1st post so here goes..
Have spent the time since i joined reading historic threads via the search function, but would be interested to hear recent thoughts experiences etc...
Looking at moving to an s3 09 plate onwards.
last three cars TVR T350,, A3 170 tdi, and now LCI 535d MSport mapped to 350/510
The 535 is pretty quick and surprises a lot of cars on the road - neck a neck with a M135i to about 120, where i pulled away.
However, it doesn't excite me that much as so smooth and quiet, and although really good handling 95% of the time, you start to feel the 1700kg weight when you push on the twisties.
Anyway I'm looking to move back to a hatch back, and whilst wanting to remain in a quality, almost prestige feel-car, and return to a quick and nimble handling car - I'm starting to lean towards the s3.
Anyway to the questions...
1) Are they out of the box sorted cars, or do you need to upgrade suspension (arb F/R, damper/spring etc, poly bushes), for it to really feel the way it should?
2) Id be looking to tune the car to max safe limits within reason, have looked at stage 1,2,3's etc at few diff. tuning company' website etc... What is the max bhp / ft/lbs you can get from the engine until you need to start changing engine internals etc...?
3) What is real world mpg on both a standard s3, and a stage 2/3 s3? My TVR was about 18-22mpg mix of driving (8mpg if sent on), and the bmw if driven softly would return 38mpg (mix of driving more like 35) - Doesn't really bother me too much as the gf has a diesel qashqai I can use also. Just curious as to what mpg people get?
4) What the different types of servives eg. interim/major/ DSG gearbox etc... are there and what are their mileage and costs? Will be at a local VAG indy that I use.
5) Does anyone have the electronic adjustable suspension option on their s3? Seen this and wondered if it works well?
6) Anything else to be aware of? I've read about the cam follower issues, std clutches being pretty week with DSG being able to handle a lot more, and a few other of the s3 aspects...Looking to buy one within 3 months
Your thoughts and comment would be appreciated.