see if there is any improvement, I may then look at changing the bushes. I'll try to keep it updated here.