Brilliant black - lacquer?

niggtv

Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought an 8P Sportback 2.0TFSI in brilliant black. Can anyone tell me whether this has a lacquer....I would normally assume not for a solid colour, but know that some manufacturers still put a lacquer on non-metallics.

Cheers

There are quite a few scuffs on the tailgate lip - I'd thought if it wasn't lacquered I probably had a bit more leeway to get rid of them (have done this before with 2000 or 2500 grade paper, Farecla G3, then Autoglym SRP and HD wax). However, judging by your signature you're more of an expert in this than I....perhaps I'm wrong in thinking that it'd be easier without lacquer?

Last edited:
Can you get a nail in it?

Yeah some wet/dry & G3 works wonders, but of course using fairy liquid water, G3 is a quick way, but may introduce swirls if its not kept lubricated, it can be harsh in the wrong hands lol.

Thanks for the tips - I've used Fairy in my wet & dry water, but hadn't thought of using it with G3...is this what you meant?

I'm always paranoid of going through the lacquer!

G3 always needs lubricating aswell as its fairly coarse if used dry as such, I recently had cat scratches on my bonnet, luckily just lacquer, so worked on this with G3 & water, they have come out mostly, ideally needs a proper polisher on it, but you cant see them directly without very closely looking at angles, so did the job ok for now.

NHN, any chance I can bend your ear quickly about my own Briliant Black issues?!

Only person bending my ear atm is my 3 year old daughter lol.

Colleague is the detailer fella, I know minor things in comparison.

However a combined collective mind is sometimes better, so post them on the site & see what crops up.

Will do. Can't get any pictures to show it, I'll put something up later. Misuse of Poorboys SSR1 seems to have made minor scratches and swirls a million times worse!