Help needed with a3 with following problem -

geordiegooner

Reaction score
hi
im going to have a look at a audi a3 2.0 tdi sport 53 plate which has been described by the seller with the following problems:
everytime it gets to 60 mph it go,s into limp mode and you have to restart the car again to get it back to normal again and has been plugged into code reader and it said the mass air flow meter was at fault so she had new one fitted and still same problem.
its taxed and tested with 134k on the clock but with full history and only going to be used as my winter hank.
So what should I be looking at when I go to view and what could be causing the problem with the car going into limp mode.its a bit strange that the sellers also selling a vw Sharon with the same problem of it going into limp mode at 60mph is it a common fault.
thanks for any help

hi
im going to have a look at a audi a3 2.0 tdi sport 53 plate which has been described by the seller with the following problems:
everytime it gets to 60 mph it go,s into limp mode and you have to restart the car again to get it back to normal again and has been plugged into code reader and it said the mass air flow meter was at fault so she had new one fitted and still same problem.
its taxed and tested with 134k on the clock but with full history and only going to be used as my winter hank.
So what should I be looking at when I go to view and what could be causing the problem with the car going into limp mode.its a bit strange that the sellers also selling a vw Sharon with the same problem of it going into limp mode at 60mph is it a common fault.
thanks for any help

Seems a bit odd as it only does it at 60 mph really you would need to have full diagnostic scan of the car it's almost like its starved of fuel or air when under load ,vacuum leaks maybe but it depends how honest the description is.

It may be the turbo vanes sticking causing it to overboost?

doubt it, it would hit limp mode as soon as u hit boost. Try and get someone with VCDS to scan the car for u? And is it really worth going for a car with problems like this, it must be up for really cheap for u to consider buying it

doubt it, it would hit limp mode as soon as u hit boost. Try and get someone with VCDS to scan the car for u? And is it really worth going for a car with problems like this, it must be up for really cheap for u to consider buying it

ive got a scanner that I use on my focus but not sure if it will work on an audi aswell.im only new to audi's as been a ford man but it seems cheap but now not sure how much its worth.

the person probably bought them thinking it was a cheap fix? then when realised it wasnt is now trying to flog them?

well I went to look at it today nice clean straight looking car that the lady only had since march.3 faults came up on my reader but ive lost the paper I wrote them on:banghead: roughly 2 were related to turbo boast and the other was the air flow meter which had been changed.there was a lot of what seems like pressure when I opened the oil cap while the engine was running but no white oil/water mixture in it.still undeceided whether to walk away or not.anymore help would be gratefully accepted.

Yes it looks like a nice car. My guess is that it has a classic turbo problem, and given its mileage, that is reasonable. A full VCDS scan is necessary before you spend your cash. Most likely it needs a new or reconditioned turbo. Factor this into your buying price and get it done as soon as you buy it. Never mind it has been driven by a nice lady. With a new turbo, it is probably a good deal. Good luck mate.

is it a BKD? check for water loss, they had a major pourous head problem on the early models causing water to leak into the cylinders.if she isn't a trader, i'd be dubious of anyone selling a car they've only had for 5 months