Tyres

Dan Hobley

Reaction score
Hi all,

its been a while, just back for some advice while at work at the mo ref tyres.
when I bought my 07 a3 sline 3 door, it had Michelin pilot sport 2s. I have since had the fronts replaced with sport 3s after wear out of the sp2s. The 3s have last all of 8 months and were today highlighted in the MOT has needing replacement. The sp2s are still on the rear and outlasted both front sets so far.

any ideas of what tyres to get? Brand, size etc? Looking to go from 225 to 215 for some tyre stretch.
i got the sport 3s both fronts fitted and balanced at a grand total if £220

many thanks

Dan

Check out cam skills I just got 4 new eagle f1s at a good price, I used to have continentals on my Vxr n lasted for ages, but I read the new sport 5s (I think that's the new ones ) were not as good,

Bought the ps3 last time but just noticed the ps2 is actually a better tyre? I thought the 3 would Be better?
got a few brands/tyres in mind and struggling to choose lol:

michelin pilot sports 2
goodyear eagle f1
nankang ns2-r and
pirelli p zero Nero

looking at staying with the standard fitment of 225/40/R18 or lowering the profile to 35...tyre price obv increases with that.

suggestions peeps ..... :)

thanks muchly

My car came with the Bridgestone Potenza tyres which I though were decent but did seem to wear a bit quick I then replaced them with Vredstien Ultrac Sessanta and had Falken 453's as well. Both seem decent enough now and have covered 17000 on them and tyre still got plenty tread left.

I had michelin PS2's on my old TT and thought they were very noisy and replaced them with nankang (can't remember exact ones) and they were so much better

Just bought full set of Avon ZZ3's (2nd set) off Camskill for good money. Free fitting from my mate but I highly recommend them. Afew people like to buy premium tyres as they are what they are......the ZZ3's canned afew big brands and I prefer them to Contis and Bridgestones. They have about 3-4 mm tread left after 15,000 miles but changing as my S3 19" BBS's are getting powder coated again next week.

Bought the ps3 last time but just noticed the ps2 is actually a better tyre? I thought the 3 would Be better?
got a few brands/tyres in mind and struggling to choose lol:

michelin pilot sports 2
goodyear eagle f1
nankang ns2-r and
pirelli p zero Nero

looking at staying with the standard fitment of 225/40/R18 or lowering the profile to 35...tyre price obv increases with that.

suggestions peeps ..... :)

thanks muchly

Hi Dan,

I've probably tried most of the current choices by now with the exception of the Contis.

Here's my 5p's worth...

Goodyear F1s.....excellent grip all round,but high wear rate.

Michelin PS2 and 3....very nearly as good in the dry as the F1's but better in the wet,and much better wear(i.e.last longer).

Bridgestone RE050.....awful....poor overall grip,and awful in the wet.

Nankang.....don't hobble a premium car with non-premium tyres.

The best by far so far has been the Michelin Supersport which for a near track tyre,makes a superb road tyre what works,wet or dry.

Reactions: MrBones
By the looks of it and from experience of already driven on the ps2's, I shall either be ordering a full set of 2's or the super sports. I have just come to read that the 3's aren't a replacement of the 2's but of a lesser model. The 2's are being replaced by the super sports.

thanks for the replies so far guys :)

By the looks of it and from experience of already driven on the ps2's, I shall either be ordering a full set of 2's or the super sports. I have just come to read that the 3's aren't a replacement of the 2's but of a lesser model. The 2's are being replaced by the super sports.

thanks for the replies so far guys :)

PS2 and 3's are surprisingly close in terms of performance,but the Supersports are way better.

Almost trackday performance,but work well in the wet also,and cope well with the sort of torque mine turns out.

I really rate hankook evo v12's had them on my Leon 1M. Superb tyre in the dry and wet.

Thanks Alex,

another tyre (just putting it out there) is the Dunlop sport maxx rt.....
has good fuel rating (c) and wet rating (a) which isn't half bad...any experiences with these?

im pretty much decided on the super sport but one last check/opinion request :jester:

Thanks Alex,

another tyre (just putting it out there) is the Dunlop sport maxx rt.....
has good fuel rating (c) and wet rating (a) which isn't half bad...any experiences with these?

im pretty much decided on the super sport but one last check/opinion request :jester:

I don't know that one....one of the few I haven't tried!

Reactions: Dan Hobley