No Joy for me: Boost Pressure Regulation: Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)

AudiMafia

Reaction score
Hi all,

Usually I don't really open new threads as I like to search and search I really appreciate this form for the information that i find tips and etc and the helpful people that sign in every day to help each other and share experiences.

This time I am stuck and seeking your help.

I’m suffering from the occasional over boost and "Limp Mode" this has happened before the remapping and after the remapping. I'm afraid of putting my foot down now because of going to limp mode and finding a place to pull over to switch off my car and start up again.

Before taking my turbo off and giving it an hour clean which is not a problem but the hard bit is taking the turbo out which is a nightmare for me, where do i look else? boost pipes? recently replaced the inter cooler pipes left right because of joint split i have checked them they OK for now also the pipe that connects to throttle body used to leak air but now i have tighten it with jubilee clips.

Thanks and your help is much appreciated

A3 8P 2004 2.0TDI over 100k

5 Faults Found:
16618 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)
P0234 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2709 /min
Torque: 360.0 Nm
Speed: 118.0 km/h
Load: 72.5 %
Voltage: 14.44 V
Bin. Bits: 00101000
Absolute Pres.: 2315.4 mbar
Absolute Pres.: 2590.8 mbar

-----------------------------------------------------------------

16618/P0234/000564

16618/P0234/000564 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)

Possible Symptoms

• Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
  • Boost Pressure too high
  • Reduced Power Output
Possible Causes

• Hoses incorrectly connected, disconnected, blocked or leaking
  • Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75) faulty
  • Boost Pressure Sensor (G31) faulty
  • Turbo Charger stuck/faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Charge Pressure Control System
    • Perform Output Test (to check the Turbo Charger)
    • Perform Basic Setting (to check the Charge Pressure Control)
    • Perform Pressure Test to locate Leaks
  • Check/Replace Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75)
  • Check/Replace Boost Pressure Sensor (G31)
  • Check/Replace Turbo Charger

Think you got the wrong end if the stick mate.

I'd say you didn't have a leak as you wouldn't make too much boost if your piping was all good.

If its the 140 tdi engine I'd almost say its defo the vanes in the turbo but without being there can't say 100%

Think you got the wrong end if the stick mate.

I'd say you didn't have a leak as you wouldn't make too much boost if your piping was all good.

If its the 140 tdi engine I'd almost say its defo the vanes in the turbo but without being there can't say 100%

LMAO sorry Jack I was in a rush reading it, your making a lot of sense.

Limp mode appeared after when i replaced the seals o-rings and inter cooler hose, tighten the joint between the throttle body and the hose.

It feels like there is no much boost and the car isn't pulling

Thanks man

Overboosting is usually turbo vanes on the 140's, so would be my 1st check.

Overboosting is usually turbo vanes on the 140's, so would be my 1st check.

Thanks Nigel, that's my job tomorrow hopefully we a bit a bit of sun as its been raining all day today here

The infamous turbo siren just showed up this morning thought I had a police car behind me looked at the mirrors but nothing then i realized the turbo was doing that all the way all day today.

So what do I do still go for sticky vane cleaning? refurbished or new turbo? please help

If you have time on your side take it off have a look and assess the damage.

I'm not really sure where the siren noise comes from but when mine was removed the exhaust side had chips missing out of the fan blades....

Not an expert but I think that could cause a strange noise...

It stopped when I put a new turbo on too....

Reactions: AudiMafia
If you have time on your side take it off have a look and assess the damage.

I'm not really sure where the siren noise comes from but when mine was removed the exhaust side had chips missing out of the fan blades....

Not an expert but I think that could cause a strange noise...

It stopped when I put a new turbo on too....

I tried to take it off it looked too difficult specially when tried to undo the turbo connecting with exhaust pipe could not move at all, im guessing the siren noise is not coming from there after that i tried to separate it?

thinking of taking it to a garage for £100 to remove it and i can clean it my self then or my next option is hybrid turbo.

Also saw this , was a bit grease should i worry?

Photo

Hi all,

Usually I don't really open new threads as I like to search and search I really appreciate this form for the information that i find tips and etc and the helpful people that sign in every day to help each other and share experiences.

This time I am stuck and seeking your help.

I’m suffering from the occasional over boost and "Limp Mode" this has happened before the remapping and after the remapping. I'm afraid of putting my foot down now because of going to limp mode and finding a place to pull over to switch off my car and start up again.

Before taking my turbo off and giving it an hour clean which is not a problem but the hard bit is taking the turbo out which is a nightmare for me, where do i look else? boost pipes? recently replaced the inter cooler pipes left right because of joint split i have checked them they OK for now also the pipe that connects to throttle body used to leak air but now i have tighten it with jubilee clips.

Thanks and your help is much appreciated

A3 8P 2004 2.0TDI over 100k

5 Faults Found:
16618 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)
P0234 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2709 /min
Torque: 360.0 Nm
Speed: 118.0 km/h
Load: 72.5 %
Voltage: 14.44 V
Bin. Bits: 00101000
Absolute Pres.: 2315.4 mbar
Absolute Pres.: 2590.8 mbar

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but my car is suffering from the EXACT same problem.
When i accelerate a little hard (2800 - 3000 revs), after a few gear changes the car goes into limp mode and there is no power from the turbo at all until i pull over, switch off the engine, start the car back up, then its fine again until acceleration beyond 2800 revs.

Local driving its not too bad as i take it easy, but on motorway sometimes when speeding up to join on or over taking, causes a bit of bother
when car goes into limp mode.

Have had someone take a quick look and he suspects that a new turbo is needed.

I have a 55 reg audi a3 tdi s line DSG 140 bkd engine.

Any thoughts appreciated !

Remove turbo, clean & check for play, if no play refit & should be fine, depending where you are its a service we've done for people before.

Remove turbo, clean & check for play, if no play refit & should be fine, depending where you are its a service we've done for people before.

Thanks Nigel !

Im in Birmingham, I have a friend who is a mechanic so if I get the time will get him to check it out!

But thanks once again, appreciate it!