Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: S3 full car plastidip

1st Gear

Status

S3 full car plastidip

So I'm plastidipping my black s3 white, however I'm going to go from black - gunmetal gray - white to get better coverage and a crisper white, this is being done using an earlex 3500 with standard 2.0mm tip and needle

So here is stage one, full gray dip

Before:

After:

white dip to come in the next week
    Lima, S3_Jacko, Jonathaan and 1 others like this.
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

2. # ADS
    ADS

Diesel Power!

Status
    Very nice job, how many litres did you use on base coat and how many you plan to use on full colour?

Im also planning on doing my car either Matt Blue or Matt Black.
    Black Audi A3 8P 2.0TDi

V-Maxx Coil overs | S3 Rear Spoiler | De Wiperd | TTRS Alloys | S3 Rear Bumper | S3 Side Skirts | Votex Front Spoiler | LED Ring in Fogs | LED Interior Lights | LED Number plate lights | Custom Foot well lights | DPF Removed | Green Cotton P/F | JBS Phase 2 | Pressed Plates | LED Side lights | Custom Rear Light tint | Complete Matt Black Plasti Dip | Honey Comb Front Grill | Silvertec Indicators | BOSE | Sunroof | Forge Short Shift

2nd Gear

Status
    Very nice, I'm planning to do this for a very long time, how many liters for 4 coats full car should be needed if you know? thanks
    A3 8P 2.0TDI 140 Sport | Blue | Full Leather Heated Seat | BOSE | 6 Disc Changer | None Smoking Pack | | Nav | Xenons |
    Mods | 18" Rotiform Staggered | Tinted Windows | S3 Spoiler | 2009 S-Line t Rear | Front Chin Spoiler | Wind Deflectors | Re-Map |
    | MY11 Lights | S3 Side Skirts | Private Number Plate | Milltek Exhaust | S Line Gear knob

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks. I used only 3 coats on there and it was around 3.5 litres (50:50 mix), I've bought 10 litres of white premix as it will need over 5 coats to give a good white even with the light gray base. if you plan to dip black then it will cover anything with 2-3 coats however you want to do more to make it hardwearing and so it will come off easier and peel in large pieces, if I was staying gray I would have given it another 2 coats probably
    S3-Sandy likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    What's the deal with this stuff? Excuse my ignorance how long does it last, how does it come off and what if anything does it do to paintwork?
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI S-Line Quattro Stage 1 Tune it up - Lowestoft Custom Remap- 6187 RPM developing 260 bhp 279lbs ft Akoya Silver, Roof rails, Black heated Vienna Leather, Bose upgrade, Bluetooth

Neutral

Status
    Ouch! That thing looks so good it stings my eyes!

What's this plastidip you speak of and how much does it cost to get done?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTheBoss View Post
    Very nice, I'm planning to do this for a very long time, how many liters for 4 coats full car should be needed if you know? thanks
    I think if you bought 5 litres if premix it would be enough for 4 coats but it depends on the car size and how heavily you spray it on, basically in gray I did 3 full coats then after it was dry I peeled a full rear quarter (I messed up a bit whilst peeling overspray) and redid the three coats on this area and I've still a little left out of the 5 litres

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by OVRA3 View Post
    What's the deal with this stuff? Excuse my ignorance how long does it last, how does it come off and what if anything does it do to paintwork?
    Quote Originally Posted by T3KT0N1K View Post
    Ouch! That thing looks so good it stings my eyes!

What's this plastidip you speak of and how much does it cost to get done?
    Okay, according to the vast community of the web it can last years if looked after, it will literally peel of almost like a rubbery vinyl wrap and provided you use the correct thinners will leave your paintwork perfect underneath, essentially it sprays on like paint ( only more forgiving) and dries like rubber, there's many areas you don't need to mask whilst spraying ( lights, windows etc) then just peel it off when dry, if you put enough on then it will come away in one large sheet
    JudderMan likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    That's pretty cool, so how long did the prep and the spray take then? Do you have to just mask or take bits off? Looking at the front of yours looks like you got right in where the grills are etc.. Is this something anyone can do or does it take skills and practice?
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI S-Line Quattro Stage 1 Tune it up - Lowestoft Custom Remap- 6187 RPM developing 260 bhp 279lbs ft Akoya Silver, Roof rails, Black heated Vienna Leather, Bose upgrade, Bluetooth

1st Gear

Status
    dip costs around 70 notes for 5 litres depending on where you buy and if you mix yourself or buy premix, but then you need a sprayer etc, the earlex 3500 is highly regarded for plastidip and cost £80 from Argos

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by OVRA3 View Post
    That's pretty cool, so how long did the prep and the spray take then? Do you have to just mask or take bits off? Looking at the front of yours looks like you got right in where the grills are etc.. Is this something anyone can do or does it take skills and practice?
    I did mask off the fog light grills however the right one came exposed part way through :0 I haven't got round to picking it off the honeycomb yet lol! the masking probably took an hour ( I'm rubbish at it) and the spraying took only 5 mins a coat, getting the overspray off took a while because if its not thick it won't peel, you have to rub the speckley bits off with a cloth

2nd Gear

Status
    hmmmm tempting, you get a type of lacqure for it so it dont chip as easy? because i can imagine stone chip central with it, also what about waxing etc, does this wear it?

07 170 DSG

Status
    I like it in primer
    JamesS4cab likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    well apparently it doesn't stone chip, because it's like rubber they bounce off, I hear people use clear plastidip as protection for there front end, besides if it did chip you could just peel it off say the bonnet and spray it again, also yes it does look like primer lol

5th Gear

Status
    Certainly looks good! Well impressed

5th Gear

Status
    You won't however be able to post in the reflection thread :-p
    nezz likes this.

Neutral

Status
    How do you get bird **** off?

1st Gear

Status
    You an get glossifier to spray over it to give a shine although I didn't know there was a reflection thread! An well I've still got some of these pics

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtaylor View Post
    How do you get bird **** off?

Wipe it off, wash it off whatever you usually would do

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by R34nel View Post
    Wipe it off, wash it off whatever you usually would do
    will it not damage the plastidip?
    It looks pretty cool, hats off to you.

2nd Gear

Status
    So excited about this! Maybe matte neon blue instead of white?
    Brilliant Black 61 Plate A3 1.6 TDI

Mods: S3 BE 5 Spoke Rotor Wheels with Goodyear EfficientGrip
    , AppRadio 2, 80% tints, Diamond Vision Headlights

Neutral

Status
    this will give everyone an idea of how this stuff works... looks really easy

JudderMan likes this.
    2002 Audi S3
    Ming Blue
    "Gasses go into the turbocharger and spins it... witchcraft happens and you go faster" - Jeremy Clarkson

Neutral

Status
    this one shows you how to remove it

2002 Audi S3
    Ming Blue
    "Gasses go into the turbocharger and spins it... witchcraft happens and you go faster" - Jeremy Clarkson

2nd Gear

Status
    i would make sure you have a perfect car no paint damage ect as i had a mate who has his fabia done and dident like it pulled it off and it pretty much ruined the lacquer, pulled big bits off !

2nd Gear

Status
    I did mask off the fog light grills however the right one came exposed part way through :0 I haven't got round to picking it off the honeycomb yet lol! the masking probably took an hour ( I'm rubbish at it) and the spraying took only 5 mins a coat, getting the overspray off took a while because if its not thick it won't peel, you have to rub the speckley bits off with a cloth
    I

Ya can pop the fog light grills out easy mate

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_sid View Post
    i would make sure you have a perfect car no paint damage ect as i had a mate who has his fabia done and dident like it pulled it off and it pretty much ruined the lacquer, pulled big bits off !
    Mine is in tidy condition

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by turbonutz View Post
    I

Ya can pop the fog light grills out easy mate
    Can I? how do they come out?

2nd Gear

Status
    dip costs around 70 notes for 5 litres depending on where you buy and if you mix yourself or buy premix, but then you need a sprayer etc, the earlex 3500 is highly regarded for plastidip and cost £80 from Argos
    R34nel, where did you buy yours? plastidip.co.uk is always out of stock in Blue and the price for 5 liters is £80.
    A3 8P 2.0TDI 140 Sport | Blue | Full Leather Heated Seat | BOSE | 6 Disc Changer | None Smoking Pack | | Nav | Xenons |
    Mods | 18" Rotiform Staggered | Tinted Windows | S3 Spoiler | 2009 S-Line t Rear | Front Chin Spoiler | Wind Deflectors | Re-Map |
    | MY11 Lights | S3 Side Skirts | Private Number Plate | Milltek Exhaust | S Line Gear knob

1st Gear

Status
    Matt-pack.co.uk

There's lots of advise on there and the prices are better than plastidip uk.

It's all genuine stuff and they also spray cars them selfs if you prefer although it will cost a bit more than doing it yourself.

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    well apparently it doesn't stone chip, because it's like rubber they bounce off, I hear people use clear plastidip as protection for there front end, besides if it did chip you could just peel it off say the bonnet and spray it again, also yes it does look like primer lol
    It does chip.
    Mine chipped, it survived very well but I did have 1 little bit removed due to a stone but I healed it with some thinners and it was fine.

I would not buy premix dip. I'd rather mix it myself. You get more mix for your money.
    10 litres of premix dip is about £160. mix it your self and its only £120.
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
    It does chip.
    Mine chipped, it survived very well but I did have 1 little bit removed due to a stone but I healed it with some thinners and it was fine.

I would not buy premix dip. I'd rather mix it myself. You get more mix for your money.
    10 litres of premix dip is about £160. mix it your self and its only £120.
    That's what I was thinking, I bought 5ltr of blue and 5ltr of thinner to have it 50/50, just to have a bit of extra in case.

1st Gear

Status
    it's 140 for 10 Ltrs premix from mattpack
    So yeah it's £20 cheaper To mix yourself, however I just like it to be hassle free
    Yolo_8p3 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    With regards chipping, depends how thick it is I guess, mine will have 7-10 coats when finished, I can't see a stone chipping it
    Last edited by R34nel; 15th August 2013 at 19:42.

2nd Gear

Status
    Yeh mate the foggies just clip out with a short sharp tug. Very easy dont be scared to tug them lol

1st Gear

Status
    so I tug them from the front? will it break any clips or owt?

1st Gear

Status
    Looks tidy... nice one

2nd Gear

Status
    No clips no damage. There's a cover behind frony grill that you can wedge off too to scree the fog light off but ya can just peel ya plasti dip off thst or quickly cover it I would imagine. Does seem too simple to pop out but some how they dont with driving about ha.

A3 2.0 tdi s line 170

Status
    This is the first time ive even seen or heard about plasti dipping... AMAZING! One day my car will change colour!

1st Gear

Status
    That's the general idea to change the color of a car in a day without a lot of fuss. That was the idea, but in my honest opinion I think that plasti deep is not for a car like an S3, or any other expensive car. R34nel can you put some more detailed pictures of the door knobs, edges of the doors etc? I'm from Croatia, and 2 months ago a guy that has an RS6 decided to plasti dip his car. The end result was a total disappointment, and I'll give you a link to the gallery of photos so that you can see how they wrecked the car.. The best people in Croatia (with years of experience and background)were involved in this, they did the work in perfect condition (chamber), but the end result was horrible, here's the link to the gallery..

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8370996&type=3

They said the problem was in the stuff, it's just not good enough. It could be good for cheap cars and owners who don't care much. But for more expensive cars like an S3 or RS6 it's literally light years away from a quality paint it should be..and like they say it is.
    Last edited by s3facelift09; 16th August 2013 at 07:39.
    Yolo_8p3 likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    We want updates! Been thinking about doing this myself, torn between blue, green, orange or yellow!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast