TTRS brakes on an S3 fitment guide - INC STD S3 WHEELS

JamesS4cab

Reaction score
Given the amount of people that have asked me to help with TTRS brakes and what wheels fit and what dont, i thought i would stick this up so hopefully it will help everyone.

As you know, I had 4 sets of 19's and below you can see what did and didnt fit over the Rs3 setup
  • 19" BBS CH ET50 8J - FAIL - even with a 11mm spacer. Would need 13mm or 14mm to clear.
  • 19" BE rotors - Et 43 - 8.5J - easy cleared. No spacers
  • 19" Speedline Spits - ET 48 - 8.5J - FAIL even with a 11mm spacer. Would need 13mm or 14mm to clear.
  • 19" MTM Bimotos - ET50 - 8.5J - easy cleared. No spacers
Std 18" S3 alloys (the earlier shape ones) - FAIL - even with an 11mm spacer - wheel was tight with the caliper. I therefore added a 3mm shim to see if it fitted and it does. There isn't a great deal of clearence and i wouldnt drop to 13mm overall as i wouldnt be comfortable with that.

THE ONE KEY POINT TO NOTE IS THAT YOU CANNOT HAVE WHEEL WEIGHTS ON THE OUTSIDE EDGE ON THE INNER BARREL AS THEY SIMPLE WILL NOT CLEAR THE CALLIPER. THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM IF YOU DONT HAVE A PAIR WHEELS WITH NO WEIGHT.

When I turned the wheel, the weights jammed on the caliper - end of. No go.

Overall fitment with 14mm spacer/shim combo is good - wheels don't run on the arches even with 25mm H&R lowering springs and they are pretty much flush.

I'm not smart enought to calculate what offset/width combo does and doesnt fit as i think its more to do with the design and shape of the rear of the wheels. But i could be wrong.......

Hope this helps people.

Reactions: Dean_T
Given the amount of people that have asked me to help with TTRS brakes and what wheels fit and what dont, i thought i would stick this up so hopefully it will help everyone.

As you know, I had 4 sets of 19's and below you can see what did and didnt fit over the Rs3 setup
  • 19" BBS CH ET50 8J - FAIL - even with a 11mm spacer. Would need 13mm or 14mm to clear.
  • 19" BE rotors - Et 43 - 8.5J - easy cleared. No spacers
  • 19" Speedline Spits - ET 48 - 8.5J - FAIL even with a 11mm spacer. Would need 13mm or 14mm to clear.
  • 19" MTM Bimotos - ET50 - 8.5J - easy cleared. No spacers
Std 18" S3 alloys (the earlier shape ones) - FAIL - even with an 11mm spacer - wheel was tight with the caliper. I therefore added a 3mm shim to see if it fitted and it does. There isn't a great deal of clearence and i wouldnt drop to 13mm overall as i wouldnt be comfortable with that.

THE ONE KEY POINT TO NOTE IS THAT YOU CANNOT HAVE WHEEL WEIGHTS ON THE OUTSIDE EDGE ON THE INNER BARREL AS THEY SIMPLE WILL NOT CLEAR THE CALLIPER. THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM IF YOU DONT HAVE A PAIR WHEELS WITH NO WEIGHT.

When I turned the wheel, the weights jammed on the caliper - end of. No go.

Overall fitment with 14mm spacer/shim combo is good - wheels don't run on the arches even with 25mm H&R lowering springs and they are pretty much flush.

I'm not smart enought to calculate what offset/width combo does and doesnt fit as i think its more to do with the design and shape of the rear of the wheels. But i could be wrong.......

Hope this helps people.

Hi James,

I've just been through the whole trial & error side of fitting the TTRS setup. I polished up the discs and just had to have them on! Long story short there are no 18" OE wheels that will fit. The rotors will clear but only with a 14mm spacer which is just not feasible. Funnily enough though 18" replica rotors fit with a 5mm spacer! I had to go 18" as I just bought 4 new tyres and am a little unsure about 19's on the A3 platform.

In the end I went for the lightweight 18x8 ET45 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's. Great wheel being strong and light, sounds like a bell when you clang them! Just like OE. Designed to accommodate big brakes to start with they were an easy fitment, actually cleared with no spacer but opted for a 5mm hubcentric to be safe. A 3mm would have done it easily but I had the 5's to hand.

Anyway, just a quick question regarding the brake lines. Did you opt for the correct OE lines or straighten out the S3 ones? I'm a little torn at the moment for which to go for as the right ones are expensive. I take it you just straighten out the first very acute bend until it all fits?!

Thanks!

Hi James,

I've just been through the whole trial & error side of fitting the TTRS setup. I polished up the discs and just had to have them on! Long story short there are no 18" OE wheels that will fit. The rotors will clear but only with a 14mm spacer which is just not feasible. Funnily enough though 18" replica rotors fit with a 5mm spacer! I had to go 18" as I just bought 4 new tyres and am a little unsure about 19's on the A3 platform.

In the end I went for the lightweight 18x8 ET45 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's. Great wheel being strong and light, sounds like a bell when you clang them! Just like OE. Designed to accommodate big brakes to start with they were an easy fitment, actually cleared with no spacer but opted for a 5mm hubcentric to be safe. A 3mm would have done it easily but I had the 5's to hand.

Anyway, just a quick question regarding the brake lines. Did you opt for the correct OE lines or straighten out the S3 ones? I'm a little torn at the moment for which to go for as the right ones are expensive. I take it you just straighten out the first very acute bend until it all fits?!

Thanks!
my mechanic made oem s3 lines to fit. i think they need to bend slightly for corect fitment. that's whats done to mine.
also my oem facelift wheels clear the brakes with 12mm spacers that i had on for ages, and there is about 5-6 mm clearance due to spoke design.
here's pic of mine setup:

are people confusing the ttrs and rs3 disks here? i heard that ttrs fit wth bit of spacing with old style oem wheels where as rs3 disks need crazy spacers?

are people confusing the ttrs and rs3 disks here? i heard that ttrs fit wth bit of spacing with old style oem wheels where as rs3 disks need crazy spacers?

Im talking spacing the wheel from the disc to clear the caliper. I think you mean spacing the disc from the back to essentially reduce the offset. The RS3 has different hubs & bearings to the S3 which suit a bigger offset disc which won't line up with the caliper when fitted. No idea why the TT set up was designed differently but it's the same set up as an S3 which is why the TTRS kit bolts straight on.

I've seen the standard facelift 10 spokes fitted over the TTRS set up before down at statllers in Sheffield. IMO a 24mm track increase is just too much for the tolerance of the ackermann steering geometry, not to mention the extended load on the wheel bearings.

it's like fitting the wheels with lower offset. doubt that makes much difference. i've been driving with spacers on the front for ages now...

Im talking spacing the wheel from the disc to clear the caliper. I think you mean spacing the disc from the back to essentially reduce the offset. The RS3 has different hubs & bearings to the S3 which suit a bigger offset disc which won't line up with the caliper when fitted. No idea why the TT set up was designed differently but it's the same set up as an S3 which is why the TTRS kit bolts straight on.

I've seen the standard facelift 10 spokes fitted over the TTRS set up before down at statllers in Sheffield. IMO a 24mm track increase is just too much for the tolerance of the ackermann steering geometry, not to mention the extended load on the wheel bearings.

To combat this, would it not be recommended to increase to a 8/8.5 inch wheel with a smaller offset to clear the calipers, instead of using spacers? Even though you are increasing the track, with the width of the new rim being larger sitting at the same inset, I assume that there would not be any increased load to the bearings and only a slightly increase on load of the steering geometry?

:uhm: hmmmm i dont know what to do. want said brakes, dont want to change wheels till atleast after christmas, spacers cost a good bit to. ma disks are lipping aswell and really could do with changing but imo would be a waste as not wanting to keep them long hmmmm

To combat this, would it not be recommended to increase to a 8/8.5 inch wheel with a smaller offset to clear the calipers, instead of using spacers? Even though you are increasing the track, with the width of the new rim being larger sitting at the same inset, I assume that there would not be any increased load to the bearings and only a slightly increase on load of the steering geometry?

It's a fair point yes. The wheels I went for were 18x8 ET45 which are actually already pretty close to touching the suspension leg. From my experience in the quest for wheels, 18" ones anyway, it was more the shape of the spokes and the shape on the inner part of the wheel where the caliper runs that was the issue. As I said the wheels I have actually fit with no spacer but only leave a playing card gap from the inner edge of the caliper so I opted for the spacers for safety more than anything. If you went for a lower offset I think this would reduce the swooping angle of the spokes which defeats the object? I'm no pro on wheels which is why I went the trial and error route! (3 sets of wheels later!!!)

:uhm: hmmmm i dont know what to do. want said brakes, dont want to change wheels till atleast after christmas, spacers cost a good bit to. ma disks are lipping aswell and really could do with changing but imo would be a waste as not wanting to keep them long hmmmm

I did it because the car is now running just over 360bhp and the brake fade was becoming much worse on hard runs. I also did it because they look the dogs, especially after I mirror polished the disc inners! I wouldn't swap them simply for that lol! I do have a spare pair of calipers though if anyone requires!!

It's a fair point yes. The wheels I went for were 18x8 ET45 which are actually already pretty close to touching the suspension leg. From my experience in the quest for wheels, 18" ones anyway, it was more the shape of the spokes and the shape on the inner part of the wheel where the caliper runs that was the issue. As I said the wheels I have actually fit with no spacer but only leave a playing card gap from the inner edge of the caliper so I opted for the spacers for safety more than anything. If you went for a lower offset I think this would reduce the swooping angle of the spokes which defeats the object? I'm no pro on wheels which is why I went the trial and error route! (3 sets of wheels later!!!)

Yeah I know exactly what you mean... more the shape of the spoke design that really causes the issue.. not so much on a larger wheel though, because any wheel with a smaller offset usually allows for the spoke to sweep to the outer edge of the rim, unless they are deepdish of course... 18's would cause issues with the inner rim, 19's not so much....

Yeah I know exactly what you mean... more the shape of the spoke design that really causes the issue.. not so much on a larger wheel though, because any wheel with a smaller offset usually allows for the spoke to sweep to the outer edge of the rim, unless they are deepdish of course... 18's would cause issues with the inner rim, 19's not so much....

Yeah exactly. The majority of 19" wheels fit. I did fancy the 19" rotors but I had 4 brand new p-zeros to use up which dictated 18". Still have a set of 18" genuine rotors I bought that sadly didn't fit. Couldn't get them to fit at all, even with a huge spacer the shape of the inner dish touched the face of the caliper. I could have milled a flat face on the calipers where they touched but in the end I felt the right route was the TD 1.2 pro race wheels. Heard nothing but good things for quality and clearance with big brake setups. I can't praise them enough, such great quality and strength as well as saving me a couple of kilos per corner, they literally weigh nothing (8kg).

that must have cost a bit eh badger :p

I wouldn't like to have an add up but on the plus side I've given below market value for the majority of items bought for the car. I like shopping around for bargains!

Yeah exactly. The majority of 19" wheels fit. I did fancy the 19" rotors but I had 4 brand new p-zeros to use up which dictated 18". Still have a set of 18" genuine rotors I bought that sadly didn't fit. Couldn't get them to fit at all, even with a huge spacer the shape of the inner dish touched the face of the caliper. I could have milled a flat face on the calipers where they touched but in the end I felt the right route was the TD 1.2 pro race wheels. Heard nothing but good things for quality and clearance with big brake setups. I can't praise them enough, such great quality and strength as well as saving me a couple of kilos per corner, they literally weigh nothing (8kg).

and saving you a fortune on tyres :)

Nice work jamesS4cab.

Can anyone offer an opinion on whether OEM RS3 rotors will fit (19" 8j ET50) around TTRS disk and caliper setup? I note jamesS4cab says he's tried BBS with same specs which don't fit.

Nice work jamesS4cab.

Can anyone offer an opinion on whether OEM RS3 rotors will fit (19" 8j ET50) around TTRS disk and caliper setup? I note jamesS4cab says he's tried BBS with same specs which don't fit.

well... they are rs3 brakes, and rs3 wheels :drag:

well... they are rs3 brakes, and rs3 wheels :drag:

Well..... they are TTRS brakes and RS3 wheels. RS3 brakes as per earlier post don't fit the S3 hub while TTRS brakes bolt straight on.

Well..... they are TTRS brakes and RS3 wheels. RS3 brakes as per earlier post don't fit the S3 hub while TTRS brakes bolt straight on.

I'm pretty sure the hubs the same offset though.. and I dont think there will be any issues with 19's... are 19's not the upgraded RS3 wheel?

are 19's not the upgraded RS3 wheel?
Not sure what you mean "upgraded"? I have standard OEM RS3 rotor wheels (19" ET50).

Also I'm a bit confused with the OP's first post as the subject is "TTRS brakes on an S3 fitment guide" but first line says RS3 not TTRS - "As you know, I had 4 sets of 19's and below you can see what did and didnt fit over the Rs3 setup"

Bottom line is will these fit my S3? - Original Audi TTRS RS3 Golf GTI R32 Brembo Bremse Bremssattel+Beläge+Scheiben | eBay

Not sure what you mean "upgraded"? I have standard OEM RS3 rotor wheels (19" ET50).

Also I'm a bit confused with the OP's first post as the subject is "TTRS brakes on an S3 fitment guide" but first line says RS3 not TTRS - "As you know, I had 4 sets of 19's and below you can see what did and didnt fit over the Rs3 setup"

Bottom line is will these fit my S3? - Original Audi TTRS RS3 Golf GTI R32 Brembo Bremse Bremssattel+Beläge+Scheiben | eBay
mate that's ttrs setup. 8j0 part numbers are from ttrs. that's whats on my car right now. so it should fit.
rs3 discs are part number with 8p0.

mate that's ttrs setup. 8j0 part numbers are from ttrs. that's whats on my car right now. so it should fit.
rs3 discs are part number with 8p0.

If you look at the picture, the p/n number on the disc is actually 8P0!! Buyer beware eh!

Ah soo. Was looking on the phone so didn't see no. On the pic., description says 8j0 so i was going by that.
You can always contact seller and ask him the part no. Of the parts, as those might not be the actual pics.

Ahhh just re-read your comment... its the 8.5j 19's thats the optional upgrade for the Rs3.... well the BBS CH's are the same size and it looked liked he had issues with them...

Last edited:
^ no issues with them u mean?

Edited... wrong wheels... ha

What I meant was that the BBS CH's are the same size and fitment as the RS3 wheels, but it looks like they did not work... but the Rotors might have a different spoke dimension... but reading the original post again.. i'm also a little confused as to what caliper setup this is actually for?

Last edited:
Doea anyone know if TTRs BBK will fit bbs 19 ck with et45?

+1 for TD Pro Race 1.2 It's what I have on mine over the TTRS BBK setup too. Great wheels and I think the Multi-spoke look works great on the S3 8P IMHO.

Can confirm that any 19" rotors should fit with no problems. The a4 BE ones i had had well over 1" of clearance due to the shape of the rear of the blades. Even the 18's i tried would have fitted from the rear of the blades to the face of the caliper. The piece, as i think badger says is the barrel of the wheel catching on the front of the caliper.

The Rs3 discs will fit but you will need a bracket for the caliper carrier to line up with the disc as the offset of the bell is different to the TTRS. The discs I am using have a part number of 8J and fit with no problems and no messing about with brackets for the carriers. Straight fit - (other than adjusting the std S3 lines a tad).

TD's 1.2 18's are fine - as long as if you need to balance the wheel with any outer lip weight, this is done in the centre of the barrel - the same as std s3 8P1 and 2's as i have tried all of the above as well. If you try and balance to the outside of the rim (as in the outside of the barrel behind the spokes, the weights will catch on the caliper and simply rip off. Been there - done that!

BBS CH-R 8,5J x 19 with ET40, not fit, need 3-4mm spacer.

Last edited:
At my brand new BBS CH-R 8,5j x 19 ET40 with 225/35 tire the clearance fixed using 5mm spacer, I think 4mm should be enough. I hope it woudn't be rub. It looks very similar to my BBS CH 18"x8 ET50 + 13mm spacer at front. No rubbing issue as well.
cly8.jpg

0jcd.jpg

yab2.jpg

je0k.jpg

s8rf.jpg

ebpr.jpg

hz1r.jpg

salp.jpg

985n.jpg

g1tn.jpg

qisg.jpg

qy7t.jpg

i90p.jpg

ecey.jpg

8whj.jpg

wb1a.jpg

Hi I'm new to this site. Recently bought an s3 and done my homework and bought some brakes from a ttrs. Busy looking for some 19inch wheels as my facelift 18s need a 12mm spacer and worried about weights on wheels catching in future when tyres need changing.

Seen some 19inch rotors for sale 19x8.5J ET45.

Anyone know if these would fit?

Those with TTRS/RS3 calipers what pads are you using?

I need to decide if I stick to Brembo pads with anti-squeal or go for something like Pagid blue.

I currently have standard pads. Was going to go for yellow stuff as seen Revolutions write up on them on their rs3. Still undecided though, I may go for some brembo pads I've seen.

I no its a old thread Im running 9.5j on the front of my Audi a3 2004 will the rs3 fit easier w ity wider wheel and less offset ?
Et30

it should? how can you run 9.5j with et30 on a3? did you do something with fenders?

Well I trial fitted my TTRS calipers today, the caliper was scraping the inside of the wheel at points so my wheels must be bent! Cleared the spokes no problem with an 11mm spacer.

Does anyone know if 18" BBS CH wheels will clear the back of the caliper?