Definitive answer, RS3 brakes fit under 18" Rotors without spacers?

VAG_BADGER

Ricers in the rear view!
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I have a brake upgrade to fit to my 2009 S3 from the RS3. The car has the 18" rotors fitted and I was wondering If spacers will be required? I've seen a few threads on here discussing the setup requirements but it appears some people say they will fit without spacers and some people say you will need 10-12mm spacers to clear the wheel? Just after a definitive answer before I do the upgrade and can't get my wheels on!!

Thanks in advance all!

DB

Is the brake setup from the RS3 or the TTRS?

If it's the former, you will be in for a nasty suprise with the discs as they are the wrong offset and do not fit. You need the TTRS ones.

With regards to the rotors, mine are 19" 8.5J ET43 and they fit with plenty of room to spare. I cannot answer for your specific wheels i'm afraid.

Thanks for the reply, thats bad news for me then!! They did indeed come from an RS3, or at least that is what I was told. The part # for the disc is 8P0615301 so i'm guessing the info I received was correct. Not the end of the world, i'm guessing the calipers are the same?! Didn't give a deal for the lot to be honest so I'm not overly fussed. Don't suppose you have a part number for the TTRS discs do you? Typical that the ones of an 8P don't fit and the TT ones do!

Cheers.

My disc part no. is 8PO615301. Was told by my local workshop that it can't fit onto my S38P. Am stuck with it now not knowing what I should do.

They are the old discs anyway and will likely squeal like a *****!

For reference the part number off my RS3's front discs is 8PO 615 301B. You will likely have the old callipers too.

you both have the RS discs then - that sucks.

The TTRS discs are 8J0 615 301 and they fit no problems.

Calipers are the same fit so all is not lost! The recalled calipers were only fitted with two sound deadening devices to the back as far as i'm aware. Brake squeal can be reduced using anti squeal shims which are £5.00 delivered. I have the "older" discs and have had zero issues with squealing.

you both have the RS discs then - that sucks.

The TTRS discs are 8J0 615 301 and they fit no problems.

Calipers are the same fit so all is not lost! The recalled calipers were only fitted with two sound deadening devices to the back as far as i'm aware. Brake squeal can be reduced using anti squeal shims which are £5.00 delivered. I have the "older" discs and have had zero issues with squealing.

Yep they have some anti vibration weights on the back. I think there is a PDF floating around somewhere from user 45bvtc which shows how you can cure the squeal on the original discs/callipers.

The PDF states that the anti squeal shims should be used and thats what i have done with zero squealing thus far.

Thanks all for your help & advice, much appreciated. I will have to try and track down the PDF you speak of just incase I get the squeak.

JamesS4cab - Did you bother running with the TTRS disc backplates or did you just leave it with none? Can't see the point as I know the AP racing kits etc run without? I'll update the thread when I know if the 18 Rotors fit! Suck it and see...

Cheers.

Thanks all for your help & advice, much appreciated. I will have to try and track down the PDF you speak of just incase I get the squeak.

JamesS4cab - Did you bother running with the TTRS disc backplates or did you just leave it with none? Can't see the point as I know the AP racing kits etc run without? I'll update the thread when I know if the 18 Rotors fit! Suck it and see...

Cheers.

An update would be great, when you can of course :)

I have 18" rotors same as you and want to know what brakes will fit under them....

Thinking of fitting a set of these myself, but just wanted to know if you need any extra bits for the fitting beyond the existing setup on the S3?

I plan to get a TTRS MC later on, but as far as all hoses go, do they just connect up to your existing setup?

I can confirm categorically that 18" rotors WILL NOT FIT over the RS callipers. Done. EPIC FAIL. Not even close. Ended up wedging the wheels over the caliper and marking the inside of the rim.

No point. The inside of the rotor wedged onto the caliper. Spacing it out would make zero difference as it was the barrel of the rim and bot just the outer edge as it usually is.

Poor picture as it was late and we were both ****** off by now:

Ah, ok, sorry didnt read your previous post correctly.

Gutted for you :(

I was hoping they would fit as this is what I'm planning - looks like the only answer is new wheels :(

Not my wheels bud. Was helping a mate out as well as creating a definitive list of what does and doesn't fit so others benefit!

My stock s3 rims fit fine so I'm happy!