Rear wiper

alexi77

Old bloke with too much time on his hands.
Reaction score
Help, my wifes A3 tdi Sportback has a problem with the rear wiper. It has happened a couple of times now.
The rear wiper stops in the middle of the screen and will not move. I turn off/on, the car and still nothing, is the motor going to pack up.
Its a 2010 quattro and hardly used.
Alex

Mine was doing that, took it apart and the motor is corroded inside. The washer sprays through the centre of the motor mechanism and when the seals go it leaks inside and corrodes everything. Be careful and get it checked soon because mine had started to leak onto the boot release mechanism and it can corrode that too. A new motor is around £80 and should only take half an hour to fit.

The pipe that goes through the middle of the motor for the washer is broken so water leaks inside the motor and corrodes and shorts it out mine did the same. It's a common fault there is a guide on here to fix using a plastic spray bottle tube if you don't want to buy a new motor.

Mine did that when I tried to wipe the rear screen on a dry day. It's been working since rain lubricated the screen surface, although I got a feeling it will day soon. 04 plate.

My rear wiper did the same thing, so I managed to get it back to the original resting place and pulled the fuse out and I don't use it anymore.

Hey Alex, jets get blocked & any water stays within the unit & leaks as advised above, so either remove all, clean up any wiring & see if it works again or has to be replaced, ping me an email if you're not confident in sorting & I can get it sorted for you :)

The wiper motors have been revised now so they are sealed better to stop the washer fluid entering the motor casing. A new motor is around £95.