Hitting the ROOF

I

imported_hburnett

There was me looking at my new car, chuffed to bits, when it suddenly dawned on me that the Ali roof rails don't have cross members, nor eng supplied in the car....

I then phoned up said Company Car people, who in turn phoned Leeds Audi for advice... Got the return phone call and Audi don't supply them as standard.... Only as a £180 (fitted) option.... Frickin hell I thought...

How can they justify a £225 Ali Roof Rails and then have the cheek to then ask for another £180 to make the damn things work! What's all that about???

Hence the subject of the post! Ouch, just hit my head!

Anybody know of where I can get these cheap/free?????

h /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

Why would the cross bars be 'dealer fitted'? I thought (may be wrong) that the manual suggested they just slot in and out?

Do a search on here for Thule, has been discussed a few times, can't remember the outcome.

There was an interesting article in Sept Driven mag re the Sportback, think it was their long term test car???

Story was something like guy had roof rails, wanted the roof bars to fit across them to put his Thule box on. Audi dealer eventually got them but then his Thule box would not work with them. Think he ended up getting Thule bars to put across the Audi roof rails and then his Thule box was fine.

I thought that you could fit the cross bar attachments on any A3 SB with or without the rails.

IMO The 'chrome or ali' roof rails are simply a styling option.

Am I missing something?