Warranty Issues *Advice Needed*

Sheltie333

Reaction score
Hey Guys, after a bit of advice here.

So basically my experience with Edinburgh Audi has gone from superb to pretty poor in the space of 5 months. After having an awful experience with John Clark’s Aberdeen Audi with my A3 I thought I would try Lomond Group, as I still wanted an Audi due to the love of the product. So here is my ‘story’ below.

March 2013 – I had owned my Audi A3 for 4 years, so fancied a change and also components were beginning fail so I felt it was time to repair and sell on.

March – Spotted a September 2010 registered Audi S3 Black Edition at Edinburgh Audi that I fell in love with, put down a deposit and waited till I got the okay to pick it up.

4[SUP]th[/SUP] April– Picked up my S3, all appeared well with the car, drove back up to Aberdeen and parked it up in the garage.

11[SUP]th[/SUP] April – After being away from the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] to the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] and working through the week using my A3 to advertise it for sale I finally got around to detailing my my new pride and joy removing all those nasty previous owner and dealer swirls etc. Upon cleaning off all dust and grime from the trip up plus dealer products I came across some really nasty marks. My best description is that a hose has been taken across the back of the car sitting between the corner of the spoiler and rear quarter panel and dragged through, then it appears to have been allowed to slide down the back end of the car. This cut my detailing spree short to avoid contaminating any more evidence of damage.

12[SUP]th[/SUP] April – Called away on a trip again but still made a phone call to my salesman to let him know, as expected he asked if I could supply him with pictures.

15[SUP]th[/SUP] April – Return from my trip and take photos of the damage.

16[SUP]th[/SUP] April – Sent an email with pictures to my salesman.

Start of May – Not heard a peep from my salesman so I phoned Edinburgh Audi to get in touch myself, he informs me that he received my email and was incredibly busy, he mentioned he would forward it on to management and get back to me.

Mid May – Yet again not heard peep, phone up Edinburgh Audi and asked to speak to my Salesman, to which they informed me that he had left the company. I was passed on to management at Edinburgh Audi, to which they had no idea of my case, he asked me to forward the email I had sent to my salesman on the 16[SUP]th[/SUP] of April. I was then booked in for the end of June for assessments on the damage.

June to August – Multiple postponements of appointments from my end due to commitments in Aberdeen and unavailability to travel during the weekdays for a warranty assessment. Eventually set a solid date for assessment for the 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] of August at Edinburgh Audi, by this time I had added further warranty issues to the list. (Tweeter Speakers crackling [Bose], Alloy Wheel coating cracked and flaking on 2 wheels, section of the stitching on the gear stick cover is loose and a screwdriver mark facia panel)

23[SUP]rd[/SUP] August – Arrive at Edinburgh Audi at 08:30 for my appointment and get seen too straight away. I take a friendly technician around my S3 and show him all the above issues for him to inspect. He then took my S3 into the garage to take pictures for the sales manager who was in a meeting all morning and also to replace my gear level cover. After they finished with my S3 I left and was told to expect a call later once an advisor had looked through the evidence. I received a call approximately 45 minutes after leaving Edinburgh Audi to which he had the following decisions for my issues:

· Gear lever covered and replaced.
· Tweeter speakers were not as the technician could not get them to crackle, fair play to him I couldn’t get the damn things to crackle on the way down so I’m thinking the crap Aberdeen roads have an adverse effect on them.
· Facia, no mention.
· Alloys were not covered as they were deemed to be stone chips (from my eyes not stone chips) pictures to follow on here to see what you guys think, if I was to repair them it would be out of my own pocket.
· Paintwork was not going to be covered as the one of the inspection managers said my Audi S3 would never have left Edinburgh Audi like that. My reply was that it had not happened within the week of picking up the car and me emailing my advisor as (1) no one could have caused the damage as it sat in a garage to which only I had access too (2) being a detailer a fundamental rule (to me certainly) is to keep the hose away from the vehicle to avoid certain damage. Am I right in thinking that my car would have been cleaned after they inspected it for damage? I didn’t pick up on the damage when I collected the car but it was coated well which does hide it pretty good, I have re applied a coating to see how well it hides it. I was having a look around some of the vehicles in the forecourt and found an identical model, colour etc. to mine so I had a quick look around of low behold the back end was across the bumper was badly marked to an extent worse than mine. Like the alloys it would be a cost to myself of over £200 to compound it out, tbh if machine cutting is their method of repairing it I think I would rather do it myself than allow them to do so.

So basically folks I’m in a situation of What the hell do I do? Am I out of line? I would appreciate all point of views and advice on this matter please. I am back in Aberdeen Sunday so will upload picture then. In the mean time all comments appreciated.

Sorry for the rant.

Jack

That is shocking m8. I can see The pointing hiding it if its an Indi garage but Audi that's downright terrible.
Dare I say that bearing in mind that it must be out of official warranty now if its 2010 it's like they don't seem to care.
If u wanted that kinda service u would have went to Arnold Clark!
Me personally I'd take it back, I'm sure ur emails and appointments would be good proof and hand it back. Tell them u don't want it.
Have u phoned Audi HQ yet? It's been seen on here that dealers only do something when a complain was sent it :)

If you wasnt able to look before buying, i would say you could claim for the cosmetic damage.

As you had oppertunity to inspect it in person, you may struggle.

Personally, if i was a detailer, i would put an estimate of the repairs to them, and if it comes to 200-400 as you suggest, id be asking them to cover half the cost maybe a little more, or offer some goodwill gesture, free service etc.

I really dont think you would get much else from them tbh. Good luck though.

Sorry but waiting 4 month for an inspection I'd phone audi hq and complain.
U wouldn't expect this off an 3 ur old audi never mind the cost on top for an s3.
Had the same feeling myself buying mine off an indi in mint condition only for multiple stone chips on the bonnet after 3 months.
Obviously If I was selling it I'd have done the same but the flip side is the paintwork has a3 year warranty against everything but chips with stones lol.
Personally would u expect to buy a car with stonechips in 2 years unless its been rallied?
I didn't either!

Its a used car so there will be some aspects that have to be accepted as per used, however, if you can show them the exact same damage on a forecourt car, this may tip there hand to pay for a proper machining to fix it, wheels for me wont go far but try your luck & screwdriver mark, well again its a used car, how bad is it.