What springs / Coilovers to buy?

Tommy53

Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently in the process of refurbing my alloy wheels and when respraying, ive gone from silver to more of a gun metal grey. I have just finished refurbing two and from this i have found that my arch gap looks even bigger now as they are a darker colour! Something needs to be done about this so it must be lowered :yes:

Now my alloys are standard and the size is 225/45/r17, i need to know wether springs or coilovers will be the most sensible option and which will look the best.

If possible can you please link or reccomend any to me! I dont want to be paying more than £150-200 i understand this is not alot but ill have to find something for that.

Depends on how exact you want to ride height. A lot of people go for springs and aren't fully happy with the drop they give once fitted. Beauty of coilovers is you can set it to exactly how you want it.

Realistically, the only coilovers you could get for £200 are JOMs.

Cheers mate, need to bump this as it'd be helpful with more input!

I will possibly have a set of 50mm H&R springs for sale soon which have covered 3k miles. The drop isn't low enough for my liking so gone to coilovers.

Sorry for the lack of information i have given! im after it to just look neat and sit just about the tyres. Since i sprayed these alloys it looks like its been raised!! ill try get a picture on tonight for you to get a better idea. Not sure on the dampers mate as the cars fairly new to me, probably never been replaced and the cars got 128k on the clock.

Smuf im guessing youve got 18s on aswel? i recon it may be too high for mine?

I will possibly have a set of 50mm H&R springs for sale soon which have covered 3k miles. The drop isn't low enough for my liking so gone to coilovers.

Not trying to put off a sale here, but this is why I'd always recommend coilovers to springs.

Sorry for the lack of information i have given! im after it to just look neat and sit just about the tyres. Since i sprayed these alloys it looks like its been raised!! ill try get a picture on tonight for you to get a better idea. Not sure on the dampers mate as the cars fairly new to me, probably never been replaced and the cars got 128k on the clock.

Smuf im guessing youve got 18s on aswel? i recon it may be too high for mine?

It does have 18's, you can get about 2 fingers in the gap all round but tbh, at 120k I'd go coilovers. Just not JOM's save for some more expensive ones like AP's or youll seriously regret it. Had JOM's on my previous one, was rock solid and bounced more than a bouncy castle.

Not trying to put off a sale here, but this is why I'd always recommend coilovers to springs.

dont worry mate, no harm giving advise. But yea, like I said, AP coilovers, 99% is good reviews. Even this man raves on about them ^^

You get what you pay for with coilovers I think. I did quite a bit of research before getting my AP's and they seemed to easily be the most highly rated in that price bracket.

would you say AP'S are in that price bracket? :S i just had a look and there all £400-500

Sorry, I meant in the price bracket I was looking at, sub £500.

ahhh i see :) well im not sure for now, might get some cheaper springs/coilovers for the meantime and then save up! got to fix my turbo and headgasket first :wacko:

Not trying to put you off springs as they are a cheaper option, but it could be more expensive and abit of a palaver in the long run if you get them fitted, don't like the drop, have to take them off, sell them and then buy some coilovers.

Not trying to put you off springs as they are a cheaper option, but it could be more expensive and abit of a palaver in the long run if you get them fitted, don't like the drop, have to take them off, sell them and then buy some coilovers.

Depends if you can do it yourself or know the right people, It'll be the same with springs though, as your standard dampers will become very bouncy after a while and youll have to take it off anyway.

These cars were once 30k, putting suspension on which is £170 pretty much sums it up really.

You wouldn't have a cheap heart bypass would you?

Reactions: leeds2592
Fair play it makes sense really. This is the car with the sprayed alloys, just need to save up for the coilovers now! Image