Door not closing properly...

Shoyeb Ismail

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help!

While climbing out the back of my 3 door A3, my 5 year old opened the passenger door which caught the wind and subsequently now doesn't close properly. There doesn't seem to be any visible damage to the door hinge, however when opening the door drops about an inch from the car. The bottom corner of the door is also now catching the front panel...I can close the door but need to lift and close it at the same time.

Just wondered if there is something that just needs adjusting or is it a bigger job?

Cheers :)

Looks like the door hinges may have been bent, or the door panel shifted a bit. Trot down to your nearest body shop, and let the experts take a look. They have tools to correct this kind of problem. Well worth a try I would think.

I have noticed this with my door on my A3 3 door there is no visible damage and I have always treated it well although the door seems to be misaligned with the rest of the body once it is closed. I have it booked in with Audi as they are treating it as a warranty job and going to realign the door if they can or replace the door panel.

Cheers guys, a friend of mine has a similar issue on his golf and managed to lightly raise the door upwards (using a jack underneath the door) to realign it. Not sure wether there would be a risk of making it worse by attempting this?

Cheers guys, a friend of mine has a similar issue on his golf and managed to lightly raise the door upwards (using a jack underneath the door) to realign it. Not sure wether there would be a risk of making it worse by attempting this?

Like I said just ring Audi if your car is still in warranty just white lie to them about what happened to the door tell them it has just started doing it and see if they will take it in and have a look for you. They may even just realign it for free.

I suppose you dont have much to lose by trying this if not then like Geraldy said take it to a bodyshop or even have Audi bodyshop do it for you.