A3 automatically locks

slizza786

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Whenever I unlock the car and it's idle for roughly 20 seconds the car automatically locks which gets abit annoying and my fear is if one day the keys are left inside the car and it automatically locks I'll be screwed. Is there a way to disable this or extend the timer?

I think there may be somat in vcds that can disable this , nhn may know what module will need modifying :)

Not sure if the timer can be extended but it can be disabled via VCDS.

Just looked at my DIS and it can be changed in there I think. Doors - Lock menu, assuming this is for what you are talking about.

Yh the doors just automatically lock. I'm not really sure with the terminology you guys are using, I'm still quite new to this sorry.

Whenever I unlock the car and it's idle for roughly 20 seconds the car automatically locks which gets abit annoying and my fear is if one day the keys are left inside the car and it automatically locks I'll be screwed. Is there a way to disable this or extend the timer?

Pretty sure it disables the auto-lock if you open and close the door, meaning that you can't lock your keys inside unless you re-lock it.

Reactions: Lima
Yh the doors just automatically lock. I'm not really sure with the terminology you guys are using, I'm still quite new to this sorry.

In short VCDS is a cable\software combination that lets you plug your laptop into the car's ODB2 port and change some coding\settings.
DIS is Driver Information System - the screen in the middle of your dash where you see MPG etc - there's some menu items that can be changed in there.

In short VCDS is a cable\software combination that lets you plug your laptop into the car's ODB2 port and change some coding\settings.
DIS is Driver Information System - the screen in the middle of your dash where you see MPG etc - there's some menu items that can be changed in there.

Thank you for that. Am I able to change the auto lock through the DIS?

Thank you for that. Am I able to change the auto lock through the DIS?

To be honest, I don't know! A3Kent suggested it's possible - try scrolling through the available options in the DIS using the buttons on the end of the indicator (or windscreen wiper) stalk. I imagine the ability to do this varies depending on the age of the car.

There is a Door then Lock setting in the DIS as I said before but i'm not sure whether this is for autolock when you reach a certain speed or whether it's for what you are talking about - worth testing.

so if you unlock your car open the door then close the door
the car still locks ?

Pretty sure it disables the auto-lock if you open and close the door, meaning that you can't lock your keys inside unless you re-lock it.

I agree with this.

However, if you unlock all the doors but only open the boot, I believe as soon as you close the boot all the doors will re-lock. So you could lock your keys in the boot, but if you open one of the main doors the car should remain unlocked until you either lock it yourself or hop in and drive off (assuming you have the lock doors in motion setting activated).

Yh if I leave one of the doors open the car stays open but if I leave the trunk open with all the doors closed the car will lock. Even if one of the windows are open and all the doors are closed the car will auto lock after 20ish seconds and it's just really annoying to have to unlock it with the key again

It's there so if you accidentally unlock it with the remote (say from in the house) and don't enter it, it will re-lock to stop it getting nicked. You can unlock the boot alone with the middle button with the car locked, then the boot re-locks when you close it.
A clever system if you ask me, especially if you have your hands full!

Also you cannot 'lock' the car with the drivers door open, but you CAN 'lock' the car with the passenger door open so that when its eventually closed the car locks itself fully (similar to the boot method), again very useful at times.. or not however you look at it! :think:

We found this out the hard way my partner was setting up the pram placed her keys and mobile in the boot with the car unlocked she then closed the boot without realising and then it locked luckily she was at my mums and was able to wait on me finishing work

Does the key have to be in the ignition? If I throw a key in the boot an close it it locks!

somebody i know unlocked their car, got in, put keys in ignition then realised he'd left his walet in the house so got out of the car & shut the door. The doors locked with his keys in the ignition & he only had the 1 key

Then it's faulty!

Reactions: hendry10
Yep as people are saying when its working properly it will auto lock the doors, after about 30 seconds, if you have unlocked and then not opened any doors (excludes boot).

On facelift models roughly 58 plate onwards you can change auto lock functions through the DIS by ticking or unticking options using the controls on the end of the wiper stalk.

Older models like my 08 prefacelift you need to use VCDS.

Also car should auto lock the doors once you start driving when you get to 15mph. This then helps prevent you getting car jacked at traffic lights etc.

Good systems that make good sense to me!

Last edited:
Also car should auto lock the doors once you start driving when you get to 15mph. This then helps prevent you getting car jacked at traffic lights etc.

Only if it's activated. Might have been disabled by a previous owner as mine was.

I tested the car today. I unlocked it, went inside then closed the doors with the keys in my hand and after 10-15 seconds the car automatically locked! This is really worrying as I can confirm that leaving the keys in the car by accident after unlocking the car and having all the doors closed will lock the car

I tested the car today. I unlocked it, went inside then closed the doors with the keys in my hand and after 10-15 seconds the car automatically locked! This is really worrying as I can confirm that leaving the keys in the car by accident after unlocking the car and having all the doors closed will lock the car

This definitely doesn't happen on my 61 plate! What years yours?

Does it have anything to do with the alarm buttons on the drivers door?

Does it have anything to do with the alarm buttons on the drivers door?

Thats to stop your alarm going off if you leave a moving object in the car i.e. dog or kids, you press it and lock the car and it disables the sensors inside