Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

S3 trolley jack lifting

Hey guys, as the title suggests I plan on jacking the S3 up with a trolley jack and hockey puck arrangement. I want to fit the spacers I've had sat in my house or months! I refuse to use the scissor jack after nearly losing my hand from my wrist when my M3 collapsed off one a while back. Very painful but also very lucky it wasn't worse.

Anyway, I know where to lift it from the sills but I've read that the S3 also has specific lifting points that the manual doesn't mention. I've found them under the car but I'm wondering do I have to remove the rotating caps before jacking up from that point? If so, how do I get them off? I've also read that these points are for 4 poster lifts and not to be used as a single lift point? Is this true?

If I have to use the sills hopefully the hockey puck will stop any damage to the skirts. I could maybe do with cutting a gutter in the puck to accommodate the sill a little better.

I have searched for answers before posting guys but haven't found a definitive answer yet. Any help would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Fossie

Status
    Ideally the lifting points you refer to are for 4 point lifts but if you just need to jack up high enough to take the wheel off then they will be fine. I have installed the rubber two piece jacking point available from Audi and used that successfully ( one wheel only ).

The rotating covers just lever off with a bit of effort. I posted a thread on here a couple of years ago showing photos. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: check out this thread with my pics in post #47 :-

Jacking Up An A3
    Last edited by mike foster; 21st August 2013 at 10:04.
    2006 2.0L BKD 140 Sportback RHD ( manual, with extra bits incl. mfsw ) Gone
    2012 2.0L TDI Q3 S Line Quattro

4th Gear

Status
    A good blog:-
    OOOO-A3

5th Gear

Status
    I've used the sills countless times and never had a problem, my jack does have quite a large 'saddle' so may distribute the weight better than the smaller types.

I never just leave it on the jack though, even when just changing wheels. Always use stands for peace of mind.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by leeds2592 View Post
    I've used the sills countless times and never had a problem, my jack does have quite a large 'saddle' so may distribute the weight better than the smaller types.

I never just leave it on the jack though, even when just changing wheels. Always use stands for peace of mind.
    Cheers Leeds. Silly question but if you have the trolley jack on the sills, where do you position the stands? I haven't really looked under there for a decent place.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    Ideally the lifting points you refer to are for 4 point lifts but if you just need to jack up high enough to take the wheel off then they will be fine. I have installed the rubber two piece jacking point available from Audi and used that successfully ( one wheel only ).

The rotating covers just lever off with a bit of effort. I posted a thread on here a couple of years ago showing photos. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: check out this thread with my pics in post #47 :-

Jacking Up An A3
    Cheers Mike. I actually read that thread last night when I was searching. Just used the trolley jack on the sills in the end to get wheels off. I'll give them a bash next time. Spacers fitted at last. Oil change next!!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiffi View Post
    Cheers Leeds. Silly question but if you have the trolley jack on the sills, where do you position the stands? I haven't really looked under there for a decent place.
    If you jack up from the front sill, you can get it high enough to lift the back wheel off the floor aswell. I then put a jack under the control arm mount and a jack on the rear sill. Then do the same for the other side is you need all four wheels off the ground. Pictures in this link may help.... Jack stand locations? - VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

If you are just putting on spacers, just do one side at a time.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

5th Gear

Status
    All you need is trolley jack with soft pad and a piece of wood placed were the wee arrow/ident is on the sill, per pic.
    Used this loads of time on the MK5 Golf and now my A3.

GTI_jacking_fBlkPlacement.jpg