Bluetooth Phonebook Not Downloading To Car Display

pz1982

Fighting the spending urges
Reaction score
I have had my 2009 facelift for 3 months now. Since I got it I have had an issue of my phone book being unable to download to the display on the dash. The car has been back to main dealers twice for this issue and no fault could be found with the car. The Bluetooth features worked as in I could answer a call by pressing the button on the mfsw and I could dial numbers on my phone but I could not access the phone book via the mfsw. I followed all the recommended suggestions to rectify this issue:

1. Make sure that you pair the phone to the Bluetooth within 30 seconds of finding the built in Audi Bluetooth (default pairing pin 1234) .
2. Make sure that phone network setting is set to GSM.
3. Make sure that your contacts are saved to the phones memory.
4. Restart the phone, delete the pairing with the car and re pair again.

I tried all the above processes so many times and I was still getting "please wait" coming up on the dash and no numbers downloading to the phone book.

I tried three different android phones on the car
HTC one
HTC desire HD
Samsung galaxy s3

I then tried my friends iPhone and it downloaded the phone book within seconds. To cut a very long story short I think there is some sort of problem with the Bluetooth protocol on android phones that hampers the phone book downloading to the car. I have now resolved the issue by downloading an app called Bluetooth phonebook from the play store to my phones and they all download the phone book to the car with no further issues. Best £1.20 I have ever spent. Hope this helps you if your having the same issues.

Works perfectly for me & have used loads of handsets using droid, also used loads with different fw's, beta's included, so as long as you have allowed the contact request that pops up on your handset, then I would check the unit & maybe refresh the coding, disconnect the unit & last option swap out for latest if all else fails.

Works perfectly for me & have used loads of handsets using droid, also used loads with different fw's, beta's included, so as long as you have allowed the contact request that pops up on your handset, then I would check the unit & maybe refresh the coding, disconnect the unit & last option swap out for latest if all else fails.

Must just be my luck then. I'm really considering changing my middle name to "lucky" lol. Danny had a look at some stuff for me when he did my cruise control the other day and could not see any faults with the unit, although I don't know the ins and outs of what was checked.

What version of droid is your handset using & did you allow contact interaction when prompted, if not then the handset will not share the lists.

Yep definitely allowed all the permissions and interactions for the phone book to be sent over.
HTC one: 4.2.2
Desire HD: custom ROM 2.3.5
Samsung s3: 4.1.2

I thought this might be a common issue as some of the droid forums mention Bluetooth problems but with other cars.

Nope, shouldn't be an issue, as I have an S3 atm & has worked fine on all releases including current beta 4.2.2.

Remove all existing pairs from handset, so no bt pairs exist for any device, turn of bt, turn of handset, remove battery, push power button to drain any existing residual, then reinsert battery, start phone, start bt, search & pair again, allow contact interaction, then wait, remember large lists take a while to pop up on the dis.

Will try It all again later on the s3 and let you know how I get on. As far as I can remember I tried all the above several times. Maybe I missed a step out of sheer frustration haha