New Timing Belt, now a "thump' on start up. Related? Flywheel?

WalterRohl

Reaction score
Hi All,
just had the timing belt replaced on my 75k 2006 A3 2.0TDi. Got it back and immediately I noticed a bit of a delay on turning the key and then a thump on start up. When I turn the ignition off the engine does seem to turn over a moment longer than it should (less than a second but noticeable). The car runs just fine, no slipping of clutch or other engine issues.

I was thinking maybe the new belt was out by a tooth (if that's still possible) but reading these posts could it be the flywheel? If so, why didn't I get this before the timing belt was done?

and how much is it going to cost...?

Many Thanks.

take it back to them asap

Thanks Bez and NHN,

as I need it everyday I drove it for a few months until the starting became a chore. Took it in with the receipt and they're suggesting it could be the flywheel, suggesting we investigate - that'll cost me £374.... Which still doesn't answer my question, why didn't it happen before I took it in? is it related?

Thanks.

no idea without hearing it
but its gona be hard to blame audi for any wrong doing as you have had it back a few month

That's what i was thinking. I guess the thing is they should get the job right first time, it's not as if we don't need cars. i get the feeling they just don"t care.. about anything but making money. Think I'll be off to an indy soon.

i wouldnt take the car to an audi dealership personally after boding my engine try taking it to awesomegti or something,, its clearly not normal atleast they wont charge you to 'investigate'

tbh if its the flywheel
doing the belts wont affect it in anyway
so may be unrelated to the work audi did.
and iv had it when iv had things done and other things fail at the same time sods law most of the time.
find a good indi get them to look at it

Bez, Sevv - much appreciated for your time tonight.
That's what i"ll do tomorrow.
Cheers.

Ah now its clearer, its, as said, going to be hard to prove much several months later.

Belt changing can cause starting issues, I suggest you get someone to check the belt & see if out at all, but dealer techies are trained to lock everything of correctly, so I'd be surprised if it is, but hey some tech's don't follow the bible aswell as others.

I had an issue with starting, moving of etc was a huge problem, with a tech mate it was discovered to be the cambelt fitted badly by selling dealer, new belt, everything locked of & hey presto ran like a dream afterwards.

Thanks NHN, I'll make sure they haven't overlooked the obvious.
cheers.

Just to clarify, selling dealer wasn't a vag dealer, was a small bunch of tw4ts up in Hull area, its been a good car apart from that but a few little biggles that should not have been present, but indy garages do take the **** at times.