EM TuningBadger5
    Neutral

Status

Help with Aerial problems.

I have recently replaced my concert head unit in my 2006 A3 with an aftermarket kenwood unit. The problem i am having is the rear speakers seem a little quiet, and the radio reception is rubbish! Every thread on here points towards an aerial booster adaper which i already have installed, so I am looking for a little extra help.

I have currently installed:
    Harness PC9-401 (I believe my system is half amped, although this harness leaves the rear speakers very quiet and a little crackly.)

and Aerial adapter PC5-137 (This uses the Fakra connection but leaves me unsure what to do with the ISO aerial connection, if anything?)

I have managed to overcome the volume difference in the front and rear speakers using the channel balancing feature, reducing the volume in the fronts, and using a slightly rear biased fader setting, but doesnt eliminate the slight crackle.

The aerial adapter I have tried connecting the blue remote wire to the amp remote, and a 12v feed, which both give poor results.

Have I missed anything? or is there anything i can try/check?

I don't normally listen to the radio other than for the odd traffic report, but having thought i wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there, It's getting kind of annoying!

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    I think NHN will be able to answer this David. You coming to the meet on the 31st?
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

Neutral

Status
    I hope so, It's getting annoying!

What sort of time will things be happening? I'll no doubt be working until 6, so if it will be a daytime thing i probably wont make it

Neutral

Status
    Anybody got any ideas? I've tried everything I can think of!

2nd Gear

Status
    I know what's wrong, but not the answer sadly. As I understand it, the Fakra connection is simply to help the audi head unit decide which of the diversity aerials has the strongest signal - and the actual signal is piped down the ISO so you really need both - but not sure if there's an adapter that caters for that. I went DAB with a screen mounted aerial instead. The quiet rears was a problem I also had, caused by the fact that the front output from my replacement HU was so much louder and clearer. All I could do was "stagger" the F-R fade with a rear bias to balance it out. If your HU has a setting for the output level from pre-amp, you could try jacking that up a bit.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    I know what's wrong, but not the answer sadly. As I understand it, the Fakra connection is simply to help the audi head unit decide which of the diversity aerials has the strongest signal - and the actual signal is piped down the ISO so you really need both - but not sure if there's an adapter that caters for that. I went DAB with a screen mounted aerial instead. The quiet rears was a problem I also had, caused by the fact that the front output from my replacement HU was so much louder and clearer. All I could do was "stagger" the F-R fade with a rear bias to balance it out. If your HU has a setting for the output level from pre-amp, you could try jacking that up a bit.
    I know there is a dual Fakra adapter which could be fitted with a few other adapters, but i don't think it would help as the kenwood unit won't differentiate between aerials i assume...?

There is a channel adjustment option on the headunit so i have the fronts reduced to -8dB and a little rear bias from the fadar to even it out, but the crackle is still audible when music is turned down.