Occasional starting issue (re-mapped & DPF removed TDI 170)

audiruss

Reaction score
Hi all,

I went to start my car today, about 24 hours since I last drove it. It started straight away but then spluttered and stalled. Then wouldn't start after three attempts and sounded like the battery was about to die. I waited a minute and finally it started but with a load of smoke coming from the exhaust. This then cleared and it seems fine. This is the second time it's happened within a couple of weeks. Any ideas?

I've only had the car a month, it's on a 56 plate with a full Audi history. I wonder if the battery needs replacing? I've just had the DPF removed and the car remapped at the same time but don't know if this has any bearing on it?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks

get Halfords to test your battery for you 1st, then look at dpf etc if its not battery, who did the work?

I don't think it is the battery though not had it tested. I spoke to Audi who immediately pointed out it could be the DPF, I then said I'd just had it removed... Doesn't take a rocket scientist I suppose..

I used Expert Tuning, the guy who did the work is currently on holiday but will contact me when he's back. I've not been that happy with it since the re-map and DPF removal as it doesn't seem much quicker and the gear changes (S Tronic) don't seem to be as slick anymore and more like a normal automatic car. Now this ****** starting issue. Sigh......

I have heard of some tuners tweaking down the cold start fuelling so as to prevent massive clouds of smoke on start-up post DPF delete. As soon as it starts to heat up the smoke disappears. Dunno if this is the problem but sounds to me as though its cold start related.

That sounds like it could well be the case. It's fine when's it's started from warm. Got to catch an early flight tomorrow morning so fingers crossed it starts ok. Will take it back to the re-map place soon. It's ****** annoying!!

Thanks chaps.