Alternative diagnostic software

T3KT0N1K

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I could really do with a copy VAGCOM or VCDS, but I can't afford it, so I'm considering buying a wireless OBD-II dongle and compatible iOS app, for the purposes of diagnosing errors that prompt instrument display fault lights (primarily), and live telemetry (secondarily). Question is, do any of you use alternative software/apps? If so, which? I'm looking for recommendations from those who have had the opportunity to compare multiple pieces of software and hardware, focusing solely on iOS and/or OS X compatible software.

Thanks in advance.

FYI, my reasons for needing the software are that I wish to query my Haldex controller but, more importantly, my girlfriends Mk4 1.8T Golf (AUM) is displaying an engine warning signal. I'm 99% certain it'll be related to the temporary breather hose replacement I performed a few weeks back (which I believe is of a narrowed internal dimension to that of the OEM pipe), but engine performance has decreased significantly recently. More so than I expected from this temp bodge.

Cheap android phone and an elm 327 of ebay and the torque app is enough for most.

Cheap android phone and an elm 327 of ebay and the torque app is enough for most.

Sorry, but Android is the digital devil. Besides, the objective here is to save money. Can't see myself affording that little shopping list.

The wireless dongles etc that are on eBay will only use the OBD-II protocol. Which means that you will only be able to read basic Emissions related fault codes (I.e.- Good for getting basic engine/emission related codes from your girlfirends car, but won't even touch the Haldex controller on your car)

If you are really that strapped for cash then you can get a cheap VCDS copy cable from eBay for less and run VCDS Lite. VCDS Lite doesn't give you full capability though (E.g. Can't code ECU's/not all logging blocks are available/not all fault code descriptions available).

The above reason is why I always would go for a genuine VCDS cable.

Sorry, but Android is the digital devil. Besides, the objective here is to save money. Can't see myself affording that little shopping list.
As lewis said they are nothing like vcds.
But it can be all had for less than £40 i'd of said.Phone £30 elm £7 ish and Torque app £3

Lol this is my facebook avatar lol http://a1decals.com/wp-content/uploads/android-*******-on-apple-limegr-n-1024x1024.jpeg

Just get someone to read the cars for you locally.