Folding Door Mirrors

I

imported_simey

I've recently just had my first service and asked for the garage to look at the os door mirror as its been sticking and moves slowly, they put some oil on it and said its ok.

Its still doing the same, I known its only a minor thing but I'm completely hacked of with the car, as when I leave the car for more than 2 days the battery was flat and wouldn't start.

Its taken 4 garage trips & 5 Audi callouts to replace the battery as it wasn't holding its charge.

Audi UK rang me last night for a survey, I told them how it was and called into the garage today and got the feeling I was a thorn in their big toe. I told Audi UK everything is hardwork and I wouldn't buy another Audi I'd buy Japanese. They said "Sorry to hear that sir"

Dealers suck

Some dealers say the mirror thing is a known defect and replace it on warranty.

Others (like mine) say 'we've never heard of that sir, we'll tell audi though in case they have any fixes for it'

Do they think we are all stupid? plainly yes.

I plan to demand a replacement or i'll go to another dealers, that seems to be their worst fear.

I posted about this initially, some time back.

Well I've had mine sorted now!

The mirror refused to fold back out a couple of times and needed a push. Most of the times it was very slow but managed to complete its journey. When it rained it seemed to get better, indicating a lubrication problem. But it still played up.

My car was only a few weeks old so I took it into the dealer. They said it wasn't a 'common' problem but had had it before (!).

Anyway, they didn't argue the fact when I said I wanted it replaced.

The whole mirror housing is replaced less the body coloured 'cap'. Took a couple of hours. The parts were on back order so I had to wait a couple of weeks. During this time the initial problem didn't get better or worse and it never actually packed up completely.

One thing I have noticed it that the new motor seems a tad more noisy than the original. Almost as if it has more 'grunt' - which if the motor has more torque should cure the initial problem perhaps (?)

All in all, problem sorted, minimum of fuss. Pleased with the service from the dealer which, incidentally, was Sutton Coldfield Audi (North of Birmingham)

That's exactly whats happened to my mirror, it folds in and then needs a push to fold out. At present its folding slowly in and out, the dealer has seen this but they think its fine and for them to replace it under warranty it needs to fail.

Looks like another phone call to Audi UK!

[ QUOTE ]
That's exactly whats happened to my mirror, it folds in and then needs a push to fold out. At present its folding slowly in and out, the dealer has seen this but they think its fine and for them to replace it under warranty it needs to fail.

Looks like another phone call to Audi UK!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see that they wouldn't change it if it is just slow - same as they wouldn't change window mechanisms if one window opened or closed slower than the others.....

But if it actually wont open without a push then it has failed, and as such needs to be replaced or they should refund the cost of having "Auto folding mirrors" as they clearly do not "Automatically fold"....

Ask your dealer if they would change a window motor if it stopped closing the window all the way up.....

[ QUOTE ]
Dealers suck

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah,but if the car didn't go wrong in the first place,you wouldn't know the dealer sucked...

I can't pass reliable comment on the local Honda dealer,because the wife's Honda hasn't gone wrong and a one a year service doesn't give an accurate impression of a dealer.

I can tell you my local Audi dealer is excellent.
Why ?
Coz my car's been in so much,unfortunately.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah,but if the car didn't go wrong in the first place,you wouldn't know the dealer sucked...

I can't pass reliable comment on the local Honda dealer,because the wife's Honda hasn't gone wrong and a one a year service doesn't give an accurate impression of a dealer.

I can tell you my local Audi dealer is excellent.
Why ?
Coz my car's been in so much,unfortunately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats actually a really good point. I had a call regarding the service I received from Aylesbury Audi this week from Audi UK (well the marketing company anyway). After rating the dealer to the rafters, they moved on to my car... Where the dealer had scored 4/5 and 5/5 on most things, the highest score for the car was 3.

When he said "Well I'm really pleased that you feel so happy with your local dealer...." I laid into him - they are not local being 45 miles from me, all the local dealers are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif, and I said I would rather not know how good a dealer is, because it means if you do that the car has had so many problems in 6 months that they know me when I walk in and I know all the service advisors by name.....

A sad state of what should be a high quality car...

The Audi product is good but Its hard work dealing with Audi UK & the dealers, that's why I wouldn't buy another one.

Almost all the dealers are the same - I hear good things about Lexus, but if I wanted a Toyota I'd buy one from a Toyota dealer wouldn''t I?

[ QUOTE ]
The Audi product is good but Its hard work dealing with Audi UK & the dealers, that's why I wouldn't buy another one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would tend to disagree at the moment. The more run of the mill cars (ford, honda, saab etc) seem to be more reliable than Audi at the moment. Looks like a little complacency has seeped in. If they were that reliable then no one would be complaining about dealer service or Audi UK service cos they would have no need to have dealings with them.

[ QUOTE ]
Almost all the dealers are the same - I hear good things about Lexus, but if I wanted a Toyota I'd buy one from a Toyota dealer wouldn''t I?

[/ QUOTE ]

An A3 is a glorified Golf,fact.
A Jag is a glorified Mondeo,fact.
A Saab is a glorified Vectra,fact.

(Very simplistic,but basically true)

The Lexus is the only car not based on the platform of another,lesser,model.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct Bowfer in that all these manufacturers share the same platform - enhanced to suit the 'Brand' requirement.

Be careful about elevating Lexus into something beyond being built out of Toyota's parts bin - sure the floor pan is unique but little else is.

Lexus is a 'Brand', not a manufacturer. Toyota own it.....they make a nice fork lift truck too...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct Bowfer in that all these manufacturers share the same platform - enhanced to suit the 'Brand' requirement.

Be careful about elevating Lexus into something beyond being built out of Toyota's parts bin - sure the floor pan is unique but little else is.

Lexus is a 'Brand', not a manufacturer. Toyota own it.....they make a nice fork lift truck too...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that,I was merely pointing out that to berate the Lexus for being a Toyota was a bit rich. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As for the forklift comment,Kawasaki make rolling stock,but it doesn't stop me lusting after their motorbikes.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Had my folding mirror issue looked at today.

Got the car back and tried it out. Mirror did fully unfold the few times I tried it, but I don't think any new motor is in there, at most I'd say they'd only maybe libricated it. The motor still sounds feeble and the mirror takes twice as long as the passenger side to unfold.

I'll be watching it closely... first failure and it'll be back down there like a shot... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

K'in useless.

After just a few folds, it is now grinding to a halt before fully opening. What an absolute waste of time the "work" was that they supposedly did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

So back it will go.

Maybe they should fit a 9v Lego motor to do the job better?

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't buy another Audi I'd buy Japanese

[/ QUOTE ]

Or Scandinavian. I can thoroughly recommend both Volvo (S60 D5SE) and Toyota (Celica VVTi) having had both from new for 3 years. They put the (lower end) German cars to shame.

I really like my Sportback but the cost/quality ratio is significantly lower than either of the above. There's no way I'd have paid the supposed £25k value of my current company car if it was a private purchase.

After having my mirror sticking on and off, the dealers said they 'hadn't heard of it', so I left it and now its fine, seems to have loosened up with use.

Not the point I know, but at least it got better and not worse.

The os mirror is still half the speed of the ns but the fuel gauge isan't working now. I started with half a tank, done 260 miles and still on half a tank, f**king Audi!